Low GPA Pre-pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_struggles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So I was wondering what are my chances of getting into pharmacy school. I used to go to University of Pacific's pre-pharmacy program and was a 3+3 pre-pharmacy student. However, I ended up by my second year with a 2.5 GPA and not accepted into their pharmacy school. I left University of the Pacific because I felt that I needed a fresh start. Since I left I retook General Biology and got A's in both parts (first time I took it I got C-s), Organic Chemistry part 1 and got a B (before C-), Microbiology (before a D) and now an A. I have raised my GPA up to a 2.85. I have gotten straight A's except the one B in Ochem since moving back home last year. I work as a Veterinary Technician for the past year and volunteer in a pharmacy. Also I have done my own research projects...one on glucose levels on animals and another one on behavior of Beta fish. Also organized a heart health philanthropy event for my sorority. I'm currently about to finish online pharmacy technician program too.
I'm taking the PCAT in October. Also taking Organic Chemistry 2, Physics 2, Sociology Physiology this semester.

Also the reason I got low grades was that I was trying to do everything like I did in high school and trying to maintain a social life. I studied a lot but ran on no sleep (Regret). I wasn't a big partier but I did party once in awhile. It was more I spread myself too thin. Also failed my anatomy final because my "fantastic ex boyfriend" broke up with me right before my anatomy final that was 65% of my final grade when i was retaking the class.

Grades:(Retakes I have done)
General Bio 1-C-, A
General Bio 2-C-, A
Microbiology-D, A
Anatomy- C-,C-, A
Organic Chemistry 1-C-, A

Also I am now at a Community College, since I wasn't able to transfer out of University of Pacific due to not meeting transfer requirements at other schools because I was in such a specific program.

Members don't see this ad.

First of, I would just like to comment that our names are way too similar :).

Anyways, my situation is similar to yours. I graduated with around a 2.9 and opted to retake a few courses to boost my science pre-req gpa. I retook 3 classes at a CC and microbiology for the first time over the summer and did really well on my PCAT and will most likely be submitting my application in 3-4 days.

With that being said, I think it really depends on how well you do on your PCAT. If you are getting A's at a CC, but scoring 90+ on your PCAT, pharm schools won't say anything. But if you're getting a 4.0 at a CC and scoring 50s, then they will question your grades. Since California schools don't require PCAT, you may have to consider going out of state (not sure how much effect PCAT has on Cali schools).

----Read if applying this cycle---

I would say definitely apply, but apply smart. Make sure you know what each school's requirements are least make sure your GPA meets their minimum. Perhaps applying to a lot of schools would be to your advantage. For now, your focus should be to do phenomenal on your PCAT. I was pretty depressed/hopeless, but felt a lot more confident after getting my score.

Your PS is extremely important too. I am having multiple people (all of whom I know are eloquent writers) look over my personal statement for mistakes to make sure that it is as close to perfect as possible. How you write your PS is up to you, but make sure you spend a significant amount of effort on it. For us low GPA applicants, it can make or break us.

LORs are also critical. At this point, I hope you have already figured out who you're getting your LORs from. If not, get on that ASAP. Find people who would be willing to write you a good LOR.

At this point, your PCAT and PS are things you can immediately make an impact on. LORs are things that can also determine your fact depending on who you ask. Anyways, best of luck!

P.S. I sympathize with you. My gf just broke up with me a few days ago and I am trying my best to tough it out the next couple of weeks to finish my application. These things often happen at the most inopportune times, but we have to push through.

Reactions: 2 users
All this reminds me a saying, No money, no honey ;)

First of, I would just like to comment that our names are way too similar :).

Anyways, my situation is similar to yours. I graduated with around a 2.9 and opted to retake a few courses to boost my science pre-req gpa. I retook 3 classes at a CC and microbiology for the first time over the summer and did really well on my PCAT and will most likely be submitting my application in 3-4 days.

With that being said, I think it really depends on how well you do on your PCAT. If you are getting A's at a CC, but scoring 90+ on your PCAT, pharm schools won't say anything. But if you're getting a 4.0 at a CC and scoring 50s, then they will question your grades. Since California schools don't require PCAT, you may have to consider going out of state (not sure how much effect PCAT has on Cali schools).

----Read if applying this cycle---

I would say definitely apply, but apply smart. Make sure you know what each school's requirements are least make sure your GPA meets their minimum. Perhaps applying to a lot of schools would be to your advantage. For now, your focus should be to do phenomenal on your PCAT. I was pretty depressed/hopeless, but felt a lot more confident after getting my score.

Your PS is extremely important too. I am having multiple people (all of whom I know are eloquent writers) look over my personal statement for mistakes to make sure that it is as close to perfect as possible. How you write your PS is up to you, but make sure you spend a significant amount of effort on it. For us low GPA applicants, it can make or break us.

LORs are also critical. At this point, I hope you have already figured out who you're getting your LORs from. If not, get on that ASAP. Find people who would be willing to write you a good LOR.

At this point, your PCAT and PS are things you can immediately make an impact on. LORs are things that can also determine your fact depending on who you ask. Anyways, best of luck!

P.S. I sympathize with you. My gf just broke up with me a few days ago and I am trying my best to tough it out the next couple of weeks to finish my application. These things often happen at the most inopportune times, but we have to push through.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get in anywhere? Im in a similar situation with a 2.6

You need to write a very good essay defending your grades no matter your PCAT score. All they will see is that you were failing out of UOP and decided to go to CC and take easier classes instead.

If you get your pharmcas GPA to 3.0+ and score 80+ on PCAT your chances are good.