LOW GPA/MCAT Success Stories (Posts by Nontrads Already Accepted to Med School)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I posted my low GPA success story in the post-bacc forum, but I guess I'll share here.

1. Your age and GPA and MCAT if you have it.

I was 23 and a college dropout.
GPA: 2.84
BCPM: 2.68

Gotten D's & F's some in upper-division biology classes. I had already quit school and was working dead-end jobs. I decided that I needed to go back to school and get my **** together.

The last 3 years of undergrad schooling, my GPA has been 3.99. Now my GPAs are:
MD GPA: 3.37
MD BCPM: 3.23

DO GPA: 3.43
DO sciGPA: 3.30

I'm 27 now. Crunching the numbers, every 4 semester credit hour class raises my GPA 0.009 :laugh:

2. Your financial and work situation.

At the time I started to get my **** together, I worked crap jobs. I delivered newspapers in the early morning hours. I worked at convenient stores. I did janitorial work. I owned a fail business. Now, as my grades improved, I work teaching and tutoring, and i'm much happier. I also had to take out more loans so I could pay tuition but I was much happier.

3. Your family and significant other situation.

My parents have been incredible most of the time. They left me alone at the right times and let me blow off steam at the right time. They understood when I canceled visits because of work/school. My SO has also been my rock for the past 5+ years especially since we have similar goals. I couldn't have done this without them.

4. Your plan or your path to success.

I went from a barely passing student to straight A's overnight (literally). I just one day decided to change my attitude about school. Instead of seeing my prereqs as stepping stones to get into med school, I viewed them as an opportunity to learn and grow. I stopped feeling entitled to a certain grade just because I studied hard for it. I took time to enjoy my classes and learn for the sake of learning, and the grades went up. I put in less effort and got better results.

Once I saw my undergrad education as an opportunity rather than a chore, I stopped fighting the material and getting A's came naturally.
Hi, would you be willing to contact me, or would it be ok for me to contact you in getting advice and whatnot? I messed up my udergrad year and just want to know how you approached continuing your education and how you approached med school / DO school apps

thanks!
~Fatima
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Your age and GPA and MCAT
Late 20s/ Early 30s.
GPA 3.0x/3.0x
MCAT 35+

First time I applied blindly and broadly to MD schools without knowing what I was doing and ended up late in the application cycle. Crickets. When I realized I was fooling myself, I signed up for a quality (explained later) SMP across the country and took the plunge. I applied a 2nd time while in the SMP to the SMP's medical school and just a handful of others and while I got secondaries from a couple top 10 schools, only 1 interview and 1 acceptance both at my SMP. Fine by me. I'm in.

Here's my history:

From a state with a lot of pre-meds and I graduated undergrad with a 2.6/2.7 as a SCIENCE major so I knew I was in a lot of trouble if I really wanted to go to medical school. I was the somewhat stereotypical lazy college student who didn't go to class, but I didn't have actual problems with the material. To illustrate my point, I've scored in the 95-99th percentile on the SAT/LSAT/GRE. This isn't to toot my horn, but rather to say that I was in a rather unique situation. This post is meant to help anybody who comes across it and I hope I do hope to help people who are seeking to gain admission to medical school. However, at the same time, my situation is relatively unique. My journey was rooted more in learning to understand myself. I was "talented" enough to succeed but had trouble doing so. I went through several years of looking into several possible careers and attempting to get a better feeling for what makes me tick. Luckily for me, I discovered that I ended up really caring about immigrant populations. I grew up around a decent amount of immigrant families and sometime around when I was in undergrad or just starting my career, the DREAM act was gaining traction. I had a friend who ended up confiding in me that he was undocumented in the US even though he was raised all his conscious life in the US and didn't speak any of his "native" language. Whatever your political feelings, I just want to make the point that this gave me a passion. It wasn't restricted to just undocumented persons, but to underserved persons in general. I searched online and found a way to tutor at a school in a low-income, underprivileged area. I spent days/weeks trying to find a free clinic that would take regular volunteers (most want medical/nursing students or trained doctors/nurses). I loved these activities and this is what truly got me into medicine. I hope at this point you have that spark, and if you don't, I suggest you find it before you actually apply to medical school. Your time, effort, and sacrifices will be so much more rewarding. Medical school will feel more like an opportunity rather than a requirement to become a doctor. And when you get to the interview stage and they ask you "why medicine" you have a real answer with real experiences. Don't be the person who writes in their personal statement or talks in their interview about helping people/helping the poor/helping the homeless. According to an admissions committee member at my school, something like 70% of applicants mention poor/homeless/underserved in their personal statements. That's not to say that it can't be true, but you have to prove it if it is true. Don't serve at a soup kitchen once and write that you were inspired. Make it evident through your activities such that you don't even have to write the words. Actions, not words. (Note that you don't have to care at all about helping the underserved. You do have to care about helping people since healthcare is service oriented, but this is just an example since so many pre-meds discuss it. You just need to make sure YOUR inspiration is evident).

I worked in a research lab after college. At first it was a real paycheck and an interesting field that I thought about pursuing. Obviously everyone in a research lab wants you to pursue a PhD and not sell out and become a doctor. So I took the GRE and took the steps to apply before I decided it wasn't for me. Academia is cutthroat and grueling and my heart wasn't in it. I thought about law school and become a lawyer for undocumented immigrants, but further thinking quashed that idea. So I thought laterally and decided to look into healthcare for undocumented immigrants. There are definitely problems with access and quality of healthcare for undocumented immigrants, so I made that my passion and niche. I had visions of myself working in a low-income, high immigrant area as a practicing physician and that vision still holds true. I've just finished my first year of medical school and I'm still doing volunteering activities with the poor and underserved and still on track to practice underserved medicine. The benefit of being a non-trad is that my decisions are more firm. In medical school, they tell you that you'll change your specialty choice changes several times while going through rotations during 3rd year. I can't say that it won't happen, but I feel as though my intentions coming into medical school are more strongly rooted than those of my younger/less experienced classmates.

Worked for several years in a research lab. I switched jobs as my interests changed, but I never really found a career that I thought I could settle into. Working was invaluable for several reasons. First, I had to start paying back student loans from undergrad. That was eye opening. Also, I had real spending money for the first time which was amazing and fun. I got to spend my early 20s going out with friends in the middle of the week if I felt like it and doing some light traveling and picking up hobbies that I thought were interesting. I learned about personal finance and students loans and I went to a lot of happy hours and I learned the guitar and I made new friends. I became a real adult. As a non-trad, I understand why medical schools like people who have been in the work force and have life experience. It's about perspective.

I have a partner. We decided early on to commit to each other and that my partner would follow me for medical school/residency and then I would follow my partner (not in medicine) for work in the future if need be. We decided we always wanted to be together and that we would sacrifice career options for each other. If you have a long term significant other, this is a conversation you need to have at the beginning of your relationship. The process of becoming of a doctor is long, grueling, and can take you across the country. I know classmates who are doing long distance. It can definitely work, but my partner and I decided against it. Have a plan before you have to start making ultimatums to each other.

4. What I did wrong or would have done differently
So I graduated with a terrible low GPA. Somehow through SDN or other sources, I decided that a 3.0 was the hard cutoff for getting into medical school. The university I worked at allowed me to take classes for free (HUGE benefit) so I signed up for upper division biology courses which I encourage you to do if you have GPA deficits. However, I started off with 3 courses while I was still working full time. Huge mistake. I got a couple As but also a C. I was so focused on how many units of straight-A work I would need to get to a 3.0 that I neglected to address my terrible studying habits. Even though I didn't have trouble with the material per se, I had trouble setting aside time for studying and being a good student. If I were to do it again, I would start with one class and I would get an A/A+. If I didn't get that grade, I would again take one single class. Then, having understood how to study and perform well, I would bump it up to 2 classes, then 3. Also, go to office hours. I never went in undergrad and didn't want to go when I started taking classes again. Force yourself to just sit there and talk about anything. You need rec letters from professors and you need to cultivate relationships. Talk about your kids, talk about life, talk about the school material. Just talk to them. Especially because I didn't perform well in undergrad, doing well in these classes (and having a rec letter that reinforced that) was important for both medical schools to see that I can be a good student and to myself to know that I wouldn't procrastinate and flunk out of med school as a smart/lazy student.

