Low MCAT (but balanced), decent GPA, honest feedback appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intronic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
So I recently received my MCAT score (first time) : 24 (8,8,8). Felt like I underperformed on Bio and Verbal, but honestly do not want to take it again if possible.

My cGPA is around 3.6 and my sGPA is around 3.5 (I can probably raise these to 3.65, 3.55 before graduation). I would be grateful to get into any DO school (except LUCOM, after reading around haha) since the goal in the end is to achieve my dream of becoming a great physician. My EC's are not outstanding: I have around 100 hours volunteering in the ICU, 2 years as head of my church youth group, played a semester of intramural badminton, and can probably get some DO shadowing in before June.

My questions are:
1) Should I retake this MCAT score?
2)Should I apply this upcoming cycle early and see what happens, or should I wait until 2016 and apply then? Does it hurt to be a re-applicant?
3)I have been looking around and got a rough idea of a school list, but if someone with more experience could help me out it would be seriously awesome!

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

As low as the 24 may seem at first glance, it is very well balanced. Add in the fact that your GPAs are solid, I say you could have a chance at some of the lower tier DO schools.

If I were in your shoes, I would not retake the MCAT and instead, get my app in on the first day and hope for the best.

I had your same exact scores. Out of the 9 schools I sent my LoRs to, 5 invited me for interviews, two of which I attended and got accepted to both.
You also have a slightly better GPA than I had. Apply the first day, do your secondaries fast, and start practicing some interview questions, and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Get that DO shadowing in so you can get a DO letter. A lot of DO schools require/prefer it.

Thank you @samac , I'll be sure to do some shadowing before I apply!

Can anyone else give their opinions on my stats / what I should do?

Dr. @Goro I would be extremely grateful for your opinion.

OP, where are you from?

Some of my advice:
-Your MCAT has an even break, not retaking is understandable. I would just focus on getting A's in the remaining classes.
-Rack up shadowing hours and obtain DO LOR. I would make sure to shadow in Family Medicine specifically. I would stick to ~20 hours or so per doctor if possible. Most docs who are open to shadowing multiple times are more than willing to write a LOR, send those docs some background about you (strengths/interests/future plans) so they have some content to make it a good LOR.
-Keep volunteering in your community.
- Start writing your Personal Statement now if you haven't already, make sure this is strong. I got help from my Immunology professor lol IDK if you're close with any faculty who will do that for you, but get a ton of feedback from people.
-Pre-write the descriptions you'll add into AACOMAS, I treated these like secondary essays. And it made applying quicker and easier.
-And of course, apply as early as humanly possible.

The general idea is to make sure everything else in your app is stellar to offset your MCAT. I too have a lower MCAT with a high GPA, I spent a lot of time with my PS and each secondary essay.

Feel free to PM me for stats/questions/concerns.

yes, if you want to go to KCUMB, Western, the NY or CA Touros, or AZCOM.

Yes.
2)Should I apply this upcoming cycle early and see what happens,

Wm Carey
PCOM
PCOM-GA
WVSOM
ACOM
All three VCOMs
LMU
CUSOM
MUCOM
AT Still
KYCOM

3)I have been looking around and got a rough idea of a school list, but if someone with more experience could help me out it would be seriously awesome!

Thank you all![/QUOTE]

@MedNation907 Its a huge relief to meet someone who was in a similar situation. Thank you, I will shoot you a PM with some questions if that's okay.

@Goro Thank you so much for your input Dr.Goro. I truly appreciate your help!

@Intronic Yep! Just recently unemployed, so when I'm not at the gym I'll be roaming on here haha

yes, if you want to go to KCUMB, Western, the NY or CA Touros, or AZCOM.

Yes.
2)Should I apply this upcoming cycle early and see what happens,

Wm Carey
PCOM
PCOM-GA
WVSOM
ACOM
All three VCOMs
LMU
CUSOM
MUCOM
AT Still
KYCOM

Thank you all!
[/QUOTE]
Hi Goro!

Thanks for you all your great advice. I recently attended a seminar at one of the Touros and found out that the lowest MCAT they accepted for the last cohort was a 23. Now, that person could have had a 4.0GPA, won the Nobel Prize, etc.. but a 25 is not outside of range that they accept is what I am getting at. Why wouldn't the OP have a shot?

Look at their average MCAT score. The 23 must have had something spectacular.

Hi Goro!

Thanks for you all your great advice. I recently attended a seminar at one of the Touros and found out that the lowest MCAT they accepted for the last cohort was a 23. Now, that person could have had a 4.0GPA, won the Nobel Prize, etc.. but a 25 is not outside of range that they accept is what I am getting at. Why wouldn't the OP have a shot?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
Go for it! My stats were exactly the same (only difference was the distribution of points on MCAT). My volunteer experience was very minimal but had extensive shadowing and 1 year of ER scribing. It's all about applying smart. I landed 2 interviews out of the 2 secondaries I submitted back. Rejected at the first interview, accepted at the second.

Edit: I forgot to mention the two schools I received interviews from are regional bias schools. I was fortunate enough to have ties to both areas, so make sure to also look into schools that favor your location.