Low PCAT and High GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZakMeister

RPh
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed an interesting trend in many folks where they have pretty low PCAT composites, around 50 or less, but have awesome GPAs again around 3.7 or more. How do these people fare against people with both average GPA (3.0-3.2) and good composites (in the 80s or 90s) ?

Members don't see this ad.

That is something that I too, am curious about.

IMO, it's too difficult to tell based on what you gave us. There's too little information to work with when comparing candidate A and candidate B. What universities/colleges did the candidates attend? Was there an upward or downward trend in GPA? What ECs/volunteer work/research did each candidate undertake? How strong are the LoRs? All these things need to be taken into consideration before saying candidate A is better/worse than candidate B.

I have noticed an interesting trend in many folks where they have pretty low PCAT composites, around 50 or less, but have awesome GPAs again around 3.7 or more. How do these people fare against people with both average GPA (3.0-3.2) and good composites (in the 80s or 90s) ?

They both fare much better than folks who have bad gpa and PCAT. Be proud of your awesome GPA and if you have to, retake your PCAT. Folks who have low gpa and low pcat are between a rock and a hard place.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.85 GPA, a 3.8 science GPA, and a 4.0 math GPA. I got a composite of 27 on my first time taking the PCAT but I am retaking it in November. I didn't study much and I went into the test scared out of my mind. I have volunteered at the hospital for about 3 months now. I also have lots of other volunteer hours. I am a teaching assistant and a tutor for chemistry at my university. I am hoping to get a higher score on my PCAT to better my chances at getting in because my PCAT scores does not show what I am capable of at all. I have only had 3 B+'s(biology 1, intro to philosophy, and chemistry lab 1).

Remember, the PCAT is only a portion of your overall application. If pharmacy schools were only dependent on your exam scores then they wouldn't request any other information about you. If you have a low PCAT, you may want to consider the schools you apply to. You don't want to apply to a school that has a minimum of 70+ if you scored less that that minimum. Don't stress out too much.. A high GPA will show that you have good study habits. I am not part of the admission committee, but I would chose someone with a high GPA over someone with a low GPA/bad study habits and a high PCAT.

Remember, the PCAT is only a portion of your overall application. If pharmacy schools were only dependent on your exam scores then they wouldn't request any other information about you. If you have a low PCAT, you may want to consider the schools you apply to. You don't want to apply to a school that has a minimum of 70+ if you scored less that that minimum. Don't stress out too much.. A high GPA will show that you have good study habits. I am not part of the admission committee, but I would chose someone with a high GPA over someone with a low GPA/bad study habits and a high PCAT.
Yes! I totally agree with you. PCAT is just one part of whole application and high PCAT score do not always guarantee the admission. I have 3.77 cum GPA and 3.86 science for 106 credits but I have 50 comp PCAT score. I have mid 80s for Math and Science but 17 on reading and 7 on verbal because English is my second languege. But guess what,, I GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITATION FROM MY FIRST CHOICE OF SCHOOL. So, my point is do not worry too much because you have low PCAT score. Just give a try to submit the application ASAP. You never know what's going to happen.

I'm sure it varies school to school. But, I had my first interview yesterday afternoon, and I asked as many admissions committee members as I could the question, "What do you put more weight on, GPA or PCAT scores?" They all unanimously said GPA. One event went so far as to say he was an advocate for not even using the PCAT as part of the criteria. He kept saying PCAT is a snapshot and GPA is the whole story. Bummer for me, as I have 2.8 GPA and 90 PCAT, but whatever there's my 2 cents.

I'm sure it varies school to school. But, I had my first interview yesterday afternoon, and I asked as many admissions committee members as I could the question, "What do you put more weight on, GPA or PCAT scores?" They all unanimously said GPA. One event went so far as to say he was an advocate for not even using the PCAT as part of the criteria. He kept saying PCAT is a snapshot and GPA is the whole story. Bummer for me, as I have 2.8 GPA and 90 PCAT, but whatever there's my 2 cents.

My friend, you and I are just about carbon copies. When I applied for pharmacy school, I had a 2.9 GPA and a 91 on the PCAT. I ended up getting into my #1 choice school. One part of the application shows that we're sub-par students; on the flip side, another part shows that we're quite competent.

If you don't mind me asking...what college did you go to for undergrad?

Interesting, can you share which school it's or you can just inbox me if it's private ;) i guess the cheeky combos are high GPA low PCAT, and low GPA very high PCAT (85-90+)

My friend, you and I are just about carbon copies. When I applied for pharmacy school, I had a 2.9 GPA and a 91 on the PCAT. I ended up getting into my #1 choice school. One part of the application shows that we're sub-par students; on the flip side, another part shows that we're quite competent.

If you don't mind me asking...what college did you go to for undergrad?

Hey, I'm kind of on the same boat in terms of gpa, and my PCAT is 84 (will retake in a month). Do you mind sharing the rest of your stats like experience or anything else that you thought made a difference in your admissions process. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)