Low gpa, taking MCAT May 6th

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dfaz173

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Typical what are my chances post here. I graduated from a large state university in December of 2015 (graduated in 3.5 years) My Gpa is currently sitting at a very unimpressive 3.0 and 2.75 sgpa. I am starting a post-bacc at CUSOM next year and provided that I maintain a 3.0 in the program will be granted an automatic interview.

My MCAT is on May 6th and my practice tests have been rounding out to about a 506. The post-bacc program includes a free Kaplan MCAT course so if I happen to bomb it, I will re-take it sometime next semester.

I was a front desk clinic intern at a free clinic for a semester (~100 hrs) , I volunteered weekley at a woman's shelter for a semester (~48 hrs), I currently work as a receptionist whom I shadow regularly (he is writing me an LOR) ,shadowed a cardiologist weekly for 6 weeks (also getting an LOR) and shadowed a vascular surgeon for 8 hrs. Additionally, I worked full time for my county's environmental health department one summer and part time at Moe's for two summers. I also have an EMR (Emergency medical responder) certification from the NSC.

Do you think I should still do re-takes alongside my post-bacc or will that be unnecessary. Also, with my low scores, does anyone have any school suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I dont think you should do a masters program. Instead look into postbac program at uncg or peace college, very easy to do well in these schools. I am looking into the MSBS at CUSOOM since I did biochem and sitting at 3.2 gpa however I am kind of debating with myself between retaking classes in HBC schools or an easy school since thats much safer and cheaper option. ps. CUSOOM is 40,000 for 2 years are you sure about your decision?