Low PCAT, High GPA? At NOVA pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

richardparker1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a gpa of 3.8 (pharmcas calculated)
But a very poor PCAT score, composite of 23 D:

Eng is my second language, my scores were

Reading 3,
Verbal 30,
Bio 6 :(
Chem 51
Math 85

I got an invitation for intervew which is 8 days from now and the school says they don't have a minimun PCAT score, however my scores are very low in reading, and but they said they work with diverse populations of students and the fact that I came in U.S. 4 years ago and i havent picked up skills for reading yet apparently sigh

Based on what they said, do i stand chances if i do well on interview to be accepted? Anyone had an interview at NOVA with a low pcat score but a decent gpa and got in??? Let me know!!

Members don't see this ad.

This PCAT thing is hard for us(English as second language) student. Most pharmacy school they consider it. Try to explain on interview time why your GPA& pcat scores are contradict. Good luck !!

Is Richard Parker a foreign name?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also want to apply to NOVA, but I am waiting for the next cycle cause I wont be able to finish my Bachelor in Biology before this upcoming Fall. English is also my second language (been living in Miami for 6 years) yet those scores are too low, specially if you are applying this late!!! You can use that excuse with verbal and reading, but not with Biology

Is Richard Parker a foreign name?

Richard Parker was the name of the Bengal tiger in the novel The Life of Pi that was later adapted to a film version by the same name. The name has also been synonymous with real and fictional shipwrecks. Perhaps the author of the first post felt like his performance on the PCAT was a metaphorical shipwreck?

Reactions: 1 user
Richard Parker was the name of the Bengal tiger in the novel The Life of Pi that was later adapted to a film version by the same name. The name has also been synonymous with real and fictional shipwrecks. Perhaps the author of the first post felt like his performance on the PCAT was a metaphorical shipwreck?
I didn't read it. But if so kudos to him for being so creative and kudos to you for being a literary genius! Lol

I agree with NejixRockS; your Bio score is not really explainable by the language barrier, especially because you score high on the Math section. I would not let that discourage you from interviewing. It is late in the cycle, but it seems like they are willing to give you a chance. I would not make excuses during your interview. Don't blame all your low scores on the PCAT. Figure out what you are going to say...just be honest and say that you did not do well on that section. Good Luck!!

Reading comp is pretty important IMO.

I Agree with other posters. Why was bio so low? That's a red flag.

I didn't read it. But if so kudos to him for being so creative and kudos to you for being a literary genius! Lol

haha... Literary geniuses are the ones who won Pulitzer Prizes or wrote mega best sellers. I'm just the guy found out about the book after seeing the film. :laugh:

haha... Literary geniuses are the ones who won Pulitzer Prizes or wrote mega best sellers. I'm just the guy found out about the book after seeing the film. :laugh:
Take the compliment! Lol

Reading 3,
Verbal 30,
Chem 51
Math 85

I got an invitation for intervew which is 8 days from now and the school says they don't have a minimun PCAT score, however my scores are very low in reading, and but they said they work with diverse populations of students and the fact that I came in U.S. 4 years ago and i havent picked up skills for reading yet apparently sigh

Based on what they said, do i stand chances if i do well on interview to be accepted? Anyone had an interview at NOVA with a low pcat score but a decent gpa and got in??? Let me know!!
If they offered you an interview then they are interested in you as an applicant. I interviewed with them back in October. Just relax, be yourself, and focus on answering the question topics they ask you. Dont deviate from the topic. I would be prepared to justify your reasoning for scoring low in the biology section. Nova loves to play good cop, bad cop thing.

If they offered you an interview then they are interested in you as an applicant. I interviewed with them back in October. Just relax, be yourself, and focus on answering the question topics they ask you. Dont deviate from the topic. I would be prepared to justify your reasoning for scoring low in the biology section. Nova loves to play good cop, bad cop thing.

