Low gpa, low mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kpba225

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm applying MD this cycle but I got a low MCAT. Looking at masters programs as a backup so I don't waste a year doing nothing. Should I enter post bac or masters in addition to retaking my MCAT? If so, any suggestions of programs?

Basic Stats:
cGPA: 3.25
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 490, retook a month after 489.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm applying MD this cycle but I got a low MCAT. Looking at masters programs as a backup so I don't waste a year doing nothing. Should I enter post bac or masters in addition to retaking my MCAT? If so, any suggestions of programs?

Basic Stats:
There are many schools where the test-taking/risk-taking behavior exhibited here is at least as significant as the scores themselves.
A sustained period of academic excellence and a much better MCAT would be necessary to wash away the taste of poor judgement at my school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Take to the Sea!

Do you speak Spanish fluently?
If not :
You need a post-bac and re-eval your study method and maturity. Why would you re-take an MCAT a month after and expect a different result?
You need to get a 510ish to be in better shape and still there are no promises and you need to raise your GPA. Good Luck.

Reactions: 1 users

Basic Stats:

US MD isn't a practical route. Your best bet is to retake the MCAT, get a 505+ and apply DO. Also retake any F/D/C and use DO grade replacement policy.

Basic Stats:

I only applied to 2 instate schools because I did a smdep program to one of them.

Since OP did SMDEP, it is likely that OP is a URM who is trying to see whether the URM card will take her to the Promised Land that is an MD acceptance. If so, she does have a solid fighting chance

Your stats ARE lethal for both MD and DO.

Basic Stats:

Basic Stats:

Basic Stats:

a month after 489.

I'm sorry--- what?

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above. Unless you want to go to the caribbean or elsewhere overseas, you really need to strengthen your numbers. Taking it one month early and with minimal improvement does not help. Go back and retake the classes you did not do well in. Find a tutor and use this to help identify your weaknesses. Same with MCAT. You have to find out where you are lacking. Are you superficially memorizing? Do you need to do more practice questions? Is there a particular subject (or subjects) that is/are dragging you down? Take a year or two to fix this then reapply. A review course would not be harmful either

Don't tell him to go to the Caribbean. He might get in, pay all of that money and then they'll flunk him out. He is exactly the type of student some of those schools are looking for. But then again, maybe that is exactly what this person needs. I wonder if he's a troll.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I would read up on the lady that couldnt land a residency after going to an american medical school! 400k of non dischargable debt.

I agree with the above. Unless you want to go to the caribbean or elsewhere overseas, you really need to strengthen your numbers. Taking it one month early and with minimal improvement does not help. Go back and retake the classes you did not do well in. Find a tutor and use this to help identify your weaknesses. Same with MCAT. You have to find out where you are lacking. Are you superficially memorizing? Do you need to do more practice questions? Is there a particular subject (or subjects) that is/are dragging you down? Take a year or two to fix this then reapply. A review course would not be harmful either

I took a Kaplan course and even had a private tutor :/ I feel like my testing strategy isn't solid.

Don't tell him to go to the Caribbean. He might get in, pay all of that money and then they'll flunk him out. He is exactly the type of student some of those schools are looking for. But then again, maybe that is exactly what this person needs. I wonder if he's a troll.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Not a troll! Seriously just looking for helpful advice.

I was thinking of doing a master's program to boost my academics and retake MCAT. My CARS section is bringing me down a lot.

My CARS section is bringing me down a lot.

You have much bigger issues than just CARS... Most people get a higher score on their first practice test. Completely cold turkey. Sometimes without even the requisite classes yet.

Unfortunately at this point you need to choose a different career path. Spending the time and money on retaking the MCAT is pointless. You would basically need a perfect score to even get your average for all 3 above 500. I'm sorry, but that's the reality. Go get your masters and use it to pursue something else you have interest in.

