Other OT-Related Information low GPA, GRE- I GOT ACCEPTED! And I want to help YOU!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTman4

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm typing this on my phone, so I apologize if it is written poorly:

It wasn't until after I graduated with a bachelor's degree in marketing from a state school in 2011 that I realized my real dream was to become an OT. So, I had what I would call a slow start to my path to becoming an OT: MY GPA AFTER GRADUATION WAS 2.5 !!!! I had NO experience in OT, no extra circulars, and I was basically starting from scratch. Fast forward to today and I've been accepted to two MOT programs and two OTD programs.

This post is to let all of you undergraduates worrying about graduate school that you can do it, regardless of your situation, if you want it bad enough.

Like I said, my GPA was 2.5 after graduating in 2011. From 2011-2014, I worked part-time to pay for prerequisite classes (and a lot of bogus classes) to raise my GPA to 3.10 (just past the cutoff). However, my prerequisite GPA is probably around 3.8, maybe 3.9.

I researched an entered a few clubs at the school I was taking my classes at so that I could add them to my resume/get some experience and found OT offices in the area that were willing to allow me observe. To date, I have ~150 observation hours: 30 here, 30 there, 50 here, 25 there, etc.- mostly outpatient places for children and a hospital. It's relatively boring, but most places are willing to help. Just do your best to rack up some experience- it shows you're really trying.

I took the GRE twice. Both times I got around 151-153 Q 150-155 V and 5.0 AW - nothing too impressive, but my scores the 2nd time showed improvement. I can also offer study tips- I studied for 12 weeks for ~3-4 hours a day and I think I wasted A LOT of my time.

I got letters of recommendations from a previous employer, a PT I worked with, and an OT I worked with (I think the PT helped because it shows that you understand how OT relates to other professions and how they might work together for one patient). My personal statement kind of tied the experiences of my recommendation writers together and how it would help me become a good OT.

Finally, and probably most importantly, I researched the schools that I was applying to. I didn't spread myself too thin- I only applied to about 5 and I kept them relatively close geographically to me. I emailed professors, told them I was interested in learning about the program, asked them for help or to meet. If they ignored me, I didn't bother them. If they responded and were willing, I took them up on it and met with them. Basically, at the meetings I would say how interested I was in the program, I'd hand them my CV and ask what they think I could do to make myself a stronger applicant. The meetings weren't as important as the emails- I think it lets the program know how interested you are and it opens a line of communication. At the very least they might recognize your name on an application.

I'm not sure if this will help anyone or not, but I felt the need to post. When I was first beginning my journey, I would read posts on here from people with 4.0's who got outstanding GRE scores and were the head of student organizations. It was completely overwhelming. I'm proof that the not-so-impressive applications will still be considered if you try your best and show how hard you tried. I was at a disadvantage because I used to be an immature/poor student. Thankfully, I was able to explain myself and show that I am now a hardworking/mature individual who is prepared to get their doctorate degree in OT!

PLEASE inbox me if you have ANY questions. I've also been through the interview process 3 times and I think I did pretty well, so I can answer questions about that, too. Use this forum to your benefit- it was a HUGE resource!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 25 users

It wasn't until after I graduated with a bachelor's degree in marketing from a state school in 2011 that I realized my real dream was to become an OT. So, I had what I would call a slow start to my path to becoming an OT: MY GPA AFTER GRADUATION WAS 2.5 !!!! I had NO experience in OT, no extra circulars, and I was basically starting from scratch. Fast forward to today and I've been accepted to two MOT programs and two OTD programs.

This post is to let all of you undergraduates worrying about graduate school that you can do it, regardless of your situation, if you want it bad enough.

Like I said, my GPA was 2.5 after graduating in 2011. From 2011-2014, I worked part-time to pay for prerequisite classes (and a lot of bogus classes) to raise my GPA to 3.10 (just past the cutoff). However, my prerequisite GPA is probably around 3.8, maybe 3.9.

I researched an entered a few clubs at the school I was taking my classes at so that I could add them to my resume/get some experience and found OT offices in the area that were willing to allow me observe. To date, I have ~150 observation hours: 30 here, 30 there, 50 here, 25 there, etc.- mostly outpatient places for children and a hospital. It's relatively boring, but most places are willing to help. Just do your best to rack up some experience- it shows you're really trying.

I took the GRE twice. Both times I got around 151-153 Q 150-155 V and 5.0 AW - nothing too impressive, but my scores the 2nd time showed improvement. I can also offer study tips- I studied for 12 weeks for ~3-4 hours a day and I think I wasted A LOT of my time.