5. What I did right

My SMP. I researched SMPs both on SDN and through web searches to find out what worked best for me. I wanted an SMP that specifically allowed me to take medical school courses. I figured by this time that I had mastered undergrad courses and Masters level courses aren't necessary as grueling. Being able to show that I could perform well in medical school courses was the way to show that I was ready for medical school. For me, the most important criteria for the SMP was how many students went from the SMP into medical school. Specifically, I wanted a medical school that would take a large proportion of its own SMP students. If a school matriculates 100% of its SMP students into its medical school, I'm going there. If a school says that 100% of its students matriculated somewhere, I'm going there. If a school says that within 5 years "most" students are in a graduate program of some kind, I think twice. I was desperate to get in, and this was the most obvious way to get in. If you're enrolling in an SMP, you aren't in a position to be picky. If location is not a deal breaker, find the SMP that has the best chance of getting you into medical school. Period. Obviously you have to do well in the SMP. If you're older, I assume you will find a way to do well.

For those of you who are younger (early/mid 20s) or willing to take a longer route. I briefly considered moving to Texas for medical school. If you live and work in any job in Texas for 1 year, you gain Texas residency. You can literally work at a McDonalds for a year and become a Texas resident. Once you're a Texas resident, you can apply to their ~11 medical schools in which they take 95% Texas residents. Some of their lower tier schools have some of the lower GPA/MCAT averages among medical schools. Not only would you have a bevy of in-state medical schools to apply to, but all (public?) Texas schools have ridiculously low in-state tuition rates. A friend is paying something like 20k a year in tuition and the cost of living in Texas is generally much lower than across the country. Keep in mind that this process is longer because you have to live for at least one year in Texas BEFORE you can apply. I would also imagine that you would want to find a job in a field that you are interested in or that is healthcare related instead of taking a minimum wage job somewhere. Also, it would be hard if you have no friends or support group. But, having said all that, I feel like moving to Texas could be a great opportunity for some people.

6. Conclusion.
If you're someone with a low GPA, fix it slowly. For any applicant, be sure you have a real reason for pursuing medicine that you can back up with your activities. Words are meaningless without proof. If you have a low MCAT/GPA and really think you're ready for medical school (fixed your study skills, have relevant clinical experience, rest of application is good to go), then think hard about doing an SMP. It's a sacrifice of 1 year and lots of money, but it can pay out huge dividends if you take it seriously.

For people worried about paying off medical school, there are things like the National Health Service Corps, Health Professionals Scholarship Program for the Military, and Public Service Loan Forgiveness for non-profit work. According to some friends who have already started their careers, some employers offer loan payments as signing bonuses. For example, you may receive $100k loan payment as a bonus when you start to help you pay off your loans.

Ask me what questions you have. I'll do my best to answer them for the next few days. Good luck to all of you and I hope you succeed in your endeavors.
That was an absolutely wonderful piece. Thanks for sharing and more power to you in your future endeavors!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys just thought I would post my story here. I had a 2.05 science gpa after my sophomore year in college. I really never studied hard or took school seriously and I got straight C's in almost all of my pre-reqs. I hung out with the wrong people and got drunk all the time those 2 years. My junior year, I decided to shape up and start studying more. Unfortunately, that's when school curriculum also got harder and I was still making C's in classes like orgo even with the increased studying. I started staying in the library all day, everyday and found online tutors. My grades slowly improved and I was getting A- and A's my senior year of college. I stayed in college for a few extra years and got my science GPA up to a 3.15 by taking a TON of upper level science classes that I didn't need. My AMCAS said I had >240 undergrad and >30 graduate credits. I got a 29 on the mcat after a terrible performance (I timed myself wrong and had to blindly guess on 15 on PS and noticed one was blank after submitting) I did an SMP and did around the med student average because med school classes are ****ing hard. It showed I could pass med school classes and if I was a med student, I would've been fine, but as an SMP student, "average" is death. I interviewed at my SMP school but didn't get in. So I did a gap year after my SMP. I started working as a scribe and started the re-application process, this time applying to 41 schools. I didn't even get an interview invite at my SMP school the second time around, so I was feeling pretty hopeless and started applying for jobs in another field as a back-up plan. Then in March, I got an interview invite to one school, and was accepted in April. I quit my scribe job, dropped any MCAT retake studying and am now an M1 at a U.S. MD school, my only acceptance after 2 years of applying with mediocre stats and as an Asian male.

Last edited:
Reactions: 29 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys just thought I would post my story here. I had a 2.05 science gpa after my sophomore year in college. I really never studied hard or took school seriously and I got straight C's in almost all of my pre-reqs. I hung out with the wrong people and got drunk all the time those 2 years. My junior year, I decided to shape up and start studying more. Unfortunately, that's when school curriculum also got harder and I was still making C's in classes like orgo even with the increased studying. I started staying in the library all day, everyday and found online tutors. My grades slowly improved and I was getting A- and A's my senior year of college. I stayed in college for a few extra years and got my science GPA up to a 3.15 by taking a TON of upper level science classes that I didn't need. My AMCAS said I had 247 undergrad and 34 graduate credits. I got a 29 on the mcat after a terrible performance (I timed myself wrong and had to blindly guess on 15 on PS and noticed one was blank after submitting) I did an SMP and did around the med student average because med school classes are ****ing hard. It showed I could pass med school classes and if I was a med student, I would've been fine, but as an SMP student, "average" is death. I interviewed at my SMP school but didn't get in. So I did a gap year after my SMP. I started working as a scribe and started the re-application process, this time applying to 41 schools. I didn't even get an interview invite at my SMP school the second time around, so I was feeling pretty hopeless and started applying for jobs in another field as a back-up plan. Then in March, I got an interview invite to one school, and was accepted in April. I quit my scribe job, dropped any MCAT retake studying and am now an M1 at a U.S. MD school, my only acceptance after 2 years of applying with mediocre stats and as an Asian male.

Going to ask before someone else does, which school?! I'm happy for you, I really am!

Hey guys just thought I would post my story here. I had a 2.05 science gpa after my sophomore year in college. I really never studied hard or took school seriously and I got straight C's in almost all of my pre-reqs. I hung out with the wrong people and got drunk all the time those 2 years. My junior year, I decided to shape up and start studying more. Unfortunately, that's when school curriculum also got harder and I was still making C's in classes like orgo even with the increased studying. I started staying in the library all day, everyday and found online tutors. My grades slowly improved and I was getting A- and A's my senior year of college. I stayed in college for a few extra years and got my science GPA up to a 3.15 by taking a TON of upper level science classes that I didn't need. My AMCAS said I had 247 undergrad and 34 graduate credits. I got a 29 on the mcat after a terrible performance (I timed myself wrong and had to blindly guess on 15 on PS and noticed one was blank after submitting) I did an SMP and did around the med student average because med school classes are ****ing hard. It showed I could pass med school classes and if I was a med student, I would've been fine, but as an SMP student, "average" is death. I interviewed at my SMP school but didn't get in. So I did a gap year after my SMP. I started working as a scribe and started the re-application process, this time applying to 41 schools. I didn't even get an interview invite at my SMP school the second time around, so I was feeling pretty hopeless and started applying for jobs in another field as a back-up plan. Then in March, I got an interview invite to one school, and was accepted in April. I quit my scribe job, dropped any MCAT retake studying and am now an M1 at a U.S. MD school, my only acceptance after 2 years of applying with mediocre stats and as an Asian male.

