Low GPA, high DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virajpatel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a 2.82 cGPA and 2.56 sGPA. My DAT score is a 22AA and 22TS. I am by no means a student who is using podiatry as a fall back I have actually genuinely developed interest in the field. I was into dentistry but due to my low GPA I explored other options and really got into podiatry. But since I have already taken the DAT and did quite well I wanted it to be of some use to me so I was wondering would I have any chance at temple of NYU with these stats if I was to apply at this time in the cycle and try to get letters and shadow a podiatrist and do all that nonsense.

Members don't see this ad.

I am no expert about the DAT, but I am pretty sure that the only school you can actually apply to with the DAT is Temple. I had to look up what was a good DAT score and it seems like your scores up in the 90 percentile range. But the issue is that you may have to take the MCAT to actually be competitive at a podiatry school. A 2.56 sGPA is pretty hard to overlook. The science questions they ask on the DAT are what you would expect back in a HS science course, while the MCAT is filled with questions that you would never see in even a senior level science course. There is quite a big difference between studying for the MCAT and the DAT.

If you were on admissions committee what would you think of someone with a 2.8 cumulative GPA and a 2.5 GPA in their science courses?

Temple is the only school still accepting the DAT I think, but with your GPA being that low i wouldn't bank on getting in there as a guarantee. You're better off just taking the MCAT, getting a 25-26 and applying everywhere.