Ok, first you need to recognize that you have made poor judgment, and figure out why you did it as to not repeat it again. I would definitely do post bacc, not masters. In the meantime, you need to prepare for your MCAT. Definitely suggest taking a prep course in your case.

Don't be discouraged, it'll make things only worse. Rather, take ownership of your mistakes and move on. The re-invention that you are going to undertake in the process will prepare you for med school. Take this as a lesson to make better choices next time :)

Unfortunately at this point you need to choose a different career path. Spending the time and money on retaking the MCAT is pointless. You would basically need a perfect score to even get your average for all 3 above 500. I'm sorry, but that's the reality. Go get your masters and use it to pursue something else you have interest in.

Please be careful about the advice you give on these forums. Some schools do not average MCAT, and I would imagine that it is especially so for DO schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok, first you need to recognize that you have made poor judgment, and figure out why you did it as to not repeat it again. I would definitely do post bacc, not masters. In the meantime, you need to prepare for your MCAT. Definitely suggest taking a prep course in your case.

Don't be discouraged, it'll make things only worse. Rather, take ownership of your mistakes and move on. The re-invention that you are going to undertake in the process will prepare you for med school. Take this as a lesson to make better choices next time :)

why do you suggest a post bac rather than a masters! I understand and accept my mistake and I definitely am motivated to move forward.

why do you suggest a post bac rather than a masters! I understand and accept my mistake and I definitely am motivated to move forward.
A post bacc is specifically designed to help you get into medical school. A masters will help you but I think it's unnecessary imo. It's best to keep your eye on the prize at this point, rather than do other things.

A post bacc is specifically designed to help you get into medical school. A masters will help you but I think it's unnecessary imo. It's best to keep your eye on the prize at this point, rather than do other things.

Yeah I get that but I feel like medical school would be more impressed if I do well in graduate classes. Also, I would prefer a degree then a post bac certificate and I know some have requirements that can guarantee an interview in their medical school..

OP what part of lethal MCAT scores don't you understand. No amount of post bac or graduate work is going to fix your horrible MCAT record. You have a 489.5. MCAT average. That's about a 19 on the old scale. No MD school will take you and I doubt many, if any, DO schools will take you! Your GPAs are low but they aren't the real or only issue!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Please be careful about the advice you give on these forums. Some schools do not average MCAT, and I would imagine that it is especially so for DO schools.

It does not matter if a school averages the MCAT scores or not. The fact that OP scored a 489 and then a 490 is 100% lethal no matter which way you slice it.

It does not matter if a school averages the MCAT scores or not. The fact that OP scored a 489 and then a 490 is 100% lethal no matter which way you slice it.

Actually, a 95% chance of being lethal according to AAMC. That also doesn't account for the possibility of an improved 3rd score sometime down the line.

OP messed up. They know and they're looking for ways to improve, not ways to quit.

That's harsh although I agree OP may need to consider other careers outside of medicine since a 2x low MCAT and low GPA are lethal. But if OP is truly serious about pursuing medicine, she should reevaluate and overhaul her study approach and take a fresh start. DO remains the ideal option for OP once she retakes and excels on the MCAT

One of the biggest problems is that OP is still looking at ways to repair the GPA and seemingly ignoring the giant, glaring issue that is the mess with her MCAT. No amount of grade repair will fix that. End of story. Until she realizes what the real issue is she will not be competitive for DO school.

One of the biggest problems is that OP is still looking at ways to repair the GPA and seemingly ignoring the giant, glaring issue that is the mess with her MCAT. No amount of grade repair will fix that. End of story. Until she realizes what the real issue is she will not be competitive for DO school.

I don't think anyone disagrees.

Except maybe the OP.

lol im not disagreeing. I would like to improve my gpa through post bac or masters and retake mcat. But thanks for your help :clap:

Here's what I'm going to recommend to you you. Take 6 months and prepare whole heartedly for the MCAT. If you get a solid 510 then you have some good options (and don't take this the wrong way that's not likely). If you managed to get a 510 on retake I would do an SMP to prepare yourself specifically for medical school. If you get a 505-510 retake any A's/B's/C's and apply DO. If you get below a 505 with the 2 very low MCATs you probably do need to find another career path.

