Low GPA...What are my chances? What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted737034

Hi every body,
I'm currently a 2nd year student at Rutger's University and aspiring to be a Radiologist. I was wondering if any med students or anybody in general went through my situation. My GPA is currently really bad (2.7) and I know it's going to drop more for this semester because I'm pretty sure I got an F in Orgo and the fact that I wasn't able to get any As in my other classes (got B+/B) cause I spent so much time with Orgo. Is there still a chance for me to get into med school? At this point in my life I'm really debating if I should just change my major or not, but every one I've talk to tried to convince me to not give up. Also, I always feel like not matter how hard I try, I always never do as well as i expect.I don't drink or go out that much and all I ever do is study my butt off to just be completely let down in the end. However I do work, but it really doesn't affect my studying time cause I only work 1-2 a week for only 4 hours. I just resigned myself up for Orgo I again, but has anybody been in my situation? What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am a recent grad from one of the UC's. When I reflect on myself during my sophomore when I took my organic chemistry classes, I studied a lot but I also tried to take some time to relax. I know that you think you should study 24/7 to ace the exam, but the reality is, the ones that take some time to rest and invest time in their personal life endure the course load better. Why don't you take a step back from thinking about school, and take some time to rest your body and mind?

Yeah I got a D in Organic 1. The only D I got in my upper level science classes. I took it again the next semester, and got an F. I also joined the class 3 weeks late, and was totally somewhere else during that semester (not focused). Nonetheless, no excuse, I should've done better. I'll be re-taking it as a post bacc. Since you're only in your 2nd year, you're going to have to take re-take it in order to graduate assuming you're doing a science major.

At this point you need to think about extending your undergraduate stay. It sounds like studying is the issue for you. I think you should go to some seminar/tutoring workshops that goes over how to study. Don't take them from granted. Even the smallest, most obvious points make a difference. I would honestly go up to your organic professor and ask him/her how to study for this subject. Then bring all your old tests, and go over them with him/her. Especially, if you're retaking the class with that professor then this would be really helpful, and probably get you on their good side. If you feel like you dedicated that much time with Orgo, and still got an F then you're not understanding the material. Go to orgo tutoring session, become friends with people who did really well in the class (ask them for their notes/help), and go to the professors office everyday with at least two questions about the material you went over that day to re-confirm/just show them your notes. It might seem pointless, but it will make a difference. You don't want to just pass Organic, you want to at least get a C or higher, because remember some of that information is needed to at least pass Organic 2 (which is death).

Whatever you do, do NOT retake organic 1 with another jammed packed schedule full of hard classes. You're probably mentally exhausted from this past semester, and retaking this class that you probably hate right away is not going to do you any favors. For some people, taking organic alone will help them (maybe during the summer) and that's probably what you need to do too. Don't destroy the rest of your GPA just to PASS one class. I learned the hard way. You want to learn the material because you need it for the MCAT and Orgo 2.

What would change if you changed your degree? Most if not all science majors need Orgo, that's not going to change and that's your real issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I got a D in Organic 1. The only D I got in my upper level science classes. I took it again the next semester, and got an F. I also joined the class 3 weeks late, and was totally somewhere else during that semester (not focused). Nonetheless, no excuse, I should've done better. I'll be re-taking it as a post bacc. Since you're only in your 2nd year, you're going to have to take re-take it in order to graduate assuming you're doing a science major.

At this point you need to think about extending your undergraduate stay. It sounds like studying is the issue for you. I think you should go to some seminar/tutoring workshops that goes over how to study. Don't take them from granted. Even the smallest, most obvious points make a difference. I would honestly go up to your organic professor and ask him/her how to study for this subject. Then bring all your old tests, and go over them with him/her. Especially, if you're retaking the class with that professor then this would be really helpful, and probably get you on their good side. If you feel like you dedicated that much time with Orgo, and still got an F then you're not understanding the material. Go to orgo tutoring session, become friends with people who did really well in the class (ask them for their notes/help), and go to the professors office everyday with at least two questions about the material you went over that day to re-confirm/just show them your notes. It might seem pointless, but it will make a difference. You don't want to just pass Organic, you want to at least get a C or higher, because remember some of that information is needed to at least pass Organic 2 (which is death).