First of all, congrats on your acceptance to med school! Your hard work and perseverance paid off in the end. If you don't mind me asking, which SMP program did you attend? How different were the SMP classes compared to what you were typically used to in undergrad and how did you change your study method (if you did) to keep up with them? Good luck in your first year as a med student!

First of all, congrats on your acceptance to med school! Your hard work and perseverance paid off in the end. If you don't mind me asking, which SMP program did you attend? How different were the SMP classes compared to what you were typically used to in undergrad and how did you change your study method (if you did) to keep up with them? Good luck in your first year as a med student!

I don't want to say any school names but my SMP was one of the well-known ones. Med school courses aren't conceptually difficult, but it's a ton of information. The other big difference is that your peers in med school classes are way smarter than they were in undergrad. My masters class was graded based on the MD student performance. It wasn't uncommon for a test average to be above 90%. Students in med school have all gotten straight A's their whole life, so don't be surprised by how high they can set the bar.

I'd say the biggest change I made while studying was making sure that I actually knew the material from memory as opposed to just understanding it as I go through it. Be able to explain stuff cold. Make flash cards for simple associations that need to be memorized (Muscle X is innervated by nerve Y. You would put something like "Muscle X is innervated by" on the front and "Nerve Y" on the back). Draw out diagrams from memory. Also you should try to condense all of testable material from the lectures into an outline or concept-map so that it can be reviewed easier. Going through all the slides and reading all the fluff (excess words, non-testable material, a professor's failed attempt at humor, etc.) more than once is a waste of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This forum is such an inspiration to me.

32yo WM. Just finished 2nd year at LECOM-Bradenton (D.O.) and loving it.

My GPA when I returned to school as a community college sophomore was a whopping 1.5, or less...I'm not sure. I had a bunch of classes that I "dropped" without withdrawing from = a bunch of F's. In the end:

cGPA = 3.3
sGPA = 3.8

MCAT = 28R (BS 10, PS 8, VR 10)

Quit my job as assistant manager of a music store and guitar teacher to go back to school. My parents loaned me about $10k to pay off my credit cards and my car loan.

Married. My wife is a dental hygienist. She makes around $50k/yr now, give or take. We have an 8 year old daughter. Wife's family helped us out a lot financially while we were both in undergrad at the same time.

Plan: Finish med school while enjoying the beach. Stay in Bradenton-Sarasota, Florida forever. LECOM-B is opening some new residencies here by the time I graduate, so I'm hoping that I wind up enjoying one of those specialties...we love it here and want to stay here so bad. Leaving for residency will be heart breaking...

Not really worried about anything. Lots of student loans to pay back, obviously, but even on an average pcp salary of $150k/yr + wife's $50k/yr, we won't have ANY trouble. Loan payments will be approximately $3k/month. We'll be taking home at least 10k/month after taxes. That leaves us 7k/month to live on. Shouldn't be an issue...and that's worst case scenario and not counting income-based repayment plans...

Work hard. Give 110%. Med school rocks!

Very inspirational! Do you remember how many Fs at cc ?

I posted in one of these earlier, but this is an old thread that I used to come look at and I feel like it deserves some loving, so:

GPA: 2.55
sGPA: 3.26
MCAT: 36.

Of note, though, is that I graduated with a Bachelor's in 2009 with a whopping 1.86 GPA and 1.66 sGPA.

2. I worked full time as an engineer and then project manager while performing my post-bacc.

3. I have a young son who was born just after I began my post-bacc crusade. His mother has him three days a week and I the other four.

4. My path to success was just an insane amount of focus. Never lost sight of where I wanted to be. Never let anyone tell me I couldn't do it.

Reactions: 14 users
GPA: 2.55
sGPA: 3.26
MCAT: 36.

Of note, though, is that I graduated with a Bachelor's in 2009 with a whopping 1.86 GPA and 1.66 sGPA.

May I ask how long/how many hours did you have to do post-bacc to double your sGPA?

GPA is just basic math; here's an estimate:

Assuming 1.86 GPA across 120 credit hours, you'd need 60 (1/2 of UG) hours of 4.0 to bring it up to ~2.57
Assuming 1.66 sGPA across 30 credit hours, and assuming all the previous 60 hours of 4.0 were BCPM, the new sGPA would be ~3.22

basically he had to (at a minimum) take two times the number of science classes that he did in UG and get all 4.0. If < 4.0, then more classes are needed. also, since he's accepted to MD, no grade replacement calculation, straight up average

with all that calculation done, it is pretty impressive for @dataDyne2 to do what he did. The upward trend, commitment, and (recent) academic abilities were probably looked upon favorably.
May I ask how long/how many hours did you have to do post-bacc to double your sGPA?

Last edited:
This is an amazing thread. I wish I had seen this 3 years ago. I stopped going on SDN bc many posts were too demoralizing when I was looking at going back to school. BTW I just got accepted to my top choice!

36 now 37 when I start next fall.
Undergraduate GPA - 2.1 (15 yrs ago)
Post Baccalaureate GPA- 3.75 all science
MCAT 8 physical/ 11 VR / 9 biological

Finances are fine. Currently doing paid research- stopping before school, obviously.

Married with 2 young children.

I knew from the beginning that it was an uphill climb. I started a DIY post bacc and then moved into an official post bacc program at the same school. I quit working to do it full-time. I made it my new job. I made it my mission to get to know my profs so I could get good letters of rec. I found a med school I really liked and I went to every open house they had. I think 5 over the course of 2 and half years plus several recruitment events on my campus. When I finally got an interview there they knew me, I wasn't a sheet of stats, they didn't have to figure me out during the interview.
In all honesty I worried about my undergrad GPA until the moment I had that acceptance in my hand but it kept me hungry and made me push that much harder.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The upward trend, commitment, and (recent) academic abilities were probably looked upon favorably.

Absolutely! I had a miserable undergrad GPA and did well in my post bacc. Schools definitely look at the trajectory and what you have done lately.

GPA is just basic math; here's an estimate:

Assuming 1.86 GPA across 120 credit hours, you'd need 60 (1/2 of UG) hours of 4.0 to bring it up to ~2.57
Assuming 1.66 sGPA across 30 credit hours, and assuming all the previous 60 hours of 4.0 were BCPM, the new sGPA would be ~3.22

basically he had to (at a minimum) take two times the number of science classes that he did in UG and get all 4.0. If < 4.0, then more classes are needed. also, since he's accepted to MD, no grade replacement calculation, straight up average

with all that calculation done, it is pretty impressive for @dataDyne2 to do what he did. The upward trend, commitment, and (recent) academic abilities were probably looked upon favorably.

Yeah you've got it right. I did 66 credits post-bacc, with my first A- or less coming in the last 6.

Glad this got bumped. I used to read this thread religiously and think about posting in it myself one day.

cGPA: ~3.3
sGPA: ~3.7
MCAT: 35

Worked full-time on a psych unit and was finishing a master's in social work when I took Gen chem. Worked part-time and school full-time for two semesters while i finished prereqs.

I was fortunate to have a lot of support from my parents. I even moved in with them for the year during which i finished prereqs and took the MCAT. I met my fiancee last year and we are getting married next month. She is a newly minted Vet and is very supportive.

It didn't take long reading this site to find out the basics of applying. My cGPA was like a 3.0 when I started postbacc. My sGPA had not been damaged much though. I new I was going to have to make A's and kill the MCAT to get MD. I read Goro's posts that said acceptances to MD schools with a 3.3 were outliers, but I also new that I was automatically somewhat of an outlier as a nontrad. I also read that reinvention was valued by many schools. I knew I could get in DO if I checked the boxes. So I made sure I checked all the boxes, even the ones I didn't think made much sense. For instance, I shadowed a primary care doctor for like 50 hours. I didn't see much purpose in it, but I did it because I was told shadowing experience would matter. I think for nontrads to have checked the same boxes as the normal premeds is a huge boost as it makes adcoms feel comfortable. Essentially it makes it easier for them not to ding you and just register your nontraditional status as a plus. I did some voluntary research as well. Other than that I did the same thing everyone does, I studied hard for classes and tried to kill the MCAT, I jumped through all the hoops my premed adviser set out for us to get a committee letter, and I tried to be myself at interviews. In the end it garnered me 2 MD acceptances. It went better than I had hoped to begin with to tell you the truth. Initially I thought I'd be going to a new DO school in my state. I'm actually going to go to an MD program in a city that I love.