Here's what I'm going to recommend to you you. Take 6 months and prepare whole heartedly to the MCAT. If you get a solid 510 then you have some good options (and don't take this the wrong way that's not likely). If you managed to get a 510 on retake I would do an SMP to prepare yourself specifically for medi school. If you get a 505-510 retake any As/Bs/C's and apply DO. If you get below a 505 with the 2 very low MCATs you probably do need to find another career path.

This. And note this is likely your realistic best case scenario OP

OP. A masters degree proves nothing. Most masters degrees are not difficult academically and adcoms don't place much if any weight on it to compensate for your poor GPA nd mcat. You need grade replacement for DO schools and then you need to do better on your mcat. You can go get a masters degree but it will just be cost and time spent on something that in the end doesn't fix the very real problems you have.

OP. A masters degree proves nothing. Most masters degrees are not difficult academically and adcoms don't place much if any weight on it to compensate for your poor GPA nd mcat. You need grade replacement for DO schools and then you need to do better on your mcat. You can go get a masters degree but it will just be cost and time spent on something that in the end doesn't fix the very real problems you have.

^^ this

Actually, a 95% chance of being lethal according to AAMC. That also doesn't account for the possibility of an improved 3rd score sometime down the line.

OP messed up. They know and they're looking for ways to improve, not ways to quit.

That 5% chance is for applicants that had a 20th percentile MCAT score once, not TWICE. If OP had gone from a 489 to 505+ then yes there would be a legitimate chance for DO and possibly even some MD. But the fact that OP received not one, but TWO 20th percentile scores (even with a kaplan course and private tutor at that) eliminates that. Sure, there are some medical schools that do reward reinvention, but this is too deep of a hole to come out of.

That 5% chance is for applicants that had a 20th percentile MCAT score once, not TWICE. If OP had gone from a 489 to 505+ then yes there would be a legitimate chance for DO and possibly even some MD. But the fact that OP received not one, but TWO 20th percentile scores (even with a kaplan course and private tutor at that) eliminates that. Sure, there are some medical schools that do reward reinvention, but this is too deep of a hole to come out of.

Except OP never took the MCAT seriously. Taking a Kaplan course + private tutoring doesn't mean OP was serious about the exam. If she was and gave her best attempts... and despite all that scored badly twice, medicine is not for her.

Except OP never took the MCAT seriously. Taking a Kaplan course + private tutoring doesn't mean OP was serious about the exam. If she was and gave her best attempts... and despite all that scored badly twice, medicine is not for her.

It works both ways though. If OP wasn't taking the MCAT seriously (one of the most important exams in going to medical school and becoming a physician), then medicine isn't for her. And if she was taking it seriously and scored that badly, then medicine still isn't for her.

Just met with a tutoring student with 3 MCAT's taken within a year ALL under 485. I was just proud I kept my composure.

It works both ways though. If OP wasn't taking the MCAT seriously (one of the most important exams in going to medical school and becoming a physician), then medicine isn't for her. And if she was taking it seriously and scored that badly, then medicine still isn't for her.
I'd like to think dreams can still be accomplished with hardwork and perseverence. Rather than be quick to blame OPs innate ability I think questioning ops maturity and educational training for undergrad might be more appropriate. OP needs to understand that the road is hard in front of him or her. But not impossible. 30credits at 4.0 plus 505+ would earn op an admission. But in order to do this Herculean task OP needs to acknowledge that there is a problem somewhere in ops education and methods of attending school.op needs to work hard to fix that. That's is a conversation outside the scope of this thread.

Can't disagree with this. But i'm hoping that the former is true so OP has a chance of significant improvement to 505+