Low MCAt, Low GPA need serious advice and help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unchartedsoul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I appreciate anyone taking out the time to reply and help, thanks in advance!

I seriously need help, I know I am interested in pursuing medicine but its seems like a pipe dream at this point. I want some realistic advice as to what I can do at this point to have even the slightest chance of getting into medical school, allopathic, DO or even Caribbean schools considering my poor stats

Stat: Over Undergraduate GPA: 3.38 Graduated 2014
SGPA:3.0
MCAT 1st Dec,6th 2014: 19 VERY LOW, did not prepare properly and rushed it because I wanted to take it before the change for the new 2015 mcat, looking back that was another reckless decision. Studying to take the new 2015 mcat on May,22
EMT-Basic Certified
Completed Undergraduate Research in Psych Neuro-plasticity 2 year research assistant
Published one research paper with a Physician I shadowed
Secretary of Premed Club for 2 years
Vice President and Treasurer of my Major
Total Volunteer hours at multiple places 200hrs
3 summers worth of volunteer work in high school but that will not count anywhere
One honors society at my University for Leadership and Service
Have been TA-ing human anatomy for 2 years, continued for 1 year after graduation
Continuing to study for mcat and volunteer/ teach at the moment.

Most SMP deadlines are approaching, which ones should I apply to would like some recommendations.

I don't feel like my extracurriculars will help in any shape of form, because of my academic stats.
What is the next best option for me? Can anyone recommend any SMP's that might help me? Any positive advice that can help me get into medical school would be greatly appreciated. For anyone who thinks I will never get in spare me the read and don't bother commenting, I already know I've dug myself a deep hole, do not need anyone else pointing out the obvious. Just looking for advice on how to improve my chances and what I can do from here onwards to even remotely earn a chance to get into medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

I think just get a good MCAT score (like whatever the equivalent of a 30+ would be) and then you should be good for SMPs and the such. I would call admissions at the SMPs (I can think of Georgetown, Drexel, idk search the forums you'l find plenty) you'll apply to and let them know you are retaking the MCAT in May, sometimes they will wait to make a decision once your new scores are in. I think the KEY is rocking the MCAT, and honestly it is not an easy thing to do, so stay grounded and hit the books and study like you've never studied before and do your best!

Once you do that, you should be competitive for many SMPs I think. Don't know how you feel about DO schools, but you can take advantage of the grade replacement policy and up your GPA that way (much cheaper than any SMP or post-bacc) and then apply to DO schools once you have increased your MCAT. It's worth thinking about.

Also, side note: Whatever you choose to do, please don't rush anything! I'm sure you learned your lesson on that (sorry if that joke was too soon lol) but seriously take your time, take the MCAT when you are ready and apply when you are ready.

Don't even consider Caribbean. Your gpa is salvageable. Retake that mcat. With your current Gpa, the sci gpa borderline acceptable for DO schools. As the poster above me wrote, consider retake(s) to crank up that sci Gpa.
For md, smp is needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are correct on this score.

I don't feel like my extracurriculars will help in any shape of form, because of my academic stats.

Fastest route will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework and do well on the next MCAT. Then apply to DO schools.

If you're boning for the MD, then you'll need to ace MCAT (analogous to 33+) AND ace a post-bac or SM<P. The latter are a dime-a-dozen and just do your homework to find open. Off the top of my head, PCOM, Gtown, Drexel, Rosy Franklin, Mt Sinai, Western come to mind. Be prepared to relocate if needed. A post-bac can be done DIY to save of $.

And the next time, do NOT take a career-deciding, high stakes exam unless you're 100% ready for it. We tend to be gun-shy of poor choice makers.

What is the next best option for me? Can anyone recommend any SMP's that might help me?

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it, keeping my head down and focusing on the mcat right now.