Things I wish I had done differently:
I can't really say I regret anything. Perhaps I would have done more research to make myself more competitive at top tier schools.

Things I know I did well:
Harped on my medical experience. I worked in the field for 4 years before interviewing and I came back to that constantly in my interviews. I hammered the point that it was actual work in the field that led me to choosing medical school. I also didn't dwell on past mistakes. I mentioned it and moved on. Essentially I said I was dumb and then I stopped being dumb and moved on from there to talk about what I've been doing for the past 5 years. They didn't need the details and I didn't give them to them. In my interviews they didn't even really care. They were far more concerned about my recent past.

Last edited:
Thought I'd put my info up on this. I'm a new member, but I've been reading these boards since I was a pre-med and I loved this thread so much I decided to stop lurking and post.

I'm a non-traditional student and now I'm a MS1 at Wright State University :)

I was 30 when I started the application process and 31 when I started med school. I went to college for a year when I was 18, had a 3.0 GPA then. When I went back 10 years later to start over, I had a 4.0. That made my total AAMCAS GPA right around a 3.85, with a sGPA of 3.9. I took the MCAT once, and had a 30 composite (10 BS, 8 PS, 12 VR).

When I first went to college, it was really difficult financially to pay for it. Loans didn't cover all of the tuition, and my parents weren't able to close the gap. After a year, there just wasn't enough money, and scholarships weren't as common then. So, I left college and went to work as a CNA in nursing homes. Later, I put myself through paramedic school by working 50 hours a week at the nursing home and studying when I had the chance. I got my paramedic licence and went to work.

I loved it, but I got sick in 2008 and ended up getting diagnosed with a congenital immune deficiency that had previously been missed. My body was shutting down from the repeated infections and my doctors told me I had a 50% chance of living to my 30th birthday (I was 24 at the time). Lucky for me, I was also born with a stubborn streak a mile wide, so I wasn't about to give up without a fight. I spend the next 4 years homebound, and worked with my doctors to get my condition under control. The treatment worked, and my health started to stabilize to the point where I had to start thinking about what to do with the rest of my life.... since I was actually going to have a rest of my life. I have always felt like my purpose in life was to be in medicine, so I decided to go back to school and pursue my original dream of getting my MD. Since I was on disability, getting financial aid was suddenly easier and I was able to pay for school. I finished my undergrad and applied to med school, and here I am...

I don't have any kids (unless the 4 legged variety counts). I moved back to my parent's house when I got sick, and since med school means being poor I'm staying here until I finish. It works out well, since I'm blessed to have a family that is very supportive of my dream.

Perhaps the most important advice I can give someone is this: NEVER GIVE UP!! This road is hard, probably moreso for those of us who started a bit later than most. That being said, it's more than worth it. If this is your dream and you can't imagine doing anything else with your life, then reach out for it with both hands and don't let go.

Things I wish I had done differently:
1. apply early - I didn't anticipate how much the application process would cost, so I ended up turning in my primary app in October. That made everything more stressful, since I was late in the cycle. Especially if your numbers aren't as competitive, you want to get your stuff in early.

2. study differently for MCAT - I spent most of my time on the book stuff, and only did a few practice tests. If I had to do it again, I would have spent much more time on the practice questions, since I think they were more useful.

Things I know I did well:
1. used my age to my advantage - we older non-trads have a wealth of life experience and maturity that a lot of the 20 something group doesn't. This is how we can shine in interviews. In every interview I had, I made sure to bring this out. When the interviewers asked that all important question, "why should we accept you to this school?" I knew I could give them an answer. By the time I was 30, I knew who I am and what I stand for, while at 21 I was still figuring it out. I could tell the interviewers with complete conviction that I knew exactly what I was getting myself into, and that I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is what I am meant to do with my life.

I hope this helps someone... even if just to say that there are a lot of non-trads who have made it. It can be done. :)

Last edited:
I've read everyone's reply on this thread and I am very motivated now. Thank you for all your stories. I have posted my own story and I need some further advice if anyone wants to check it out I would appreciate it!!

After following this forum for years, I can finally post here.

I will be 41 when I start med school. When I decided to pursue this path I had a 2.98 GPA and my science GPA was even worse. I had Ds in every physics and calculus class that I had taken in undergrad, an F in an engineering course, and more Ws than any student should ever collect. By the time I applied, I had raised my undergrad GPA to 3.19 and paired that with a 35 MCAT and a 4.0 graduate GPA.

I own a house and am currently "employed" as a PhD student, earning enough with my stipend to make ends meet. I saved enough to afford one round of broadly applying to schools (47 of them)!

I am happily married to a very supportive husband, who is currently also a PhD student. He will finish his PhD and start working when I start med school so that will make finances a little easier.

Med school seemed like a pipe dream when I started down this path. At the time, I was in an extremely well-paying job that was tolerable but in which I felt that I wasn't leaving a positive mark on the world. I know, it sounds very naive, but I want to make the world a better place.

Everyone I spoke to told me to forget about med school with such a poor academic history, but when I set my mind to something I can be determined-bordering-on-obsessive. I also had a geographic problem in that I was living in Europe, without any means of taking the premed classes. I was also interested in neuroscience and research, so my plan became: enter a neuroscience PhD program in the US first (scientific advances are also a good way to give back to the world), try to take the premed classes at the same time, and then see how I feel about med school in a few years.

I just barely made it into the PhD program of my choice, being the last person picked from the waitlist. I had an incredibly high score on the GRE test which helped tremendously in overcoming my GPA. I then had the good fortune to end up in a research lab with professors who were supportive of my crazy ideas, so I began taking premed classes in the second year of my PhD. I studied like I had never studied before and managed to get mostly As and a few Bs (organic chemistry, I will hate you forever). The further I progressed, the more optimism I had that this plan might actually work out. Perhaps it would take more than one application round, but it could be done. I am very appreciative of all the helpful advice that I received on SDN.

Things that went well:
1) I applied early, within a few days of the AMCAS application opening.
2) I had built up an unusual collection of ECs over the years that showed my ability to handle stress, be a leader, and be sensitive to the needs of others.
3) All the years of trying to explain to others whyyyyyy I wanted to go to med school after a first career and then a PhD gave me plenty of practice in answering "why medicine".
4) I'm a capable writer, so I was able to churn out good secondary essays for all of those applications in a short amount of time.
5) Having funds to apply broadly. I was surprised by some of the places that offered me an interview. With less funds saved up I would not have bothered trying at those schools.

Things that I would do differently:
1) My shadowing and clinical volunteering hours were on the low side. I didn't start them until about 6 months before applying. It was difficult to find the time to do so, but that isn't a good excuse.
2) I took the honors/advanced versions of the prerequisite courses. I did that because I really did want to understand the material better, but in retrospect I should have taken the versions that would have been less work for a higher grade. I think adcoms would have preferred an A in a normal course over a B+ in an honors course.
3) I rushed to take the old MCAT because there was so much more study material available for it than the new MCAT. Due to the rush, I ended up taking it before I had retaken my physics classes. I ended up having to teach myself physics while studying for the MCAT. It worked out ok but at the cost of doing nothing other than 14-hr study days for the three months before the test. By the end I was mentally fried. In retrospect, it would likely have been better to just wait and try the new MCAT.

