low GPA (high PCAT) but spent so much time getting B.S. already

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

believee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I think my case is a little unusual and I don't really have anyone else to discuss about this. I have been reading a lot of good posts on this forum so I decided to sign up to share my personal story that I haven't really shared with anyone else before. I apologize for it being a little long.

I finished my undergrad with B.S. in biochemistry with an average GPA (3.00). I also attended CC half of the time while I was struggling and my GPA there is 3.5.

Well, I just did a self-calculation of my overall pharmcas GPA and it drops to 2.55.
And I know that my science GPA and pre-req GPA are way lower.

let me get this straight. BS with cummulative GPA os 3.0, CC with cGPA of 3.5

Why PharmCAS's cGPA is 2.55 ?? That is a big discrepancy. Should not be that much difference.

Why?
I failed the courses I took during my first 2 years in college, the time I didn't care, I just didn't have any personal goals. It was almost as if I signed up and just didn't go to school and didn't bother to drop either.

So after failing and failing and losing interest, I tried out all kinds of different courses (which took years) realizing that I actually like science more than any other subjects. Then I found what I want to do for life, pharmacy. So I went back to taking science, my grades improved even though I was taking more credits per semester with upper science courses, then finally got my B.S. in like 8 years after those first couple years of confusion and struggling.

I know my science GPA and pre-req GPA will be really low b/c all these courses are the ones I took during my first 2 years in college (time of struggle). Some were taken 3 times, with the first two times failing b/c I didn't bother (signed up for 2nd time after failing and did the same again, but the 3rd time was when I realized the importance and did well).
I also thought about retaking some of these classes but 1)retaking them won't help me much with improving the science or pre-req GPA, since all these Fs and Ds are the science/pre-reqs from my struggling years and 2) I need a full time job. Have been in school for 8 years! (I currently work part time) My parents are getting old too, I wanna be supportive.

These grades from my freshman and sophomore year is really dragging me down, no matter how much I improved.

I was still planning on applying for next year (just giving it a try) and was about to request for LOR, but I realized some schools require minimum science/pre-req GPA and I feel like I have no hope now when I thought I could show how much I improved additionally by my recent first-time PCAT score of >90% and little explanation in my personal statement.

You have two choices: 1. not retake and instead enter some post bac programs and do very well there and/or applying to low-tier/newish PCAT schools; 2. Find some schools that do GPA redemption (I have heard about schools like that, prob Texas schools ?? Hope someone can chime in here to help... or you read up more on Texas schools and give them a call.)

You can actually do both of my 2 suggestions. Remember to apply to A LOT, yes A LOT of schools ;)

Few questions..

1) When schools state minimum GPA, what are they usually referring to? pharmcas GPA? science GPA? pre-req GPA?

they mean PharmCAS's cummulative GPA (cGPA).

2) How is pharmcas exactly calculating the repeated courses? For instance, I took some course 3 times, and let's say my grade was something like 1 - D, 2 - D, 3 - A for a 4-credit course. Since they take all grades regardless of retakes, is this 2.0 (C) for 4 credit, or do they treat it individually so that it ends up being a 4x3=12 credit worth of GPA?

PharmCAS treats each retake just like another differenct course. In your example, they would do this:

D: 1 x 4 = 4

D: 1 x 4 = 4

A: 4 x 4 = 16

---------------
Total: 24 points : 12 credits = 2.0 points or C avergage

I have never been this stressed in my life. I have always been a positive, bright person that others tell me I make them happy too (which I really appreciate) but I am currently really depressed. My parents who never pushed me to do anything also started telling me that I should consider my age and really need to get a job or go to school asap.

I think your parents are right about you should consider your age and really need a job or go to school asap. Learn some any skills (skills not just jobs) which you can use to make money (e.g. computer engineer/technician, cooks, barber, car mechanic, truck driver, etc). Make that skill(s) a thing that you can always rely on to support yourself first. Not being able to go to pharmacy school and becoming a pharmacist is not the end of world. Pharmacy or even school is not the only option in life. Did you know that Steve Jobs did not even have a college degree and quit college after the 1st semester ??

Indeed, I believe life success depends not on what you do but on how you do it.

Do not give up on school if that is your dream. Be realistic about your case and come up with an according plan/strategy that would get you there eventually.

Should I not even try to apply this year? and instead, re-take some pre-reqs even though it doesn't help me much with my current GPA?

I was just about to ask my professor for LOR..
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much for reading the post.

You should try to apply this year. Never say never. The impossible can happen. But again, be realistic, have a plan and put all your effort in, and have reasonable expectation.

Again, check out those Texas Rx schools. On top of my head, I remember vaguely that someone here on SDN was talking about them doing grade redemption.

GL :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Realistically, it is going to be next to impossible, and expensive, to bring up your GPA any significant amount. Schools can and do make exception to their minimum standards, but you can't really count on that either. As others have suggested, apply broadly, especially to less desirable schools, have a well-written explanation of your GPA for the schools, and proactively contact schools admissions offices to see if they would consider you given your circumstances and they think you should do. And have a back-up career/job plan if you don't get accepted.

Apply to South College in TN.

Apply to South College in TN.

@blueheron : wow I forgot about this one :)

I would like to add some more so the OP could be clear on what we are talking about. Blueheron is suggesting South College because you (the OP) might have great chance as they almost take in everyone. That is a great suggestion !! Check them out and apply. One is better than nothing.

Oh Wow!! I will definitely look into the school too! Thanks a lot!
Yep, I am going to start looking for a full time job as I am applying. I already got myself mentally prepared for all the rejection letters, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what I got from all of them. I am just giving it a shot to few schools just as a first try without much expectation. There's not much I can do at this point, so it will just be a good experience for my "next aka second try" application.
So I am actually planning on working full time as I retake some of the classes so I can plan on reapplying next semester with a little improved stat and also an increased budget.
BTW youguys are awesome. Thanks for all the comments :)

You are very welcome and GL !! :)