Low Graduate GPA, 500 MCAT and some other issues...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seanxx777

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year in school: 2nd year in Biomedical Sciences Program, Graduated from UGA 2012 with BS Microbiology

Country/state of residence: US/Georgia

Schools to which you are applying: ACOM, PCOM, AZCOM, LECOM, NOVA, Ross, St. George's, AT Still

Cumulative GPA: undergrad 3.27, graduate 2.73

Science GPA:

MCAT Scores: 125, 124, 126, 125

Research – None

Volunteering (clinical) – 40 hrs at Northside Hospital and 50 hrs for Stone Mountain Family Medicine

Physician shadowing –10 hrs, general practioner

Non-clinical volunteering: 40 hrs Habitat for Humanity, and Medshare International

Extracurricular activities

Employment history: Worked 2 years as a tutor

Immediate family members in medicine? Mother was and OBGYN in India and is currently a Nurse practioner

Specialty of interest: surgery or internal medicine

Graduate degrees: will be completing MS Biomedical Science this June Interest in rural health (y/n) Yes

I was charged with DUI earlier this year and I was cited for shoplifting a few weeks ago. I have hired attorneys for both these cases. They were stupid errors in judgment. Do I have any chance if I apply this year? Also how should I address these transgressions on apps because most apps only ask about convictions and neither matter has been resolved yet. I am afraid that if I wait until the next cycle I will have to disclose either 1 or 2 of these offenses and that would greatly reduce my chances. Go ahead and grill me....I deserve it

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna guess that with the low GPA, low MCAT, low number of volunteering hours, 0 research, virtually no shadowing, recent DUI, and recent shoplifting incident, and fairly late application, you're out of luck this cycle. Fixing GPA and MCAT will involve grade replacement + retaking the MCAT, upping hours on activities just means do them more, but fixing the criminal charges will be more difficult. My guess is that medicine might not be the best path for your to pursue for at least the next several years.

Reactions: 2 users
I called the schools listed and they said 500 was competitive. I am retaking some classes in my Master's program. Even Caribbean schools would be out of reach? I am too old to wait more time so I have to try to move forward with something now. How should I address the infractions on applications if I do apply this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the schools listed and they said 500 was competitive. I am retaking some classes in my Master's program. Even Caribbean schools would be out of reach? I am too old to wait more time so I have to try to move forward with something now. How should I address the infractions on applications if I do apply this year?

500 is competitive for some DO schools when paired with the rest of the package. The score does not exist in a vacuum and unfortunately the rest of the package is lacking.

Caribbean schools will accept you if you have a pulse and money, but are a really good way to likely waste 400k. If you want to know why, do a quick SDN search and you'll find it discussed ad nauseam. If you read that, understand why it's a terrible gamble, and still choose to apply, then fine, but do so with as much prior information as possible.

I don't know how to address infractions. I would wait for other more knowledgable members to stop by and comment (don't worry - just be patient and they will).

Aren't SGU and Ross the two better Caribbean schools? If not Caribbean schools, should I do a different post bac like at LECOM or just wait to apply later? I am retaking some of the classes i did poorly in my current master's program. I just feel so horrible about the shoplifting incident because that makes it 2 in a year. What can I do to improve my chances as much as possible despite my drawbacks?

Please do not go to Caribbean schools. Do a quick read of the horror stories on this page to find out why. That graduate degree GPA scares me. I would retake the MCAT just to show you are better than that. Try to get a 505+. Get your criminal charges clear and start from there. Don't apply this cycle.

Depending on the outcome of the shoplifting charge, it could be quite some time before you can consider a run at a US medical school.
I am already 25 and I can't afford to live at home anymore. I understand that time is the only way to distance myself from my bad decisions but I really don't have it. I guess I could try to get a job with my degree and apply in a year or two but I am not confident of getting a job either. I feel so hopeless and it's really making me distraught, thus the reason I'm considering the Caribbean.

I am already 25 and I can't afford to live at home anymore. I understand that time is the only way to distance myself from my bad decisions but I really don't have it. I guess I could try to get a job with my degree and apply in a year or two but I am not confident of getting a job either. I feel so hopeless and it's really making me distraught, thus the reason I'm considering the Caribbean.
You will be even more distraught if you are hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and unemployed. Since you don't want to wait, are there any alternative careers you are willing to consider?

You will be even more distraught if you are hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and unemployed. Since you don't want to wait, are there any alternative careers you are willing to consider?