Reactions: 5 users
As I am overwhelmed with my studies for the ACS exam for Gen. Chemistry and finals for Biology, taking a break and strolling through this thread gives me that extra motivation to push harder. No lie!!!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this thread and find so much motivation in it. Especially leaving a separate thread on this very site where people were discouraging me for my 2.8 GPA =(. I won't let it stop me though. Give me a year and I'll be back to post my own actual success story! Until then, I'll just continue to use you all's success for that extra kick when I need it! =)

After following this forum for years, I can finally post here.

I will be 41 when I start med school. When I decided to pursue this path I had a 2.98 GPA and my science GPA was even worse. I had Ds in every physics and calculus class that I had taken in undergrad, an F in an engineering course, and more Ws than any student should ever collect. By the time I applied, I had raised my undergrad GPA to 3.19 and paired that with a 35 MCAT and a 4.0 graduate GPA.

I own a house and am currently "employed" as a PhD student, earning enough with my stipend to make ends meet. I saved enough to afford one round of broadly applying to schools (47 of them)!

I am happily married to a very supportive husband, who is currently also a PhD student. He will finish his PhD and start working when I start med school so that will make finances a little easier.

Med school seemed like a pipe dream when I started down this path. At the time, I was in an extremely well-paying job that was tolerable but in which I felt that I wasn't leaving a positive mark on the world. I know, it sounds very naive, but I want to make the world a better place.

Everyone I spoke to told me to forget about med school with such a poor academic history, but when I set my mind to something I can be determined-bordering-on-obsessive. I also had a geographic problem in that I was living in Europe, without any means of taking the premed classes. I was also interested in neuroscience and research, so my plan became: enter a neuroscience PhD program in the US first (scientific advances are also a good way to give back to the world), try to take the premed classes at the same time, and then see how I feel about med school in a few years.

I just barely made it into the PhD program of my choice, being the last person picked from the waitlist. I had an incredibly high score on the GRE test which helped tremendously in overcoming my GPA. I then had the good fortune to end up in a research lab with professors who were supportive of my crazy ideas, so I began taking premed classes in the second year of my PhD. I studied like I had never studied before and managed to get mostly As and a few Bs (organic chemistry, I will hate you forever). The further I progressed, the more optimism I had that this plan might actually work out. Perhaps it would take more than one application round, but it could be done. I am very appreciative of all the helpful advice that I received on SDN.

Things that went well:
1) I applied early, within a few days of the AMCAS application opening.
2) I had built up an unusual collection of ECs over the years that showed my ability to handle stress, be a leader, and be sensitive to the needs of others.
3) All the years of trying to explain to others whyyyyyy I wanted to go to med school after a first career and then a PhD gave me plenty of practice in answering "why medicine".
4) I'm a capable writer, so I was able to churn out good secondary essays for all of those applications in a short amount of time.
5) Having funds to apply broadly. I was surprised by some of the places that offered me an interview. With less funds saved up I would not have bothered trying at those schools.

Things that I would do differently:
1) My shadowing and clinical volunteering hours were on the low side. I didn't start them until about 6 months before applying. It was difficult to find the time to do so, but that isn't a good excuse.
2) I took the honors/advanced versions of the prerequisite courses. I did that because I really did want to understand the material better, but in retrospect I should have taken the versions that would have been less work for a higher grade. I think adcoms would have preferred an A in a normal course over a B+ in an honors course.
3) I rushed to take the old MCAT because there was so much more study material available for it than the new MCAT. Due to the rush, I ended up taking it before I had retaken my physics classes. I ended up having to teach myself physics while studying for the MCAT. It worked out ok but at the cost of doing nothing other than 14-hr study days for the three months before the test. By the end I was mentally fried. In retrospect, it would likely have been better to just wait and try the new MCAT.

Wow! Thanks for sharing! You are an inspiration to all of us!

I've been a member on here for almost a year and never posted anything. But this thread has me motivated to not give up. Congrats to all!

So excited to post to this thread! I was actually accepted in late september and forgot all about posting my stats here. I applied early decision to an MD program and that gamble paid off, I was accepted 6 days after I interviewed. So excited to start this fall.

Age: 27, will turn 28 right at the start of matriculation
uGPA:3.30 -- dual degrees in biology and psychology
sGPA:3.00
postbac: 4.00 (free classes while I worked for a university)
MCAT: 11BS, 7PS, 11VR
masters degree in pharmacology 3.91, 1st in class

Worked full time as a research assistant in for two years, took the mcat while I worked here. Entered a one year masters program in pharmacology. (Applied to med school during this year and was not admitted). Currently work as a full time research associate in internal medicine. Massive undergrad and grad loans, no parental assistance with anything.

For most of my path (7 years) I was in an abusive relationship but in late 2014 I was finally able to end it and have been in a much better place since then. Just started dating a new boyfriend.

I have always been very involved in EC work, and have a lot of volunteer work. A lot of leadership experience and more research hours than I can count. I have some publications and worked very very hard in my masters degree to prove I was capable of achieving excellent grades in graduate level work. Ultimately, I just had to wait a lot longer than I was hoping t,o and it took me time to prove I could succeed in med school. Thrilled to be starting!

Reactions: 5 users
This thread has given me hope for years; I'm glad I can finally add my own story, and I hope it inspires someone else who is wondering if they can beat the odds.

AMCAS GPA: 3.2 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA
AACOMAS GPA: 3.7 cGPA, 3.75 sGPA
MCAT: 510

I am currently working full time while attending grad school full time. Our finances are steady now, but we will be broke and living on loans once med school starts.

Happily married with a toddler under two.

My story path to medical school started over a decade ago, after I was inspired by volunteering on medical missions abroad as a surgical technologist. I knew then that I found my career path, but had no idea how to come back from a few years of terrible undergrad grades (lots of Fs and Ds, mostly in science classes) when I was just out of high school in the late 1990s. It took me a few years to get up the courage and savings to quit my job and go back to school full time at a local community college, but I was very lucky to find an amazing mentor who helped me find research opportunities and work in the chemistry department so I could support myself. I maintained a 3.85 GPA for four years and 140 credits, but realized as I was getting ready to start applying that even with my stellar record, I might be out of luck with old grades factored in. I also knew nothing about DO schools or grade replacement. Additionally, I was flat broke but ineligible for fee assistance since they require parents' financial information regardless of your age and status.

So I put my dreams on hold and went back to work as a surgical tech in my home state, near my family. In that time, I met my husband, got married, and gave birth to our daughter. While I was on maternity leave, I realized that while I was the happiest I'd ever been, I really wanted to pursue medical school. Part of it was being inspired by my OB and learning so many new things during a complicated pregnancy, and part of it was that I hadn't given up my dream and somehow knew that for me, this might be the last time that it wouldn't seem completely insane to quit my job and go to medical school. Luckily my husband was thrilled with the idea, and immediately supported and encouraged my decision to apply. I studied for the MCAT with less preparation than I would have liked, but did reasonably well.

What I did right: Put off taking the MCAT 6-7 years ago when I realized I might not be able to apply right away, and when I decided to take it in 2015, I took Kaplan. I wouldn't have even known where to start with a different exam that included material I had never seen. Also, I kept in touch with some professors and PIs from undergrad research, so I was able to get strong LORs despite being out of undergrad so long. Also working in my favor was decades of volunteer work in my community, research with presentations and publications, and tons of healthcare experience. At every interview they said, "well, I'm supposed to ask why medicine, but there's no question here..."

