Low MCAT - Critique my school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to apply to about 30 schools (MD and DO) but need help trimming down my list. Here is my information

26 years old, white male

Great school, but not IVY

B.S Psych (neuroscience) cum laude, dean's list, psi chi
Associate's Criminal Justice cum laude, dean's list
3.6 Cum and Sci GPA
27 Mcat (8/9/10)

- Full time EMT
- Volunteer on ambulance since August 2012
- Crew chief (officer status)
- Board Assistant (public relations)
- Just hired as Emergency Department technician

- Hospice volunteer since January 2013

- 1 year research with marmoset monkeys (no pubs)

- 1 year TA for endocrinology

- 1 year RA senior year in college

- 6 months soup kitchen volunteer
- 6 months volunteer with Alzheimer's patients in neuroscience club
- Coordinated and worked with Occupy Sandy to provide medical treatment in Rockaway Beach NY

50 hours shadowing several radiologists
30 hours shadowing DO

Musician (drums) for 24 years, hence the later graduation. I was touring and playing shows after high school. I was also an officer in my last, most serious band as we ran the label as well.

I was also a Varsity ice hockey and roller hockey player, as well as travel roller for several big names. I still play for fun. I rock climb both outdoors and indoors.

DO List:

Arizona College
Chicago College
New York College
Nova Southeastern University
Philadelphia College
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California, CA
University of Medicine of New Jersey
Western University of the Pacific - Pomona, CA
Lake Eerie College of Medicine

MD List from low mcat to highest:

Meharry
Morehouse
Howard
Louisiana state
Univ of North Dakota
Loma Linda
Indiana state
Chicago at Roseland
Medical college of georgia
Univ of Arizona
Univ california, Davis
Univ california, LA
Medical college of Wisconsin
Univ of Lousiana
Univ of North Carolina
Univ of Central Florida
Rush Medical
Oakland Univ
Penn State
Drexel
Wake Forest
Temple
Suny Downstate
Stony brook
Tufts
Univ of california, san diego
Jefferson medical
Georgetown
Loyola
Hofstra

Which of the MD's do I stand absolutely no chance? I'm guessing most, particularly tufts and the univ of california. Stupid MCAT!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also note that unfortunately I'm not competitive for the NY schools but they're state schools. Might as well try.

I deleted about 8 MD and 1 DO as they required biochem.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You have quite a few schools on that list that are "historically black." <--- straight from most of their mission statements. Was that your intention?

You have quite a few schools on that list that are "historically black." <--- straight from most of their mission statements. Was that your intention?

I suppose I should have some sort of amazing quality about me, but that doesn't change the fact they accept all races and I'm in MCAT range.

Your chances are vanishingly remote at all the CA MD schools listed (except maybe Loma Linda, if you are especially devout).

Yeah I figured, I just had them favorited due to MCAT range. I'll probably remove these.

I'm definitely not going to get into the other UC schools

I'm mulling over MDapps and I'm thinking of applying to all of the DO schools that don't require biochem.

My sister went to University of North Dakota. They are under-represented here on sdn (rarely see any posts from students). You have absolutely, positively no shot at UND. They only take in-state. It's virtually impossible to get in OOS.

For the historically black colleges. They are mostly mission based. At least one school told me I wasn't a strong candidate regardless of MCAT because my experience wasn't in line with their mission (and I'm half black :scared:). They said they wanted people that more the "Teach For America type" and the sort of applicants that had extensive experience working with the poor so I can understand my background not fitting.

You have no hope at the UCs (but you already knew that). UNC, LSU and Indiana have a strong in-state bias. You'd have a hard time with Tufts which is a very number focused school.

And, has already been mentioned, Loma is very mission specific. I'd strongly advise one of your recommendations to that school be from your pastor (a lot of my friends that were successful getting in there really felt that the being devote and getting letters from church officials helped prove they were really interested in the school).

Consider adding Albany Medical College to your list. You'd have a much better shot there than a lot of the schools on your list.

My sister went to University of North Dakota. They are under-represented here on sdn (rarely see any posts from students). You have absolutely, positively no shot at UND. They only take in-state. It's virtually impossible to get in OOS.

For the historically black colleges. They are mostly mission based. At least one school told me I wasn't a strong candidate regardless of MCAT because my experience wasn't in line with their mission (and I'm half black :scared:). They said they wanted people that more the "Teach For America type" and the sort of applicants that had extensive experience working with the poor so I can understand my background not fitting.

You have no hope at the UCs (but you already knew that). UNC, LSU and Indiana have a strong in-state bias. You'd have a hard time with Tufts which is a very number focused school.

And, has already been mentioned, Loma is very mission specific. I'd strongly advise one of your recommendations to that school be from your pastor (a lot of my friends that were successful getting in there really felt that the being devote and getting letters from church officials helped prove they were really interested in the school).

Consider adding Albany Medical College to your list. You'd have a much better shot there than a lot of the schools on your list.

My MD list was literally just thrown together from looking at MCAT range. I'm not even religious- I suppose loma linda only accepts overtly religious students? Yikes, just saw that they want christian physicians. No thanks

I have a question regarding the UC schools listed. I'm in the range for at least one of them as per the MSAR. Is it something else I'm missing? GPA?

I didn't include albany because they were one of the schools that were outside my MCAT range.

My MD list was literally just thrown together from looking at MCAT range. I'm not even religious- I suppose loma linda only accepts overtly religious students? Yikes, just saw that they want christian physicians. No thanks

I have a question regarding the UC schools listed. I'm in the range for at least one of them as per the MSAR. Is it something else I'm missing? GPA?

