Low GPA, want to do SMP, advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time posting on SDN so thank you in advance for your help!

Going to give a backstory so you guys get the full picture of my situation. I graduated from UT Austin about two years ago with a pre-med non-science degree and cGPA of 3.05 and sGPA of 2.57. I also took the MCAT about three and a half years ago and got a 26. I was pretty confused with what I wanted to do in college so I didn't try very hard and just went through the motions of passing my classes although I accept full responsibility. For what it's worth, I did shadow for about two months, did some basic research for a semester and served as a preceptor for my Genetics class for one semester. I was working in tech for the past year and a half and realized I truly do want to do medicine, so I moved back home to start preparing.

I still need to take one more undergrad prereq as a postbac class which would bring my sGPA up to 2.66 with an A. I will also be studying full time for the MCAT over the next couple months and am shooting for 512-518. I’ve been doing a lot of research the past few weeks and think my only shot at medical school at this stage is going the route of a "true" SMP where I'd be taking classes alongside medical students, so I see Georgetown, Cincinnati, Tufts and BU as my main options.

The way I see it I have three possible scenarios if all goes well:

(1)
March 2017: MCAT
April 2017 - July 2018: postbac classes and ECs
Summer 2018: apply to med school
August 2018 - July 2019: SMP
August 2019: med school

(2)
April 2017 - July 2017 - ECs
August 2017 - July 2018: SMP
Summer 2018: apply to med school
August 2018 - July 2019: postbac classes and ECs
August 2019: med school

(3)
April 2017 - August 2018: postbac classes and ECs
August 2018 - July 2019 - SMP
Summer 2019: apply to med school
August 2019 - July 2020 - ECs
August 2020 - med school

Questions:

1. I know my current sGPA is very low especially for these higher ranked SMPs. If I take at least six more postbac classes besides the one I already have to, I could probably bump up my sGPA just above 3.0 and get my cGPA to 3.17. Does it make sense to spend time and money on taking these additional classes or would that be better served by focusing on ECs? Is 3.0 a good cutoff to get to or something higher or lower?

2. Is scenario 1 possible for me? In this case I would be applying to med school before having started the SMP although I'd be keeping the adcom up to date as I go through the program, obviously. Is this possible if I’ve bumped up my sGPA above 3.0 and had good ECs? I'd like to go to a Texas MD school if at all possible.

3. Is scenario 2 possible for me? In this case I would be applying to the SMP with my current GPAs. Is this possible if I’ve scored well enough on the MCAT? In addition, because I obviously didn't do that well in my BCPM classes in undergrad I don't know which professors I could ask for LoRs for the SMP.

4. I have one C- in a prereq and I know most SMPs and med schools require Cs as a minimum grade - I'm assuming this class would need to be retaken?

5. Please let me know if I’m missing any true SMP.

6. Will my previous MCAT score hurt me in any way even though it's expired?

7. What are some good suggestions for ECs? I was thinking either becoming a scribe or EMT and doing research as well.

8. Scenario 3 is probably my best bet although if there is any way to matriculate in med school before 2020 I’d prefer that obviously. Any advice on this?

I know my stats are pretty poor at the moment, but I'm more than willing to put in the time and effort to succeed in all this so any constructive help would be greatly appreciated! I'm committed. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.0 is what we typically advise to aim for.

1. I know my current sGPA is very low especially for these higher ranked SMPs. If I take at least six more postbac classes besides the one I already have to, I could probably bump up my sGPA just above 3.0 and get my cGPA to 3.17. Does it make sense to spend time and money on taking these additional classes or would that be better served by focusing on ECs? Is 3.0 a good cutoff to get to or something higher or lower?

#1 is a poor idea. You need to show med schools that you have excelled in your SMP or post-bac. One semester won't cut it.
2. Is scenario 1 possible for me? In this case I would be applying to med school before having started the SMP although I'd be keeping the adcom up to date as I go through the program, obviously. Is this possible if I’ve bumped up my sGPA above 3.0 and had good ECs? I'd like to go to a Texas MD school if at all possible.

Yes
3. Is scenario 2 possible for me? In this case I would be applying to the SMP with my current GPAs. Is this possible if I’ve scored well enough on the MCAT? In addition, because I obviously didn't do that well in my BCPM classes in undergrad I don't know which professors I could ask for LoRs for the SMP.

Depends upon the program. You'll need to ask the Admissions dean
4. I have one C- in a prereq and I know most SMPs and med schools require Cs as a minimum grade - I'm assuming this class would need to be retaken?

These programs are a dime-a-dozen. Drexel has two. My school, U Miami, Western, the Touros, Rosy F come to mind.
5. Please let me know if I’m missing any true SMP.

Somewhat. A 506 is ~29 on the old scale. It's close to median for acceptees for MD schools, but MD schools want reinventors to ace COMLEX (> 33 on old exam or ~514). TX schools might be a bit more lenient, but they do like high MCATs.
6. Will my previous MCAT score hurt me in any way even though it's expired?

I and many of my Adcom colleagues feel that EMT is a glorified cab driver.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.
7. What are some good suggestions for ECs? I was thinking either becoming a scribe or EMT and doing research as well.

I agree. It's a marathon now, not a sprint.
8. Scenario 3 is probably my best bet although if there is any way to matriculate in med school before 2020 I’d prefer that obviously. Any advice on this?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Goro, thank you for your quick and thorough response. Wanted to follow up with you on a few questions if you have time.

3. I haven't kept in touch with any of my undergrad professors and even then my only As are in labs. From whom could I get LoRs from if I applied to an SMP before taking postbac classes? I could get at least one if not two from my previous job but those are not in the science/medical field. I could also get one from an organization I've been a volunteer for for the past six years but again it's not medically related. Would these suffice?

5. I believe Drexel's SMP does have you taking classes alongside medical students, but I'm not too sure about the others. Can you confirm?

6. I thought USMLE was the requirement for MD schools?

7. Thank you for the list of volunteer opportunities - that was quite helpful. Do you recommend any paying jobs I could do simultaneously that look good to adcoms? Would love to be able to earn some money to pay for all these classes.

Thanks again!