I am willing to wait but I don't really want to retake the MCAT because I busted my butt this summer and still only managed a 500. I guess in terms of alternative careers I would be ok with a research job or something for a year or so, but ultimately I am determined to go to medical school. Also I'm not sure what jobs I could target with my degrees. I was hoping to get into PCOM because that's where I am doing my master's.

Two bad decisions so far this year will only be compounded by a third (with interest).
I have multiple friends who are in residency and they went to SGU and Ross. I understand the attrition and difficulty matching but I am too far in the process and in debt to consider a complete career change but I would be fine with working for a year or two. I just wish I didn't make some of these mistakes because maybe my chances would have been better then

Please do not go to Caribbean schools. Do a quick read of the horror stories on this page to find out why. That graduate degree GPA scares me. I would retake the MCAT just to show you are better than that. Try to get a 505+. Get your criminal charges clear and start from there. Don't apply this cycle.
I don't think I'll get both charges cleared but maybe 1 of the 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have multiple friends who are in residency and they went to SGU and Ross. I understand the attrition and difficulty matching but I am too far in the process and in debt to consider a complete career change but I would be fine with working for a year or two. I just wish I didn't make some of these mistakes because maybe my chances would have been better then
Depending on the outcome of the shoplifting charge, it could be quite some time before you can consider a run at a US medical school.
I don't think I'll get both charges cleared but maybe 1 of the 2.
"A year or two" won't be long enough. I was arrested over 8 years ago for possession of marijuana (charges dropped for lack of evidence) and it is still something that I need to address (and I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time...) A theft compounded with a DUI is much more serious. And they will see the charges even if they are dropped btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
"A year or two" won't be long enough. I was arrested over 8 years ago for possession of marijuana (charges dropped for lack of evidence) and it is still something that I need to address (and I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time...) A theft compounded with a DUI is much more serious. And they will see the charges even if they are dropped btw.
Did you apply to both MD and DO schools? 8 years seems like a very long time for a possession charge to hold you back from getting into med schools

Did you apply to both MD and DO schools? 8 years seems like a very long time for a possession charge to hold you back from getting into med schools
I haven't applied yet, and I'm not saying it will prevent me from getting in, just that it needs to be addressed. I'm just giving you an example of the long-lasting effects of these things.

Three of them matched this year and two last year but I do understand the risk.
You are dancing very near the qualities that make Program Directors wary of interviewing Caribbean grads: haste, excessive risk-taking, parental problems, IA's/criminal record...

I'll be the jerk who says that you should consider the fact that not everyone is meant for a career as a physician. You haven't shown you have the academic chops to get through the process. The MCAT is only the beginning of tough standardized tests, and med school is unlikely to be any easier than your grad school classes where you are sub-3.0. Add to all that the fact that you have repeatedly shown colossally bad judgment, and you get a very unattractive candidate to any medical school other than the predatory ones.

Reactions: 1 users
You are dancing very near the qualities that make Program Directors wary of interviewing Caribbean grads: haste, excessive risk-taking, parental problems, IA's/criminal record...
I'm assuming you mean residency directors. I don't know what IA means but parental problems??

I'm assuming you mean residency directors. I don't know what IA means but parental problems??

Program Director is the official title for residency directors. IA = Institutional Action (basically the college version of a crime, like cheating, stealing, drugs, etc)

Reactions: 1 users
Yes.
Institutional actions.
Many of those in the Caribbean are there because of parental pressure to be MD's.
Your parental issue is different, but it is one of many perceived reasons for such a drastic and risky choice.

I'll be the jerk who says that you should consider the fact that not everyone is meant for a career as a physician. You haven't shown you have the academic chops to get through the process. The MCAT is only the beginning of tough standardized tests, and med school is unlikely to be any easier than your grad school classes where you are sub-3.0. Add to all that the fact that you have repeatedly shown colossally bad judgment, and you get a very unattractive candidate to any medical school other than the predatory ones.
Yeah maybe you are right. I only did poorly in 1 term of the program but it brought my gpa down a good bit. I am retaking both those classes and my undergrad science gpa is pretty solid. I know you are only trying to be candid by saying I should consider other options but I don't really feel like I have other options. I will say though, in retrospect if I had known that getting into medical school would've been such a struggle I would've just switched majors in college to something that would allow me to get a decent job. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Yes.
Institutional actions.
Many of those in the Caribbean are there because of parental pressure to be MD's.
Your parental issue is different, but it is one of many perceived reasons for such a drastic and risky choice.
So my IA's are the charges pending? I wouldn't say my parents ever pressured me into trying to become a doctor but at the same time it is reasonable for them to expect me to be independent by my age

So my IA's are the charges pending? I wouldn't say my parents ever pressured me into trying to become a doctor but at the same time it is reasonable for them to expect me to be independent by my age

He said IA/criminal record. In this case, it's criminal record, which is worse. There's also haste and excessive risk-taking.