I didn't include albany because they were one of the schools that were outside my MCAT range.
We have thousands of excellent IS applicants at the "bottom range" (including many who have overcome crushing hardships). If you would stand out among them, go for it.

We have thousands of excellent IS applicants at the "bottom range" (including many who have overcome crushing hardships). If you would stand out among them, go for it.

Ah so it's a question of sheer numbers (although I'm sure that's the case with all of the schools). Is there any love for out of state? I actually dream of living in California one day.

Thank you for the help gentlemen.

Ah duh, I just checked and the UC schools are super cheap for residents. No wonder their MCAT range is 27-39. I'd get dwarfed by amazing in-state applicants.

I would emphasis what other posters have said, make sure you look at the school mission statement (historically black). I would also suggest taking out:
- LSU (>90% instate)
- Medical school of georgia (>90% instate)
- Wake forest (MSAR has median mcat as 34)
- Georgetown (>11,000 applicants, you do not have anything to stand out against so many applicants)
- All the UC schools (too competitive)
- North Dakota (Instate bias)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would emphasis what other posters have said, make sure you look at the school mission statement (historically black). I would also suggest taking out:
- LSU (>90% instate)
- Medical school of georgia (>90% instate)
- Wake forest (MSAR has median mcat as 34)
- Georgetown (>11,000 applicants, you do not have anything to stand out against so many applicants)
- All the UC schools (too competitive)
- North Dakota (Instate bias)

I've removed pretty much all those schools. I didn't know wake forest had a median of 34, I had simply noted it's 10% was 28.

I'm afraid so.

It's okay and I do appreciate your advice. I'm applying DO as well and that's probably where I'll land an acceptance. My goal is to become a physician regardless of my title!

New list:

DO

All schools that don't require biochem and or cost 60k+ for out of state.

MD

Meharry
West Virginia
Univ of Louisville
Univ Arizon
Univ Wisconsin
Temple
Univ of central Florida
Rush Medical
Oakland
Penn State
Drexel
Albany
Stony Brook
Jefferson
Loyola
Downstate NY
Hofstra

I would suggest adding mercer medical school. Its a private school in georgia with strong instate bias BUT you might still have a shot. I think their average MCAT is 28 or 29.

Really, I couldn't tell that you just looked at MCAT scores and didn't research the schools. :rolleyes:. Just giving you a hard time.

The problem you run into with the low MCAT MD schools is that they are very mission specific. For example, Loma Linda wants to produce "the next generation of Christian physicians." Howard wants to produce "the next generation of physicians that cater to the urban poor." University of North Dakota wants to produce a "new generation of physicians from North Dakota for the people of North Dakota." North Dakota only joined AMCAS in 2012 b/c they wanted to make it easier for the few people they accept from MN, MO, and WY.

I think several minutes on each website will save you a ton in application fees. You should ask yourself three questions as you do this:
1 - Are my MCAT/GPA competitive (at least in the bottom 10th).
2 - Do these schools take kids from OOS (a lot of the low MCAT schools do not and it is often very clear on their website (I know it is stated at least four or five times on the North Dakota website that they do not want OOS applicants)).
3 - Is my background in line with the school's mission.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
I don't think i had that on my list in the first place. I'll check it out

I guess I assumed you meant Rosalind Franklin when you said Chicago at Roseland. There isn't a medical school called Chicago at Roseland. Sorry about that. Your MCAT is pretty low for many of the MD schools. Good luck. You seem to have a good attitude.

ALL of them. Your MCAT is non-competitive for MD schools, except, maybe, SUNY Buffalo and Upstate. The national avg is 32. You've got some on your list that are HBCs, so you wouldn't qualify for them. State schools favor the home team, and so OOS applicants need to have outstanding stats for them.

You're fine for any DO program.

Which of the MD's do I stand absolutely no chance? I'm guessing most, particularly tufts and the univ of california. Stupid MCAT![/QUOTE]

MD List from low mcat to highest:

Meharry
Morehouse
Howard
Louisiana state
Univ of North Dakota
Loma Linda
Indiana state
Chicago at Roseland
Medical college of georgia
Univ of Arizona
Univ california, Davis
Univ california, LA
Univ of Lousiana
Univ of North Carolina
Univ of Central Florida
Rush Medical
Oakland Univ
Penn State
Drexel
Wake Forest
Temple
Suny Downstate
Stony brook
Tufts
Univ of california, san diego
Jefferson medical
Georgetown
Loyola
Hofstra

...North Dakota only joined AMCAS in 2012 b/c they wanted to accept a few people from MN, MO, and WY...

Not trying to get off topic, just want to clarify so anyone else considering UND from the above mentioned regions isn't mislead (as I seem to be one of the few ND residents lurking around SDN). UND only joined AMCAS for administrative reasons. They've always reserved 11 spots that are filled by MN and WICHE applicants (the remaining 50+ go to ND residents). This hasn't changed with the joining AMCAS or increases in class size. Currently there aren't any plans to increase the number of spots for non-residents.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew they had always taken a few others, but thought they did it to make it easier for the few others.

I realize now the intent of my statement and what I actually said were two different things. UND has always taken MN and WICHE applicants. They joined AMCAS to make it easier for these applicants. Thanks WilburCobb.

Not trying to get off topic, just want to clarify so anyone else considering UND from the above mentioned regions isn't mislead (as I seem to be one of the few ND residents lurking around SDN). UND only joined AMCAS for administrative reasons. They've always reserved 11 spots that are filled by MN and WICHE applicants (the remaining 50+ go to ND residents). This hasn't changed with the joining AMCAS or increases in class size. Currently there aren't any plans to increase the number of spots for non-residents.