Low MCAT? Need help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alien4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice please. I applied to all 9 schools.

My GPAs are -- Nonscience: 3.5, Science: 3.3, Overall: 3.37
My mcat is 7/6/7 - 20

I only took my Mcat one time. On my application, I indicated that I was planning on retaking in January.
My application is already verified and mailed to all 9 schools.

My question is - do I have a chance to get accepted anywhere with my low mcat and if I do get rejected to all of the 9 schools (hopefully I wont), can I apply again after my Mcat retake in mid January?? How does that work?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say you have a solid shot at the schools with larger class sizes like Kent, Scholl, NYCPM, Temple. DMU and AZPOD might already be filling up, but I think there's probably a solid chance that you won't have to retake the MCAT.

Your GPA is fine, your MCAT is not all that behind the average. Have you received any feedback from the schools you have applied to. If they invite you for an interview you are probably fine. DMU and AZPOD might pose a problem, but the others I think you have a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys. What will happen if I do get rejected to all schools, though. Will I have to apply a different cycle? Or can I apply to the schools again this cycle after the retake?
I have received 3 interviews already from New York, Kent State and CSPM. I will keep my fingers crossed!

I can't weigh in on applying twice in the same cycle, but considering you received 3 interview invites, I'd say there's a fair chance that you'll be matriculating this fall.

do our profession a favor and get a higher score on your mcat before applying, it's just embarrassing to say that podiatry's entrance stats are so low. There needs to be some kind of change.

Reactions: 3 users
Update --- Turns out I received 8 interviews.
Interviewed at KSUCPM, NYCPM and AZPOD so far.

So far, I was accepted to Kent and NYCPM with scholarships.

So for those of you applying with a low MCAT score like me, don't lose hope!
I'm still retaking my Mcat this saturday for higher potential scholarships.

Btw, when I went in to interview at AZPOD, they mentioned they only have around 4 seats left to fill for the cycle!!

Last edited:
AZPOD is small though. Not real surprising that there are only 4 seats. Your GPA will get you in somewhere, probably, but you'd better get a lot better at standardized testing before early July 2016.

do our profession a favor and get a higher score on your mcat before applying, it's just embarrassing to say that podiatry's entrance stats are so low. There needs to be some kind of change.
Get over yourself.

Coming from the king of being too blunt that was too blunt. BUT, not that this is the right thread for it, the minimum requirements need to start being enforced 100% of the time. And before anyone says anything, yeah I'm aware Kent is definitely an offender in the category of letting someone in w/ a sub 20 MCAT because they have a 3.0+ GPA. It's out of hand and the bottom line is that it's one (and probably the most easily changed one) of the things that are keeping podiatry school from being as respected as an MD or DO school. It isn't just students either. The DPM who is likely to become the next KSUCPM president said that same thing almost to the letter when he was interviewed.

I too, have a low MCAT score.

3.64 cGPA/ 3.7 sGPA
18, 15, 17 MCAT in that order (i know, bad). Should I take it one more time this spring? The hassle of preparing for it makes me quiver.
I will be looking to shadow pod. I've done research on podiatry and i am very intrigued!
Research experience in Diabetes Prevention Program and biodensity (1.5 years), Shadowed a D.O. as well.
I was a student athlete and excelled in my sport as I was a 2x All-American, plus an academic All-American.
I'm a certified EMT
I've been awarded multiple awards (NCAA postgraduate scholarship, most outstanding athlete, etc.)
I volunteered in various events.
I am also Married with 2 children (through out my undergrad).
I have a B.S. and i am currently working as a coach in my perspective sport currently.

I too, have a low MCAT score.

3.64 cGPA/ 3.7 sGPA
18, 15, 17 MCAT in that order (i know, bad). Should I take it one more time this spring? The hassle of preparing for it makes me quiver.
I will be looking to shadow pod. I've done research on podiatry and i am very intrigued!
Research experience in Diabetes Prevention Program and biodensity (1.5 years), Shadowed a D.O. as well.
I was a student athlete and excelled in my sport as I was a 2x All-American, plus an academic All-American.
I'm a certified EMT
I've been awarded multiple awards (NCAA postgraduate scholarship, most outstanding athlete, etc.)
I volunteered in various events.
I am also Married with 2 children (through out my undergrad).
I have a B.S. and i am currently working as a coach in my perspective sport currently.
Yes! Retake and if you didn't submit your app yet, make sure you have down that you're retaking! You have a nice GPA. I would get the app done ASAP if you want to get in this cycle. Otherwise, if you can score a 20, I think you're good both cycles (next cycle too).

Members don't see this ad :)
And as an update, I've gotten into every school so far that I've interviewed at with my 20 (NYCPM, Kent, CSPM, AZPOD (waitlist).

Wow! Congrats!
I have similar stats and was wondering if you were asked any questions about your MCAT score?

Wow! Congrats!
I have similar stats and was wondering if you were asked any questions about your MCAT score?
yes, it's basically the only weaknesses in my application, so almost every school wanted to know if i was planning on retaking or what happened during the first try during the interview.

So are you going to retake it?
I'm sure you would qualify for scholarships if you did.

If I were to score a 30 on the mcat, along with my 3.7 sGPA - would I likely get free tuition from one of these schools?

If I were to score a 30 on the mcat, along with my 3.7 sGPA - would I likely get free tuition from one of these schools?
I think the highest scholarships Pod schools offer are half-tuition.

Looking for some advice please. I applied to all 9 schools.

My GPAs are -- Nonscience: 3.5, Science: 3.3, Overall: 3.37
My mcat is 7/6/7 - 20

I only took my Mcat one time. On my application, I indicated that I was planning on retaking in January.
My application is already verified and mailed to all 9 schools.

My question is - do I have a chance to get accepted anywhere with my low mcat and if I do get rejected to all of the 9 schools (hopefully I wont), can I apply again after my Mcat retake in mid January?? How does that work?

Thanks!

Just curious, what were your extracurricular activities/volunteer/shadowing experiences that made up for your MCAT of 20. you did have a decent GPA. thanks!

Last edited:

Change would most likely start with the schools...not the applicants. Perhaps consider writing your school's admission office and telling them you think their standards are too low...rather than telling anonymous poster's on SDN to not apply until their stats are higher.

Just curious, what were your extracurricular activities/volunteer/shadowing experiences that made up for your MCAT of 20. you did have a decent GPA. thanks!
I had around 200-300 hours of shadowing/volunteering, 3 jobs, 2 years of research, Eagle scout, was in honors pre health club, etc. and went to a top 25 university

Did you even study for the MCAT? Im confused how someone who took the pre reqs can do so utterly poor.

Did you even study for the MCAT? Im confused how someone who took the pre reqs can do so utterly poor.
I've actually noticed a decent number of Pod Students have respectable GPAs (3.3-3.7) but don't do so well on the MCAT, I wonder why that is. I mean overall the GPA averages for getting into Pod school are only slightly lower than dental and low-mid tier DO but the differences are in the MCAT.

Well it's a good thing performance on the MCAT has absolutely no correlation with how well of a podiatrist the OP will make. ^_^