Low GPA + somewhat Above Average DAT ...chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MintJulep2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cumulative 3.15 GPA, and 21 on DAT.... what are my chances of getting interviews?

I have 4 years of research experience and publications, have 100+ dental shadow hours, and am going to Southeast Asia in a couple of weeks for a dental outreach trip. Additionally, I plan on re-taking a Physics class that I got a C- in this summer (perhaps say that it is a class in progress when I turn in my app in June). Ahhhh basically I don't know if I should even try applying this cycle, retake my DAT, or apply to a masters or post-bacc program...

Thanks in advance my fellow SDN users!

Members don't see this ad.

Your research and other EC's somewhat make up for your low GPA. I'd say if you apply broadly you might have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd probably say post-bac, maybe SF State's program might be a good fit.

I had similar scores to you (3.1 gpa, 20 DAT). I had no luck.
Like previously said, do the masters. I did, highly recommend to people who can't get in but are decent candidates.

I had similar scores to you (3.1 gpa, 20 DAT). I had no luck.
Like previously said, do the masters. I did, highly recommend to people who can't get in but are decent candidates.

What did you end up getting your masters in?

Cumulative 3.15 GPA, and 21 on DAT.... what are my chances of getting interviews?

I have 4 years of research experience and publications, have 100+ dental shadow hours, and am going to Southeast Asia in a couple of weeks for a dental outreach trip. Additionally, I plan on re-taking a Physics class that I got a C- in this summer (perhaps say that it is a class in progress when I turn in my app in June). Ahhhh basically I don't know if I should even try applying this cycle, retake my DAT, or apply to a masters or post-bacc program...

Thanks in advance my fellow SDN users!

If you apply early and broadly you can have a good chance. I have almost identical stats, 3.2 Ogpa and a 21 AA DAT and I got 4 interviews and an acceptance. If you have good LORs, PS. and your research and shadowing you have a lot of good things that make the gpa not weigh as heavily on you. Apply the first day or two of the application cycle with everything ready so you are first batch.

If you apply early and broadly you can have a good chance. I have almost identical stats, 3.2 Ogpa and a 21 AA DAT and I got 4 interviews and an acceptance. If you have good LORs, PS. and your research and shadowing you have a lot of good things that make the gpa not weigh as heavily on you. Apply the first day or two of the application cycle with everything ready so you are first batch.
Ah that is such a relief to hear! Not saying that I now think I will 100% get in without putting in hard work etc., but thanks! Just out of curiosity, what schools offered you interviews and what school did you eventually choose?