What I did wrong: I took a few gambles that paid off, but I wouldn't recommend. For one thing, I would have given myself a lot more time to study for the MCAT; I honestly went into it thinking I could always void or retake, which is NOT advisable. And despite being ready to submit AMCAS and AACOMAS in early June, I decided to go with the committee letter from my alma mater rather than just using Interfolio (which in my experience was not very user-friendly anyway!), and since the committee required more info than AMCAS, that was another step that delayed me significantly. I had my meeting in late July and my letter wasn't available to AMCAS/AACOMAS until late September. However, the way my interview went, I knew the committee letter was going to be extremely strong, and it may have made all the difference. Still, I obviously would have been much better off if my applications were all complete months earlier; I didn't receive "complete" emails until October. Everything worked out, but I was on pins and needles for a while there, knowing I had really rolled the dice.

My advice: if you have a top choice, get in touch with admissions there (if that's an option; I know from experience that some admissions departments have no interest in talking to prospective students). I was offered interviews and accepted to a few schools without going to grad school, but I never would have gotten into my #1 choice if I hadn't spoken with the dean of admissions and found out that the committee would take me seriously if I could show recent grades (my stats were far below their average, both GPA and MCAT). I enrolled in grad school in September, updated them in October with As on all of my midterms, and was offered an interview days later. I was accepted immediately after I finished the semester with a 4.0. So if there is a way to talk to admissions, try to ask questions and get all your information directly from the source.

Now that I finally have an acceptance (to a top-40 MD program no less!) I wanted to share what I did.

cGPA: ~3.2
sGPA: ~3.2
MCAT: 33
gGPA: 4.0

Been working in industry for the past 1.5 years.

Painfully single.

I did what I call a "semi-traditional" terminal masters program at a large public school. It wasn't an SMP, but it did have classes with a medical slant, such as gross anatomy, pathology, cell biology, etc. This also allowed me to tack on another year of research to my resume, a couple of solid letters of rec, and a 4.0 gpa. For those of you considering an SMP, do not completely rule out terminal masters programs! Yes, they might not be the "silver bullet" that solid performance in an SMP might be, but it is also a much less risky venture! Because I went to a school in my home state, I only paid about half (or less, if you consider the high cost of living at Gtown or BU) of what I would have at a true SMP. Furthermore, the degree has opened up at least one other career option for me in case I did not get into med school, whereas an SMP degree is practically worthless in that regard.

What I did right:

I'll list these in order of importance (based on my personal opinion and no real evidence ;)):

- Study hard for the MCAT. Seriously, just spend a summer studying for it. I didn't do amazingly well, actually only slightly better than average at the school I got accepted at, but it was good enough. Just do it.

- People don't talk about this as much as they should, but I can't emphasize this one enough: move to a state that is friendly to its in-state applicants. I was extremely fortunate to snag a paid internship in a state with a medical school that is very friendly to its IS applicants. The state I moved from has one of the worst acceptance rates for its IS applicants, and getting in would have been much harder had I stayed. Many public medical schools will allow you to be considered an in-state applicant after living in that state for just one year. If you can snag a lab tech job, a full-time scribe position, an internship, or anything science/medical related that will pay you enough to pay the bills in such a state, do it! It makes a huge difference.

- Network. Network. Network. Seriously, can't stress this enough. If you're doing research at the school you want to get into, this should be easy. Getting good recommendations is super important; if those recommendations are from people who are familiar to people on the adcom, then that could be a huge leg-up.

- Essays and secondaries. Huge. Frame your experiences around a narrative, and write your personal statement accordingly. It doesn't matter if your narrative is focused on volunteerism, research, or whatever; just be passionate about it, and that in itself will make a huge difference. Get someone you trust to read your essays and give you feedback.

- The interview. This should probably be higher, but I think everything on this list is really necessary for someone with stats like mine. I think most schools do MMI now. It's a falsehood that you can't prepare for an MMI. Here's what I did to succeed on the MMI: 1) Talk to people who have done the MMI. If they did poorly, ask why they did poorly (some schools will give a rejected interviewee feedback on what they could have done better -- some people will share this information with you. Use it.). If they succeeded, ask what they did to succeed. 2) There are many, many example MMI prompts out there. Get together with a friend who has gone through the process and practice the scenarios. It doesn't sound like much, but this is so incredibly helpful; it will ease your anxiety leading up to and on interview day. 3) Be yourself. It's cheesy and cliche, but it's true. Just like you should have done in your personal statement, talk about what you are TRULY passionate about. If you're passionate about research, don't BS about how much you want to help the underserved -- talk about research, and vice versa if you're interested in volunteerism.

That turned out a little longer than I expected it to be, but it feels good to finally be able to write that out! Thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread -- SDN can be a crazy place sometimes, but I would not be where I am today -- with an acceptance in hand -- if it wasn't for the collective amount of information that I gleaned from this forum. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me!

Painfully single.

I actually burst out laughing. Not at your pain, but the phrasing was just so unexpected

kudos to everyone on this thread of not giving up - i'm near the end of my program and have gotten to know my classmates really well - i swear the most grounded folks seem to have had the less-than-stellar numbers.

uGPA:3.17 -- dual major biology/psychology
sGPA:3.28
MCAT: 518 (130/131/128/129) (97%)

I was a produce manager at a very well known national "Health Food" store (you know the one...) prior to the pre-med track. Currently on my third year as an ED scribe and ready to move on! We were comfortable before, broke for the last three years, and will be broke through medical school I'm sure.

I am a married father of two (5 year old daughter and four month old son).

We agreed on doing whatever was necessary before I went back for a second degree. I went full bore into the classes (4/semester) while working 20-30 hours per week. My wife was also working part time and going to school full time. I went to class M-Th mornings, she went to class M-Th nights, I worked F-Sun mornings, and she worked F-Sun nights. For around two years we barely saw each other and many of my memories of her during this time was seeing her sleeping when I woke up. It was hard, but it paid off. She and I both graduated one semester apart and have been loving life since December. My daughter during this time was fine; we deliberately made our schedule like this so she would not have to go to day care and would be with one of us at all times. I ended my last 2.5 years keeping a 3.8 in almost all science courses.

I studied every spare moment I had and I involved my daughter whenever possible (both of us drew O-chem molecules, learned muscles for anatomy, etc). She is crazy about science now and we have a home lab complete with a microscope. She has been gram staining her first slides recently and I couldn't be more proud. :D

My wife was pregnant through last spring (2015) semester when I was working two days a week, taking a full course load, and studying for the MCAT. We made a schedule and stuck to it. That was absolutely key to us doing well. Scheduling time for everything - play time with the kids, studying, work, school, "mommy/daddy time", etc. I highly suggest making a well thought out schedule because there is no inner debate then. You just do what is on the schedule.

One of the hardest parts of this whole thing was my extended family in the beginning. When I mentioned to my parents I was planning on quitting my job to try and go to med school, my dad almost laughed at me. Then I was told I was throwing away a good career for a ridiculous dream. He didn't come around until I showed him my MCAT score - THEN he finally believed me and was supportive.

Your biggest enemy will be yourself. Don't second guess it if you are still following your plan and doing well. Smash through barriers, laugh at the naysayers, and drop kick doubt in the face.

It's up to you now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
I as a definite underdog and was accepted to a US allopathic med school this past year even as a California resident.

uGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.6
MCAT: 35

I worked full time while I completed a post-bacc at night.

Single, no kids

When I first looked into med school I was a total long shot. If I had posted my situation here I would have gotten torn to shreds, especially as a CA resident. I had a 3.2 gpa and no proof that I could handle the sciences or the MCAT. I continued to work full time to finance my life while I took my pre-reqs in the evening. It took me 3 years to get my application/stats together. I crushed my post-bacc by getting a 4.0 in about 30 units and then knocked the mcat out of the park too. This was enough to get a single acceptance off the waitlist at a US school. Loving med school so far, good luck to all you future underdog success stories!

I remember reading this thread the first day I ever logged into SDN in 2011. How time flies.

cGPA: 3.28
sGPA: 3.85
MCAT: 30 (10 BS / 12 VR / 8 PS)

I am an emergency department RN and a county AEMT, both per diem in order to have full control over my work schedule.

Single. No children.

