Low GPA thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousStar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I havent been on here in a while...does anyone know what happened to the low gpa thread?

Members don't see this ad.

It didn't get into med school?:D

Ah yes...exemplary in form of why sdn and the nontrad forum perfects the predestined gabble of it's elite for their own pretense while undercutting the hopes of the less certain at our expense. In consistent monotonous brute force.

This forum is useless. Unless getting in is a forgone conclusion and you want advice on how to reshuffle your portfolio for liquidity.

Low gpa. No cash. Uncertainty. Get up out of this mf'er before these people infect your psyche with their **** talking.

The low gpa thread is on the post-bac forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
It didn't get into med school?:D

Yes, it is stated tongue-in-cheek. Yes, it is not intended to be mean-spirited. Yes, it is almost a "snap" that begs and pushes its way into existence. And yet... it is a bit insensitive. This particular thick-skinned, beaten-down-and-risen-again underdog is not bothered by a slight sensitivity blunder like this, but still finds it unpleasant like a piece of chewed gum on the sole of a shoe.

I lurk more than I post and even my lurking is sporadic, which makes the longitudinal study of contrasts quite interesting. It appears that medical types are not that much nobler in spirit than the rest of the populace. The further away one moves from the edges of the precipice of educational and career uncertainty, the less empathy one seems to be able to extend to those who are not as far advanced on the path. When we start eating cake we quickly forget what it was like to not have bread.

This thread contains the highest ratio of writing to thinking I have ever seen

I thought it was funny, BTW

I see someone's been staying out of the pre-allo forum. :smuggrin:

C'mon guys, it was a clever response! Dont take things seriously, learn to laugh at yourselves a little more. Laughing in situations thare not deemed the most advantageous is actually good for you. It lightens up the load!

Laugh a little guys! :)

Ah yes...exemplary in form of why sdn and the nontrad forum perfects the predestined gabble of it's elite for their own pretense while undercutting the hopes of the less certain at our expense. In consistent monotonous brute force.

This forum is useless. Unless getting in is a forgone conclusion and you want advice on how to reshuffle your portfolio for liquidity.

Low gpa. No cash. Uncertainty. Get up out of this mf'er before these people infect your psyche with their **** talking.

The low gpa thread is on the post-bac forum.

LOL! You're funny! I agree with you. The whole point of the non-trad. forum, or any forum for that matter is to help one another out. Obviously if you're a pre-med, you know the expectations and your deficiencies. We're here to overcome them, not be bogged down by them.

LOL! You're funny! I agree with you. The whole point of the non-trad. forum, or any forum for that matter is to help one another out. Obviously if you're a pre-med, you know the expectations and your deficiencies. We're here to overcome them, not be bogged down by them.

Again, my post above was a joke. Without a healthy sense of humor you should not go down the medicine route (read House of God for some insight as to why this is so).

But comedy aside, I disagree with some of the implications of this above post. Sometimes a healthy dose of reality is the best help one can provide. It's nice to believe that all deficiencies can be overcome, but the reality is that some can, some cannot. The folks who constantly play cheerleader often are the most harmful people on here, because they may cause folks to spin their wheels eternally and pass up other opportunities to have a good and happy life. Telling someone to follow a dream they cannot possibly attain would not be help. Having someone sit you down and set you straight is good once in a while is a very positive thing. (Again, that's not what I was dong in my above post, but I think there is room for this kind of cynicism on SDN, and it plays at least as important a role on here than the cheerleading).

I think most folks on here can dig out of most holes if they are willing to put in the time. But there are starting points that could mean many many years of grade rehabilitation. There are also the folks who have exhausted MCAT retakes, have been expelled, have huge blemishes in their backgrounds where it is less likely they will ever secure US admission. Advice has to be realistic and targeted to specific backgrounds. If eg someone doesn't have a prayer of getting into a US allo school, they should know that going in -- you are not doing them a favor letting them get blindsided.

I also thought it was funny, but more importantly I'd like to second your follow up here. I don't really take part in these forums but I have seen a dangerous amount of cheerleading in all of them. People that clearly had no prayer of getting into med school, people I'd be terrified to have care for my family if I ever knew their history, were constantly soothed and reassured that they should keep in the hunt and as stated, "follow the dream." Someone really does need to tell certain people that it's not very likely and maybe you shouldn't spend thousands upon thousands of dollars and years of your time in specific undergrad courses. Your lifetime is a finite period, don't be a party to helping someone waste it if it's not in the cards.

Again, my post above was a joke. Without a healthy sense of humor you should not go down the medicine route (read House of God for some insight as to why this is so).

But comedy aside, I disagree with some of the implications of this above post. Sometimes a healthy dose of reality is the best help one can provide. It's nice to believe that all deficiencies can be overcome, but the reality is that some can, some cannot. The folks who constantly play cheerleader often are the most harmful people on here, because they may cause folks to spin their wheels eternally and pass up other opportunities to have a good and happy life. Telling someone to follow a dream they cannot possibly attain would not be help. Having someone sit you down and set you straight is good once in a while is a very positive thing. (Again, that's not what I was dong in my above post, but I think there is room for this kind of cynicism on SDN, and it plays at least as important a role on here than the cheerleading).

I think most folks on here can dig out of most holes if they are willing to put in the time. But there are starting points that could mean many many years of grade rehabilitation. There are also the folks who have exhausted MCAT retakes, have been expelled, have huge blemishes in their backgrounds where it is less likely they will ever secure US admission. Advice has to be realistic and targeted to specific backgrounds. If eg someone doesn't have a prayer of getting into a US allo school, they should know that going in -- you are not doing them a favor letting them get blindsided.

I think Tutmos is right but I think cheer leading is constructive. Medical School Admissions are a rough period for students and they need their questions answered and need some encouragement. (Psychology students, a little help? ;))

As far as low GPAs, if you have a low GPA, you may consider retaking classes that you performed poorly in. Being an MD isn't for everyone and maybe for some a low GPA can be a period of reassessment.

I don't believe test performance always is an indicator of a good practitioner of any field of medicine. However, the idea that GPAs are high in medical school makes me sleep easier.

Full of contradictions, I know. :D