I cannot recommend a career in Medicine. You're auto-reject bait at my school.

Year in school: 2nd year in Biomedical Sciences Program, Graduated from UGA 2012 with BS Microbiology

Country/state of residence: US/Georgia

Schools to which you are applying: ACOM, PCOM, AZCOM, LECOM, NOVA, Ross, St. George's, AT Still

Cumulative GPA: undergrad 3.27, graduate 2.73

Science GPA:

MCAT Scores: 125, 124, 126, 125

Research – None

Volunteering (clinical) – 40 hrs at Northside Hospital and 50 hrs for Stone Mountain Family Medicine

Physician shadowing –10 hrs, general practioner

Non-clinical volunteering: 40 hrs Habitat for Humanity, and Medshare International

Extracurricular activities

Employment history: Worked 2 years as a tutor

Immediate family members in medicine? Mother was and OBGYN in India and is currently a Nurse practioner

Specialty of interest: surgery or internal medicine

Graduate degrees: will be completing MS Biomedical Science this June Interest in rural health (y/n) Yes

I was charged with DUI earlier this year and I was cited for shoplifting a few weeks ago. I have hired attorneys for both these cases. They were stupid errors in judgment. Do I have any chance if I apply this year? Also how should I address these transgressions on apps because most apps only ask about convictions and neither matter has been resolved yet. I am afraid that if I wait until the next cycle I will have to disclose either 1 or 2 of these offenses and that would greatly reduce my chances. Go ahead and grill me....I deserve it

Two legal problems in one year? If they happened when you were 18 (young and stupid excuse), then maybe ok.

Age 25 though?

I hate to sound brutal but you would have all kinds of issues throughout your medical education career.

I'm pretty sure for residency apps AMCAS asks if you have been charged with crimes. If you had to answer yes, and if you were coming from a Carib school...Ay de mi. Your MCAT score indicates you could have problems with step 1....maybe not, but let's say you don't do super well.

A program director's thought process: will this person pass boards and if so, will they get licensed with all their legal issues? Next candidate.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm sorry but the fact that you commit crimes even now (and with your track record and ethics I wouldn't put it past you again) shows to your parents that you can't be independent. You aren't 5 years old, you are 25 years old... You haven't demonstrated any academic strengths, notwithstanding the worse Masters GPA (which should never happen). Your EC barely make a blip on anyone's radar. I'm gonna tell it straight ... you still haven't sorted out your life and until you grow up you'd do the world a better service by not being a doctor.

I have to agree with everyone here as well. One charge even a misdemeanor, which DUI usually is the first time, puts you at a serious disadvantage even as a top notch candidate. You are below the average even for DO schools. More than that you don't have any shadowing, okayish volunteering, so it's not like we can even say you know what it means to be a doctor.

You are also in a master's program which you did worse in than your undergraduate, what does that say for MD/DO which are technically "graduate" programs?

I'll put it like this, if you are willing you could probably try going to medical school in five years, maybe more. That's how serious a DUI charge is coupled with a theft and low stats. A friend of mine actually has a 35 year old nurse in his med school class with him, so it is possible.

Thing is are you willing to spend the next few years working a job for a science major (probably research), volunteering, shadowing, and all around showing you are a changed person?

After you fix your graduate GPA I would suggest getting a tutor for the MCAT, getting involved with some kind of volunteer work that helps turn around kids who have misdemeanor charges, start shadowing, and get a job. Some years down the road all of this would show vast improvement in all of your previous bad qualities, but for now MD or DO is not in the cards for a while.

TLDR: You screwed up, now you have to pay the time required to show everyone you are different through new better actions. If you aren't willing to sacrifice that kind of time then the duties of a physician are most certainly not for you and you should consider a different career.

If you're really that passionate about healthcare maybe look into another healthcare career. Physical therapy, podiatry, NP, etc.

What is the context of the shoplifting charge? Like did you forget you were carrying a pack of gum and walk out of a store? Or did you grab a laptop at Best Buy and bolt for the door?