Low MCAT + Decent GPA = ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ultimate_freak

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just how much DO they take the MCAT into consideration?

I've heard all of this "thank goodness they don't JUST look at GPAs" talk... but for me I hope they don't JUST look at MCATs...

My stats:
6V, 9B, 10P, N = 26 = BAD!
Sci GPA: 3.44
Overall GPA: 3.46
Interesting ECs (ie. biked cross country for Habitat for Humanity, taught computer lessens in West Africa)

Results so far:
1 interview (Penn State)
1 flat out rejection (Tulane)

Any thoughts?

I am trying to be optimistic but, am I holding on to false hope?? :)

Anyone else out there with the low MCAT, decent GPA deal? How goes it for you?

Members don't see this ad.

I say keep on writing to the ones that you got wait-listed at. Update your application with new grades and new awards. Let them know that you want to attend their school. As for the stats of people accepted last year, go check out the thread, "Got in? Give us your stats!" Good luck!

Hey freak! (sorry couldn't resist :D !!)

When did you get your invite from Penn state? and when did you get verified? Thanks!

Now for the encouragment! I know two people with 6-7 verbal and 10-11 on the other sections (both with a total score of 27), who got in Finch and Boston U this year. They both were pulled off waitlists at the last minute. So..my advice to you is to hang in there as we all are...and don't give up yet. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! It's so refreshing to see a post involvng real scores instead of all the 34's and 36's you see in others.

Ultimate freak- I have a friend who is applying this cycle with similar numbers to you. I'll let you know how she is doing and ends up doing. I know she's gotten a few rejections, but they've been from Pitt, Chicago, EVMS, and Georgetown. Maybe your EC's will compensate a little.

Low MCAT + Decent GPA = easy undergrad school

JimJones,
Time to lay off the cherry Kool-Aid. Freak may be a bad standardardized test taker!!

Sorry for the misspelling all- too much Beam and coke tonight.

I don't think a 3.4 is decent enough... is it?

Originally posted by gooloogooloo:
•I don't think a 3.4 is decent enough... is it?•••

I don't think it is in combination with a 26...I'd either retake the MCAT again or take (and get A's in) a lot of science courses. Since that latter would require probably about 2 years of work, retaking the MCAT sounds most feasible to me.

Whoops.. 6+9+10 doesn't = 26.. though 26 WAS my score! (got a 7V, not 6V)

To peanut: application verified ~7/20 with AMCAS, interviewed with Penn State 10/9, still waiting!

Time for the Simpsons . . got to go! :)

Try applying to Ottawa and McMaster (Ontario)- they don't even require the Mcat. My friend had a 24 or 25 and got in off the waiting list at these schools. Let us know what happens. You might want to consider DO school.