Whatever you do, do NOT retake organic 1 with another jammed packed schedule full of hard classes. You're probably mentally exhausted from this past semester, and retaking this class that you probably hate right away is not going to do you any favors. For some people, taking organic alone will help them (maybe during the summer) and that's probably what you need to do too. Don't destroy the rest of your GPA just to PASS one class. I learned the hard way. You want to learn the material because you need it for the MCAT and Orgo 2.

What would change if you changed your degree? Most if not all science majors need Orgo, that's not going to change and that's your real issue.

Thank you for the advice! I'll probably do all of that next semester.
Unfortunately, Orgo I in the spring has a different professor. However, I've been told he is a really good professor compared to my Orgo professors (I had 3 different ones). I'm going to try my best semester though! I think studying for this particular class was pretty hard cause there's a lot more than memorizing a bunch of stuff.

I think my backup idea was public health or exercise science, which don't require Orgo

Hello, I am a recent grad from one of the UC's. When I reflect on myself during my sophomore when I took my organic chemistry classes, I studied a lot but I also tried to take some time to relax. I know that you think you should study 24/7 to ace the exam, but the reality is, the ones that take some time to rest and invest time in their personal life endure the course load better. Why don't you take a step back from thinking about school, and take some time to rest your body and mind?

I'll definitely do that! I really need the break

Unfortunately, Orgo I in the spring has a different professor. However, I've been told he is a really good professor compared to my Orgo professors (I had 3 different ones). I'm going to try my best semester though! I think studying for this particular class was pretty hard cause there's a lot more than memorizing a bunch of stuff.

I think my backup idea was public health or exercise science, which don't require Orgo

Even if you don't need Organic Chem for you major, med schools require it. Here's the good news: you just started your sophomore year, and a lot can change. Work on how you study and seek help with tutors if that is helpful. Med school is still attainable if you can get your GPA up in the next couple years before applying and show that you became a strong student after a shaky start. Don't retake o.chem if you aren't ready...it will burden your class load, and take a toll on your other courses.

Even if you don't need Organic Chem for you major, med schools require it. Here's the good news: you just started your sophomore year, and a lot can change. Work on how you study and seek help with tutors if that is helpful. Med school is still attainable if you can get your GPA up in the next couple years before applying and show that you became a strong student after a shaky start. Don't retake o.chem if you aren't ready...it will burden your class load, and take a toll on your other courses.

Oh I know. I was planning to not go to med school if I changed my major.
I feel like I'll be a lot more prepare for next semester for orgo. I failed on the part of seeking help this semester since my classes were all scheduled during TA/TI/Professor office hours.
And thank you for the advice :)

Oh I know. I was planning to not go to med school if I changed my major.
I feel like I'll be a lot more prepare for next semester for orgo. I failed on the part of seeking help this semester since my classes were all scheduled during TA/TI/Professor office hours.
And thank you for the advice :)

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood why you would switch majors ^^. I encourage you to think critically on what career you want. If your passion is with medicine, I think you can still make it happen with a lot of hard work. Many schools offer free tutoring options from other students when you aren't able to see the prof/TA. If your school has those options, I recommend taking advantaged of them.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood why you would switch majors ^^. I encourage you to think critically on what career you want. If your passion is with medicine, I think you can still make it happen with a lot of hard work. Many schools offer free tutoring options from other students when you aren't able to see the prof/TA. If your school has those options, I recommend taking advantaged of them.