I got letters of recommendations from a previous employer, a PT I worked with, and an OT I worked with (I think the PT helped because it shows that you understand how OT relates to other professions and how they might work together for one patient). My personal statement kind of tied the experiences of my recommendation writers together and how it would help me become a good OT.

Finally, and probably most importantly, I researched the schools that I was applying to. I didn't spread myself too thin- I only applied to about 5 and I kept them relatively close geographically to me. I emailed professors, told them I was interested in learning about the program, asked them for help or to meet. If they ignored me, I didn't bother them. If they responded and were willing, I took them up on it and met with them. Basically, at the meetings I would say how interested I was in the program, I'd hand them my CV and ask what they think I could do to make myself a stronger applicant. The meetings weren't as important as the emails- I think it lets the program know how interested you are and it opens a line of communication. At the very least they might recognize your name on an application.

I'm not sure if this will help anyone or not, but I felt the need to post. When I was first beginning my journey, I would read posts on here from people with 4.0's who got outstanding GRE scores and were the head of student organizations. It was completely overwhelming. I'm proof that the not-so-impressive applications will still be considered if you try your best and show how hard you tried. I was at a disadvantage because I used to be an immature/poor student. Thankfully, I was able to explain myself and show that I am now a hardworking/mature individual who is prepared to get their doctorate degree in OT!

PLEASE inbox me if you have ANY questions. I've also been through the interview process 3 times and I think I did pretty well, so I can answer questions about that, too. Use this forum to your benefit- it was a HUGE resource!

Hi, I am in similar situation. Can you tell me which schools you applied, where you got accepted.

Same here! I really want to get into the OTD program but I am afraid my GPA and GRE is too low.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for your post! I didn't realize I was meant to be an OT till AFTER devoting my bachelors and masters degrees to another profession. I just submitted my application on OTCAS and will be taking the GRE in January. Fingers Crossed!

Thank you for your post! I didn't realize I was meant to be an OT till AFTER devoting my bachelors and masters degrees to another profession. I just submitted my application on OTCAS and will be taking the GRE in January. Fingers Crossed!
Hi there! How come you submitted your app so early? Or are you applying for this years application cycle? Any advice on the application? I am applying for next years cycle

Hi there! How come you submitted your app so early? Or are you applying for this years application cycle? Any advice on the application? I am applying for next years cycle
Hi! I intended on applying to next year's cycle too, but once you add a program on OTCAS they notify the school of your intention to apply. So I'm going for it! You can start plugging info into OTCAS now, just don't add a program, if that's an option. Once the new cycles opens everything will be saved minus your evals/recommendations so wait till you're ready to apply before asking for those. Advice I was given; write your personal essay and have as many people review it as possible. Good Luck!

OP, Great post and thank you! I was in the same boat as well. I graduated from a bachelor's program with a 2.6 GPA and for years I thought i would have to give up on my dream of becoming an OT. My GRE scores were the same as yours and I had similar LORs as well. I've spent 4 years working, taking classes, and gaining a lot of experience to make up for my mistakes in undergrad. It seemed like I would never get anywhere, and i faced plenty of pressure from others saying that I would never be able to measure up against the competition. This past application cycle however, I have been invited for several interviews and been accepted to two programs, one of them being an OTD program.

To everyone out there with low GPAs or thinking they don't have a chance, IT IS POSSIBLE! This forum is filled with people like the OP and I who have been accepted to OT programs regardless of our past academic experiences. Ask questions, research programs, and use the forum for support!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I intended on applying to next year's cycle too, but once you add a program on OTCAS they notify the school of your intention to apply. So I'm going for it! You can start plugging info into OTCAS now, just don't add a program, if that's an option. Once the new cycles opens everything will be saved minus your evals/recommendations so wait till you're ready to apply before asking for those. Advice I was given; write your personal essay and have as many people review it as possible. Good Luck!
Thank you for the advice! So if I were to add a LOR or personal essay in March for example, OTCAS would erase it come July when the cycle opens? Im so glad I posted in this forum then because I assumed it was okay to add those early!

Thank you for the advice! So if I were to add a LOR or personal essay in March for example, OTCAS would erase it come July when the cycle opens? Im so glad I posted in this forum then because I assumed it was okay to add those early!
LOR don't roll over to the next cycle, everything else should from what they hold me when I called. Unless a specific program states otherwise. I believe the personal statement rolls over as well but that's easy to upload again if it doesn't. I downloaded a pdf copy of the entire application just in case.

Hi there! What are some of your GRE study tips? I need to increase my score in math!

Reactions: 1 user