Low GPA, where to go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdent6297

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be graduating next May (Spring 2015) with a B.S. in Science Nutrition from a top public Midwest University. However, my GPA is dismal: 2.5. With as many credits as I have, I'm looking at a 2.5-2.6 GPA come graduation. While my GPA has been trending upwards, it hasn't been the best it could be. Until the last year or so, I was lazy, not going to all my classes, and not knowing the proper way to study. I truly think that I am smart enough to become a dentist, and it truly is my passion, despite the discouragement I have received.

Anyways, where do I go from here? I don't think post-bac would be the best idea, given that it would take a lot of courses to get my gpa above a 3.0. Is my GPA too low for an SMP? Other than basically restarting with a whole new undergrad degree, I see no options of pursuing my dream.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should look into SMPs. I am in the same boat as you and have a pretty good DAT score and have been working on an upward trend. Apply to a SMP, a lot of people here will say you won't get in but I got in with almost the same GPA, slightly higher, and my DAT score from my first attempt which wasn't even close to as good as it is now. Just do your research and apply to SMPs, all the dental schools I spoke to said post-bacc courses or masters is the only way to go at this point. Aside from that all the research I have done has led me to SMP over post-bacc simply because it opens more doors for you if you do well.

Do a master or a post-bac
you're right about you haven't a good chance to get to a post-bac with less than 3.0 but do a lot of research about it i know couple of school might accept you with less than 3.0 like CSU and Hawaii schools