Aha no problem! It was fault for not being clear.
Yeah I'm really thinking about my life right now actually. I like medicine and I've dreamt about being a doctor since I was a kid; it's just orgo is destroying my hopes and dreams at the moment.
And I know I shouldn't let one class affect my decision right now, but I can't help it. Maybe I'll get over it after a few weeks of winter break relaxation

Ahhh so you're not dead set on medical school. You're at a critical stage in your undergrad career. Is it because you failed Orgo the reason for wanting to switch or something else? If you really want to be a doctor, and orgo is the reason you're thinking otherwise then maybe you need to step back for bit? I really don't think you should be taking organic 1 next semester with this mindset. You obviously don't like the subject, even enough to get you to think of changing majors. I want to encourage you to pursue medicine if that's really what you want to do, but it doesn't seem like that's the case. You still have a chance to turn things around; with another year of undergrad you could very well come out with a decent GPA (if you really put everything you got into it) assuming the rest of you app is shiny. BUT you need to be clear on what you want to do. You either want to go to medical school or you don't. No in between, it's a yes or no question. Once you find the answer to it, STICK TO IT.

Until you've found the answer I would hold off on taking orgo.

Ahhh so you're not dead set on medical school. You're at a critical stage in your undergrad career. Is it because you failed Orgo the reason for wanting to switch or something else? If you really want to be a doctor, and orgo is the reason you're thinking otherwise then maybe you need to step back for bit? I really don't think you should be taking organic 1 next semester with this mindset. You obviously don't like the subject, even enough to get you to think of changing majors. I want to encourage you to pursue medicine if that's really what you want to do, but it doesn't seem like that's the case. You still have a chance to turn things around; with another year of undergrad you could very well come out with a decent GPA (if you really put everything you got into it) assuming the rest of you app is shiny. BUT you need to be clear on what you want to do. You either want to go to medical school or you don't. No in between, it's a yes or no question. Once you find the answer to it, STICK TO IT.

Until you've found the answer I would hold off on taking orgo.

I think I'm going through the "I failed Orgo, can't be a doctor" phase. A lot of people I know who failed Gen Chem or Gen Bio went through that phase. I'm just being part of it at the moment.
I feel like after a lot of thinking, some time to relax, and talking to people about it; I'll probably be back on my original game plan which is med school.
I've always wanted to be a doctor since I was a kid, but as of right now I think my life decision is being clouded and consume by this one class and I can't help but keep thinking about it. I don't know I'm just scared and nervous

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm going through the "I failed Orgo, can't be a doctor" phase. A lot of people I know who failed Gen Chem or Gen Bio went through that phase. I'm just being part of it at the moment.
I feel like after a lot of thinking, some time to relax, and talking to people about it; I'll probably be back on my original game plan which is med school.
I've always wanted to be a doctor since I was a kid, but as of right now I think my life decision is being clouded and consume by this one class and I can't help but keep thinking about it. I don't know I'm just scared and nervous

I was in the same position as you were up until I graduated.

Don't let one F get you down. I know many friends who are medical students, and recent medical school graduates that had three F when applying to med school. I have more than three. I'm not a great example, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. Many people fail organic, the professor and even adcoms know it. It's a weed out class for a reason. If you can get back in there, retake it, and make a B or higher, than that's what they'll care about; the improvement. Don't let one class sway your passion to pursue med school, especially because having that clouded mindset while taking classes can be incredibly detrimental. The class is over, you got the grade you got, and you can't change that. What you can change is your approach so you can achieve the grades you want. You can do it!

Reactions: 1 user
Not as of right now.

I'm currently a 2nd year student at Rutger's University and aspiring to be a Radiologist. I was wondering if any med students or anybody in general went through my situation. My GPA is currently really bad (2.7) and I know it's going to drop more for this semester because I'm pretty sure I got an F in Orgo and the fact that I wasn't able to get any As in my other classes (got B+/B) cause I spent so much time with Orgo. Is there still a chance for me to get into med school?

You need to fix those deficits that are making you do so poorly. Go visit your school's learning or education center and get help.