I never finished college the first time around, and had a 2.71 at the time. A pivotal experience post-Katrina brought me into healthcare, but at the time I shelved any dreams of medical school without a second thought. I had never known a physician personally, and seriously never knew that people who weren't 22 years old with perfect GPAs could go to medical school. Got an ADN in nursing. I began meeting doctors, many of whom had non-traditional backgrounds (my main mentor dropped out of high school and was previously a farmer, then a truck driver, before getting his GED and eventually going to medical school at 31). When I realized this was a real possibility, albeit a very risky one, I literally spent nights pacing around, restless at the thought.

I knew I had repair to do. I looked into finishing my old degree -- in another state, by this time -- and was told no. Nor could I retake any classes from a distance. So I decided at 32 that I was going to get an entire new undergrad degree (since I never graduated previously, AMCAS lumped all the hours of my ADN plus my rebooted bachelor's as my "senior year"...that was bizarre-looking on paper).

Where I live, the closest university is an hour drive out-of-state, one way. I've been doing that 4-5 days a week, for full-time classes for four years, and am looking at graduating this semester with a 3.9. Quite exhausting while still working, but worth it. I've found mentors here who've introduced me to research, taken me to conferences, and helped me make the mental shift back into "school mode" after being away.

What I did right: Pre-healthcare I had an interesting stretch of life, which came up in almost every interview. I've worked in the professional arts (I'm still google-able from old productions), worked in several foreign countries, and had extensive volunteer service because it was something I had always enjoyed. I think the way I described my experiences in my ECs had a big impact, as multiple interviewers asked me about certain connections I'd drawn between then and now in those mini-essays. Having experience in healthcare I was also able to speak fluently about the dynamics I've observed in our teams, how I felt my role was going to change, and how I felt that having seen different parts along the timeline of a patient's continuity of care would impact my mindset as a physician.

What I did wrong: Did a bit of a sprint to take the very last old MCAT in Jan 2015. I hadn't taken Physics II at that time and that was definitely a mistake; the PS section kicked my tail. I'm think I could have scored higher on the MCAT had I been fully prepared. Also didn't start my personal statement until May (meant to start in March but procrastinated, my own fault), and when I showed my first draft to my reader I was told to toss it and start over. Eventually did nine drafts in one month and got it done just under the wire. That was really stressful. Don't be me.

My advice (in no particular order):
1.) Apply early. Can't be overstated. Apply early.
2.) Seconding @njtrimed about getting in contact with schools early, particularly your state schools and your favorites. I was in contact with one of my in-state school asst deans six months before applications, and when I came to interview she remembered me by name (I was admitted there). On the flipside, I saved some money by not wasting it on schools where I was told straight up that I had no shot.
3.) Work hard. That probably goes without saying but this is a fight to prove yourself. Go big or go home. One B won't kill you but don't let yourself get complacent.
4.) Target your schools carefully. Read their secondaries ahead of time and look for schools that give you an opportunity to talk about areas where you shine.
5.) Plan for the financial burden early. I started a savings account specifically for this back in 2012 after I read a thread on how much people were spending on apps, travel, suits, etc, and when the cycle rolled up I was very glad I'd stashed all those funds.
6.) Don't beat yourself up over failures. This is tough, and even fighting tooth and nail not everyone is going to succeed at the exact time they want to. Sometimes continuing on and walking away are equally legitimate paths.
7.) On the above note, find support. This is a rough road and things will constantly happen that feel like they're going to derail everything...it's hard. Have someone you trust with talking about this who can talk you off the ledge when the **** hits the fan (which it will more than once, I guarantee). Some of those people may be on SDN; there are experienced folks on here I told my story to back in 2011 who I still talk to now. Don't be afraid to reach out to your fellow applicants and to people who've been through this. We're all here to give or get help.

Last edited:
Hi @Eccesignum , I've got to say your story has been really inspiring and congrats :) ! Would you mind sharing any tips for contacting schools? How did you approach the topic? As in, did you introduce yourself and explain your situation then ask what you could do to strengthen your application? Or just ask them straight up if they would even consider you?

Hi @Eccesignum , I've got to say your story has been really inspiring and congrats :) ! Would you mind sharing any tips for contacting schools? How did you approach the topic? As in, did you introduce yourself and explain your situation then ask what you could do to strengthen your application? Or just ask them straight up if they would even consider you?

In that specific case, I had met the asst dean at the oldpremeds.org conference in D.C. and approached her after a talk she gave. She invited me to bring my transcripts and my resume to campus so we could talk, and gave me some pointers to increase my chances. I know from several other people she's done this after a cold email too (this is Dr. Whitehurst-Cook at VCU, for reference). I also cold-emailed a few admissions departments (or specific contact if I could find one on websites), and contacted people I'd met at pre-cycle open houses. Definitely suggest attending open houses, btw. I found often they set aside a period where curious applicants could meet with an admission counselor right then and there.

Usually when it was a cold call, I introduced myself and asked if there was someone I could talk to about assessing my current competitiveness for their program, and went from there. Some were receptive, some weren't. I suggest having both scanned and printed copies of your transcripts, resume, and anything else useful ready to go in case they ask for them.

Last edited:
In that specific case, I had met the asst dean at the oldpremeds.org conference in D.C. and approached her after a talk she gave. She invited me to bring my transcripts and my resume to campus so we could talk, and gave me some pointers to increase my chances. I know from several other people she's done this after a cold email too (this is Dr. Whitehurst-Cook at VCU, for reference). I also cold-emailed a few admissions departments (or specific contact if I could find one on websites), and contacted people I'd met at pre-cycle open houses. Definitely suggest attending open houses, btw. I found often they set aside a period where curious applicants could meet with an admission counselor right then and there.

Usually when it was a cold call, I introduced myself and asked if there was someone I could talk to about assessing my current competitiveness for their program, and went from there. Some were receptive, some weren't. I suggest having both scanned and printed copies of your transcripts, resume, and anything else useful ready to go in case they ask for them.

I see, makes sense. It seems intimidating broaching the subject but it's gotta happen eventually, either by contacting them first or them seeing it through AMCAS/AACOMAS. Thanks very much for the advice! I'll definitely keep those tips in mind and congrats again :)

uGPA: 3.18
sGPA: 3.02
MCAT: 33

I worked part time while I completed a post-bacc and then took additional higher level science classes while working full-time doing research at a major academic institution.

I have a lovely and supportive partner who was in medical school at the time and has since graduated and begun residency. I absolutely would not have been able to get to where I am today without his help.

I knew that my GPA was really keeping me back so I took extra classes (Biochem, Anatomy, Physiology) one at a time to boost my GPA. Not taking three classes at once was really helpful because it gave me the time I needed to refine my studying techniques while becoming familiar with material that I would see again as a first year. I also took an MCAT prep class because I knew I needed a higher than average score and really struggle with standardized tests. During this time I was also working fairly regularly as a researcher and was able to get a few publications/posters in which I think really helped me look like a more serious candidate.

Edit: I should also mention that at the beginning of my journey I was very discouraged. The prospect of having to do grade repair is daunting and I didn't really consider the options of DO or PA school. Ultimately the most important thing was finding supportive voices that helped me persevere. I also applied broadly to allopathic schools across the US and got way more interview invitations than I had ever expected. In the end, all I wanted was to get into one medical school and I exceeded those expectations (which actually ended up being kind of stressful because then I had to choose where I wanted to go and that was a whole big thing). All this is to say that SDN/the internet can be a black hole of despair and it's very easy to get sucked in and listen to naysayers who give advice coming from ZERO experience. While I think it's critically important to be realistic, I also think it's vital to never underestimate yourself or your chances. Good luck and keep working! You'll be surprised at what you can achieve.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
This thread is giving me hope.

