Low GPA: Would an SMP program help if your goal is MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Professor Deej

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you guys help my cousin with his issue? Thanks!

His question:
I've taken an interest in research and I may want to go the MD/PhD-Virology route. The problem is my science grades aren't that good. I know that I could've gotten better grades but I was unmotivated and not sure about what I wanted to do in life. Would a Physiology SMP help open the MD/PhD doors? Or are those programs only for students who are solely after an MD?

Thanks guy!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have much to contribute to your question directly but I would recommend that your friend look into exactly what he wants. If he/she wants to improve UG GPA, SMP is not the way to go.
SMP --> Show that you can handle med school curriculum despite your bad grades and your grad school courses to beef up your app. The grades from SMPs show up as graduate coursework on your application.
Post bacc --> Upper level courses to improve UG (s/c)GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't feel it's right to comment until I know more about the application in question. I want to know the usual: cumulative and science GPA, MCAT score, and years of research experience.

Generally, I do not recommend SMPs. However, what was the major of your cousin and did he take all of the pre-med courses?

I don't feel it's right to comment until I know more about the application in question. I want to know the usual: cumulative and science GPA, MCAT score, and years of research experience.

Generally, I do not recommend SMPs. However, what was the major of your cousin and did he take all of the pre-med courses?

Fair enough!

Psych major (Senior)
cGPA: 3.0
sGPA: 1.8
MCAT: n/a

He's only taken half of the pre-reqs because he was usually off-and-on about being pre-med in the past.

He took this Winter semester off to figure out what he really wants to do with his life and he decided medical research.

In the past, he would always let the horror stories scare him away but I thinks he's serious about it this time.

He only has 6 months of preventive public health research experience.

This is the type of case where it's going to be extremely difficult to get into medical school at all, let alone MD/PhD. I'd say choose one of medical school OR graduate school and focus on that for now. I've seen people with GPAs like that who are not even able to get a decent graduate school spot.

If he does decide on medical school, he could consider SMP. But with that science GPA, I don't know if a SMP will take him. I'm also a bit pessimistic as to whether he'd ever get in even with a successful SMP. I think if he repeats a lot of courses and gets a near 4.0 in the SMP, he could be successful in the DO route (DO application replaces grades, MD doesn't). As always, you could consider just continuing in undergrad an extra year if allowed. Typically this is much cheaper than an SMP and just as effective.

This is the type of case where it's going to be extremely difficult to get into medical school at all, let alone MD/PhD. I'd say choose one of medical school OR graduate school and focus on that for now. I've seen people with GPAs like that who are not even able to get a decent graduate school spot.

If he does decide on medical school, he could consider SMP. But with that science GPA, I don't know if a SMP will take him. I'm also a bit pessimistic as to whether he'd ever get in even with a successful SMP. I think if he repeats a lot of courses and gets a near 4.0 in the SMP, he could be successful in the DO route (DO application replaces grades, MD doesn't). As always, you could consider just continuing in undergrad an extra year if allowed. Typically this is much cheaper than an SMP and just as effective.

I know that he is planning a 5th year in undergrad to retake and finish the prereqs and to take a few upper-level bio courses as well. He said a lot of smp programs that he talked to said they would take his gpa as it is on his schools transcript, and his school has a grade forgiveness policy, so he's hoping that will help.

I think he understands how screwed he is but he's still hoping to find a way to slip in somewhere. I will definitely inform him about DO school though. Thanks! :thumbup:

He took this Winter semester off to figure out what he really wants to do with his life and he decided medical research.

all reasonable advice but does this cousin really need a md?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

He's done for MD. There's no way to make up a 1.8 sGPA. SMPs are for borderline candidates, not complete make-overs.

DO is possible with grade replacement.