At this point in my life I'm really debating if I should just change my major or not, but every one I've talk to tried to convince me to not give up. Also, I always feel like not matter how hard I try, I always never do as well as i expect.I don't drink or go out that much and all I ever do is study my butt off to just be completely let down in the end. However I do work, but it really doesn't affect my studying time cause I only work 1-2 a week for only 4 hours. I just resigned myself up for Orgo I again, but has anybody been in my situation? What should I do?[/QUOTE]

Not as of right now.

I'm currently a 2nd year student at Rutger's University and aspiring to be a Radiologist. I was wondering if any med students or anybody in general went through my situation. My GPA is currently really bad (2.7) and I know it's going to drop more for this semester because I'm pretty sure I got an F in Orgo and the fact that I wasn't able to get any As in my other classes (got B+/B) cause I spent so much time with Orgo. Is there still a chance for me to get into med school?

You need to fix those deficits that are making you do so poorly. Go visit your school's learning or education center and get help.

At this point in my life I'm really debating if I should just change my major or not, but every one I've talk to tried to convince me to not give up. Also, I always feel like not matter how hard I try, I always never do as well as i expect.I don't drink or go out that much and all I ever do is study my butt off to just be completely let down in the end. However I do work, but it really doesn't affect my studying time cause I only work 1-2 a week for only 4 hours. I just resigned myself up for Orgo I again, but has anybody been in my situation? What should I do?
[/QUOTE]

Thanks I will probably do that next semester for sure

I was in the same position as you were up until I graduated.

Don't let one F get you down. I know many friends who are medical students, and recent medical school graduates that had three F when applying to med school. I have more than three. I'm not a great example, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. Many people fail organic, the professor and even adcoms know it. It's a weed out class for a reason. If you can get back in there, retake it, and make a B or higher, than that's what they'll care about; the improvement. Don't let one class sway your passion to pursue med school, especially because having that clouded mindset while taking classes can be incredibly detrimental. The class is over, you got the grade you got, and you can't change that. What you can change is your approach so you can achieve the grades you want. You can do it!

Thank you for the encouragement!

I came back from a 2.8 at the end of my sophomore year, so it can be done. Maybe consider retaking orgo at an easier school over the summer? Be sure to asses why you arent doing well and fix the problem. Try to find study groups and utilize online resources and any free tutoring your school may provide. Retake other C/D/F coursework to get a decent GPA for DO, maybe take a 5th year of school to help with GPA repair.

I'm currently a 2nd year student at Rutger's University and aspiring to be a Radiologist
My GPA is currently really bad (2.7)

It sure seems like SDN always has a shortage of aspiring docs with well-below average stats who are going for somewhat competitive/competitive specialties ;)

In all seriousness, OP, follow what others have said. Guessing you are not URM... so aim for at least 510 on the MCAT, preferably 515+. Standardized tests might be up your alley. Osteopathic (DO) schools should be your target at this point.

It sure seems like SDN always has a shortage of aspiring docs with well-below average stats who are going for somewhat competitive/competitive specialties ;)

In all seriousness, OP, follow what others have said. Guessing you are not URM... so aim for at least 510 on the MCAT, preferably 515+. Standardized tests might be up your alley. Osteopathic (DO) schools should be your target at this point.

I've heard radiology isn't all that competitive these days, lots of new residencies opening and the job market is saturated so people are getting scared off. Guess thats not good news for OP though.

If you have time, read this book called "Organic Chemistry as a Second language" There is a part 1 & part 2. I worked through this book 2 weeks before classes started, and I got an A+ in ochem 1 & 2. I've since recommended this book to many of my friends who were terrified of O-chem. Out of the 3 that actually read the book (its short) all 3 got an A. I don't work for the publishing company or anything I promise.

If you have time, read this book called "Organic Chemistry as a Second language" There is a part 1 & part 2. I worked through this book 2 weeks before classes started, and I got an A+ in ochem 1 & 2. I've since recommended this book to many of my friends who were terrified of O-chem. Out of the 3 that actually read the book (its short) all 3 got an A. I don't work for the publishing company or anything I promise.

I'm enjoying the book title :laugh:
Is it really expensive?