I screwed around for the first half of my undergrad... My undergrad GPA was around 3.01... My sGPA will be about the same if not worse. After I grew up and started taking school serioulsy, I've maintained a 3.4 GPA in my Master's program for Family Nurse Practitioner. I'm glad to see these scores don't necessarily mean the end of the road for me.

From discouraged to encouraged in a couple minutes after reading this thread.. My journey begins...

Reactions: 3 users
Yay, I finally get to post here! I remember reading through this and posting my plan 5 years ago, and now I finally get to be in the Success thread.

31 y.o., MCAT 32 (8PS/11VR/13BS) from 2014
GPA... applied with a cumulative 3.15, 3.49 BCPM ugGPA.
That was a 2.63 cGPA from my first bacc, mixed with a 3.93 cGPA from my second bacc.
Also had a 4.0 masters GPA, from the first year of my MS.

Stressful, but currently stable.
I have a teaching assistantship with my masters that covers the tuition and pays a small stipend, as well as a PT work-study job that helps cover the bills. However, I still took out the full loan to cover application fees and incidentals. So between that, the remnants of my loans for the first degree, and the loans for the second bacc, I'm sitting on 100K in loan debt before starting med school. Which will be very painful to deal with at some point in the future.

Hubby teaches English, so that also brings in some, but he hasn't been able to get a stable long-term job at any point while I've been going through this pre-med process. More opportunities for him when we relocate for med school will be a big consideration.

Married, still no kids, probably won't have any, but may adopt down the road.
My parents are healthy and stable, no issues. Mother-in-law passed last year, father-in-law seems okay health-wise and is financially secure, so no immediate worries on the family front.

I signed up for a 2nd bacc to do the pre-reqs and work on the GPA, without intending to complete it. Rocked all the classes, got into research, did solidly on the MCAT. Then as I was applying in 2014, I got my head turned by talk from professors about doing a PhD and the lure of funded slots, ended up applying mainly MD-PhD. Which was a fairly stupid thing to do. Because while I would be interested in doing that, and probably good at it, I am definitely not the person that they are interested in accepting.
So, then, I had already made the decision to finish out the 2nd bacc during my app cycle, which was a solid choice. It gave me something to do, kept improving my cGPA, kept me in the department, and kept the loans payments from coming due. As I was about to graduate with that 2nd degree and with no other immediate prospects in hand, I was able to talk to folks in my department and get an easy shoo-in to the masters program and the teaching assistant position. Finished the first year of my masters with a 4.0 and then applied for the second time. Also added in some more volunteering and a few other odds and ends. Rewrote everything for the application.
This application round I went straight MD/DO, have one DO acceptance in hand as of today, an MD interview scheduled in a month, and 23 schools still to hear from. So it's all looking up from here.

For those of you who will read this looking for guidance or hope, it can be done. But it isn't easy. The last 4.5 years since I started the process have been up and down, with many points where it was just a long hard slog. It isn't cheap and it isn't quick. But it is possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I am 26
Undergraduate GPA is 3.5/3.4 ish AFTER almost 8 years of being an undergrad
MCAT 507

I started college like anyone else, but thought I could do well not studying like I did in high school. That didn't work out and by the end of my second year of community college I had a 2.9 sGPA and C's for my bio/chem and lab pre-reqs :hungover:. That same year I became pregnant with my first child, at the age of 19. It took me a LONG time to graduate and recover from my awful GPA, but after transferring to my University and getting mostly A's for the rest of my (MANY) undergraduate years, I pulled up my GPA without retaking any classes (couldn't afford/spend the extra time) and managed to graduate Summa Cum Laude from my University as a mommy of two! My husband has been so helpful and has encouraged me to pursue my dreams even before we had our kids. Financially it was a struggle because I come from a non well off family to begin with and having two kiddos makes it that much more difficult, but luckily I had a scholarship and grants. MCAT studying with 2 kids was just awful because I took organic chemistry 7 years before I took the MCAT and had to re-learn the entire damn test, but I guess that just comes with the territory. I just got my first acceptance to med school last week so this process has been so long and crazy but at the end it was worth it! I remember reading these posts wondering if I could be a mom and a Dr. at the same time. Anything is possible if you put in the work.

I am 26
Undergraduate GPA is 3.5/3.4 ish AFTER almost 8 years of being an undergrad
MCAT 507

I started college like anyone else, but thought I could do well not studying like I did in high school. That didn't work out and by the end of my second year of community college I had a 2.9 sGPA and C's for my bio/chem and lab pre-reqs :hungover:. That same year I became pregnant with my first child, at the age of 19. It took me a LONG time to graduate and recover from my awful GPA, but after transferring to my University and getting mostly A's for the rest of my (MANY) undergraduate years, I pulled up my GPA without retaking any classes (couldn't afford/spend the extra time) and managed to graduate Summa Cum Laude from my University as a mommy of two! My husband has been so helpful and has encouraged me to pursue my dreams even before we had our kids. Financially it was a struggle because I come from a non well off family to begin with and having two kiddos makes it that much more difficult, but luckily I had a scholarship and grants. MCAT studying with 2 kids was just awful because I took organic chemistry 7 years before I took the MCAT and had to re-learn the entire damn test, but I guess that just comes with the territory. I just got my first acceptance to med school last week so this process has been so long and crazy but at the end it was worth it! I remember reading these posts wondering if I could be a mom and a Dr. at the same time. Anything is possible if you put in the work.

Congrats!!! :> :>

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

35 years old. UG GPA=2.56, Graduate GPA: 3.75, MCAT: 29

Currently a full time medical student, so I am not only unemployed but poor as hell. But while I was in graduate school, I worked full time and took classes at night. I was a senior Research Technician/Lab Manager for a Cancer hospital in NYC.

We bought our house in Northern NJ before the Real Estate Boom and sold it before the bust so we made out nicely. Although the money is quickly running out. My wife works from home as a Proofreader which does not pay a whole heck of a lot.

Married, 3 kids (8. 6. 3). Wife works from home as a proofreader and not making much. As a medical student with children, I learned to really make a budget and when the budget cannot support things like health insurance, you turn to assistance. Since Medicaid is based on salary, we qualified so my wife and kids got it saving us around $11,000/year. In addition, we applied for assistance with our heat and they knocked off 1/2 of our electric bill.

It may seem as though you do not deserve it, but you do. You paid into the system while working, why not take advantage and use it for what its real intention was made for. As soon as I start residency and I get full benefits we stop the assistance.

Well, I say this a lot. This is a marathon and not a sprint. When you get there you get there. Take it one step at a time. I decided that I wanted to apply to medical school in the winter of 2002 and applied 5 years later. It is very hard, at times you wonder if it is worth it and if you are able to even do it. Ask yourself this, will you be happier?

This sounds like me! I am 35, with a terrible undergrad GPA of 2.5 which haunts me! and about to start pre-med courses, and hopefully a post bacc soon. Thank you for the inspiration and hopefully I will one day be posting as a low GPA success story!

I made a new account since my numbers are super identifiable.

I've been waiting to post on this site for a long, long time. I hope it inspires someone who is feeling that medical school is out of reach.

Age 30s
Final cGPA 2.1 (amcas)
Final sGPA 2.7 (amcas)
Dropped out and took a ten year break
Last 40 hours = 3.8 (included in aforementioned GPAs)
MCAT = 28
Worked full time in public service in leadership position

What I did right:
I grew up and busted my butt getting the best grades I could despite work conflicts (only sub A grades were when work made me miss labs).
Also, I ignored advisors and SDN members who told me I would never be a doctor and to pick a different dream.

What I did wrong:
Didn't quit work and go to school full time. Also didn't allot enough time to study for the MCAT with 50+ hours of work a week and 3 science classes that semester, so it wasn't where it could have been.

Results:
Accepted at every school that didn't auto screen me for GPA.

Moral:
NEVER. NEVER give up on your dreams.

Thank you! I love your story! How do you know which schools auto-screen for GPA? Do they put this one their websites?