Low GPA, high hopes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlmondJoi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought my GPA was higher than it was and felt pretty confident about applying to pharmacy school, until I went online today and did some calculations only to find that my GPA is a 2.41. I feel like I have been punched in my stomach.:barf:

I graduated 2 years ago with my BS in Sociolgy - original track was Biochem/Exercise Science, so I've taken most of the prereqs. Had an AWFUL half year - failed spring and summer semester. Obviously obliterated my GPA, but I didn't remember it being THAT low. :wtf:

I want to be a pharmacist. I love the field. :love:I've been a pharm tech for almost 5 years and lead pharmacy tech for almost 2. I know this will help me, but how much?

I'm taking my PCAT in Sept and praying that I smoke it. I'm studying like a maniac. I got Bs and Cs in my sciences, but nothing amazing.

I need some to know that there is still hope. My pharmacy interns think I'll be fine and give me so much inspiration, but the truth is - its hard out there!

Did anyone else doubt themselves and find themselves pleasantly surprised? All stories and advice are welcome. Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I thought my GPA was higher than it was and felt pretty confident about applying to pharmacy school, until I went online today and did some calculations only to find that my GPA is a 2.41. I feel like I have been punched in my stomach.:barf:

I graduated 2 years ago with my BS in Sociolgy - original track was Biochem/Exercise Science, so I've taken most of the prereqs. Had an AWFUL half year - failed spring and summer semester. Obviously obliterated my GPA, but I didn't remember it being THAT low. :wtf:

I want to be a pharmacist. I love the field. :love:I've been a pharm tech for almost 5 years and lead pharmacy tech for almost 2. I know this will help me, but how much?

I'm taking my PCAT in Sept and praying that I smoke it. I'm studying like a maniac. I got Bs and Cs in my sciences, but nothing amazing.

I need some to know that there is still hope. My pharmacy interns think I'll be fine and give me so much inspiration, but the truth is - its hard out there!

Did anyone else doubt themselves and find themselves pleasantly surprised? All stories and advice are welcome. Thanks! :D

I would encourage you to apply, but your GPA might be a problem. Most if not all schools require your SCI/CUM GPA to be at least 2.5 for qualifications to apply. This means that you will not be able to, they will just throw your application out the window even without looking at it. I would tell you to do post bacc, retake those science classes and at least get 3.7 + so that your overall GPA and science GPA will be higher. You have enough pharmacy technician experiences, so in a meanwhile doing your post bacc, you can do research and other volunteering so you can be a better candidate.

If you go through all that, I think you have a good shot :thumbup:

If you have a 2.41 with a sociology degree, I don't think you have a good shot unless you get A's on all the classes you retake and have a school that does grade replacement. Think about it. You graduated with 120+ credits with that gpa. It's going to take around 2 years with straight A's to pull your GPA back up to a level that doesn't get you immediately disqualified without review (2.75+ typically). You have good background experience as a tech but it would mean little if your application never gets to the point where the adcom sees it and offers you an interview.

Cliffs: It's going to be a long and difficult road. If you're willing to do what it takes, you'll have a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hate to bring bad news but almost every halfway decent school requires a 2.5, many require 2.75, and a few require 3.0.

Even with your great pharm experience and 90+ percentile on the pcat, it will be tough to get in. I had a 3.35 and i was below average for most schools i applied to. I recommend retaking prereqs you did poorly in and crushing the pcat. But to the original question, your gpa is a pretty big barrier/problem.

Sorry and good luck :xf:

I would try to bring that GPA up to AT LEAST 2.5. That seems to be the bare minimum that a program will take, no matter how understanding they might be. Also with a 2.5, if you don't get in, you can at least go to grad school or something before you apply again. The more time you spend out of college, the less your GPA matters, but that also means you will need to have killer experience and a unique application.

My advice would be to find the 20-25 credits that you did poorly in (F/D) from the spring/summer half year. Retake these classes over the course of a year and get A's. Assuming that you received F's in 20 out of the 120 credits you took, retaking them and getting A's would bump up your GPA considerably (up to a 3.0 if they simply replace your grade). Sounds hard but you seem to be motivated to do pharmacy and showing that you can get straight A's over a year will be a great indicator for pharmacy admission boards.