Low mcat what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jmoney18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made a mistake, I applied to med school before I took my mcat. My gpa is 3.79 2 years of research, over 300 hours clinical volunteer hours. I just received my mcat score it was 494 the 31st percentile . I have received secondaries from many schools. Should I continue filling out more secondaries and finish this cycle or is there no way with this score I will get in. Other than the mcat score my application is competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're URM, you might be competitive for some DO schools. Otherwise (and maybe even then), a retake is in order. A good comeback will make all the difference.

If you're URM, check out the thread in WAMC about the average MCAT scores for matriculants based on race. That should give you a better idea of the score you need to be considered competitive. Your MCAT score corresponds to a score of 22 in the old scoring system, which is low no matter who you are.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The best advice for you would come from the adcoms on the WAMC forum. That being said, in my humble (pre-med) opinion:

There is not much point continuing with this application cycle. You can't/won't get in with a 494, and you don't have enough time left in this cycle to retake. So don't waste your money/time on secondaries. Withdraw your applications, and spend the next months figuring out what went wrong with your MCAT and fixing the problem. Then retake and regroup for next cycle.

Don't apply yet. The MCAT is a beast. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to learn from what went wrong when you took and rectify the situation. It's not something you could change in 1 or 2 months IMO. You got everything on lockdown except the MCAT. Ball out and you'll be set.