Low GPA/Decent MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

necro1188

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been wondering what my chances are at possibly getting into an MD program. I think my GPA is my biggest problem, but I'm hoping my experience will help medical schools overlook this. My stats and ECs are listed below, let me know what you think!

Undergrad Major: Biomedical Engineering
cGPA: 3.36 sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 32

ECs:
-5 years spent as a Navy Nuclear Propulsion Officer
-Shadowed various doctors (Anesthesiology, Cardiology, orthopedics) for a total of approximately 2 months
-Volunteer as an EMT for many hours
-Did research in my undergraduate years but I feel that is probably unimportant now

I appreciate any input anyone has ahead of time!

Members don't see this ad.

State of residence?

I'm not sure if this is true, but from what I've read around these forums, your gpa matters less if you have been out of school for 4-5+ years.....They will still look at it, but I think what you did between the time you graduated and now is what matters a lot.... Again i'm not 100% sure on this

Members don't see this ad :)
Post-bac program? Maybe? Just to take a few more upper-level classes but you do have the benefit of being a non-trad student with military experience :thumbup:

Look into EVMS and VCU, I think you may have a shot this year if you apply broadly and get more recent clinical experience.

I've thought about a post-bacc program but I would much rather not have to delay applying even further. (26 is getting old :() I'm hoping that I have a decent chance of getting in somewhere (don't really care where) this cycle.