Yes, i really don't have an excuse for biology, i just hadn't been a great bio student ever. I have expertise in math and chemistry but not bio just not my thing. Should I expalin my poor scores on reading and Bio EVEN IF they don't ask me about my low scores? Cos one of my friend went to interview with a score of 34 and got accepted a week ago and the Interview comittee didnt ask her ANYTHING bout her poor PCAT score.

Yes, i really don't have an excuse for biology, i just hadn't been a great bio student ever. I have expertise in math and chemistry but not bio just not my thing. Should I expalin my poor scores on reading and Bio EVEN IF they don't ask me about my low scores? Cos one of my friend went to interview with a score of 34 and got accepted a week ago and the Interview comittee didnt ask her ANYTHING bout her poor PCAT score.

If they dont ask you, u dont have to talk about it!!! it will only hurt you. NOVA is even accepting 30s ? :( Its my top choice school (because of location), but I have been told by my pre-health advisors that they require a minimum 55% composite.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they dont ask you, u dont have to talk about it!!! it will only hurt you. NOVA is even accepting 30s ? :( Its my top choice school (because of location), but I have been told by my pre-health advisors that they require a minimum 55% composite.
Yeah ! Well I even talked to a pharmacy student arrive coordinator and she told me "there's no minimum at nova"
But which location are you willing to go to? Cos mines in Puerto Rico

Yeah ! Well I even talked to a pharmacy student arrive coordinator and she told me "there's no minimum at nova"
But which location are you willing to go to? Cos mines in Puerto Rico
main campus in south florida (Fort Lauderdale)

Reading 3,
Verbal 30,
Chem 51
Math 85

Retake it, use Kaplan.

Retake it, use Kaplan.
Kaplan is horrible. Dr Collins used is the way to go. I got a packet off amazon for 80 bucks when I was taking the PCAT. It's nice and concise and tells you exactly what concepts you need to know.

But if you get accepted there is no need to retake it. Unless they make a conditional agreement such as "you need to retake and get 50" or something like that.

If they dont ask you, then do not mention anything. Do not deviate from their questions. Try to stay on topic on the subject they ask you about.

If they dont ask you, then do not mention anything. Do not deviate from their questions. Try to stay on topic on the subject they ask you about.

I was wondering what should i say to their interview question "what is pharmacy to you?"

Its tomorrow and im nervous eh

I have my interview tomorrow and i was wondering if some of you guys can give me good pointers or answers for the following possible questions:
What is pharmacy?? (mainly i need help on, dont know if i should say a definition or what)

Whats the situation of pharmacy industry to you right now?

And when they ask me if i have any questions for them, what are some posssible questions i can ask them?
Is it rude if i asked them "why did you pick pharmacy as your major?" cos i know they will ask me that for sure

I have my interview tomorrow and i was wondering if some of you guys can give me good pointers or answers for the following possible questions:
What is pharmacy?? (mainly i need help on, dont know if i should say a definition or what)

Whats the situation of pharmacy industry to you right now?

And when they ask me if i have any questions for them, what are some posssible questions i can ask them?
Is it rude if i asked them "why did you pick pharmacy as your major?" cos i know they will ask me that for sure

Hi, I am independent pharmacy owner and all I can tell you is the most important thing is costumer service.. This is what i look at when hiring someone at my pharmacy.

Alexandria, VA 22309

My interview is tomorrow and i was wondering if It's fine if i wear black slacks, shoes, a white button down shirt and a black tie?

OR should i add a black coat too and go all out? Its hot down here in florida so im thinking if it is weird if i go all out. HELLP!!! im nervous!

Wear a complete suit. You'll be underdressed in just a shirt and tie.

Wear a complete suit. You'll be underdressed in just a shirt and tie.

complete suit is such a pain in the *** down here in south Florida. Its freaking hot even on winter lol... But I guess we have no choice :(

I'm in FL too. Your birthday suit might be a cooler option.

Last edited:
I just had my interview yesterday. They asked a lot of questions.... They didn't ask me bout my poor reading or bio score, but they asked me if I could improve in any areas where would it be in. Smh. The decision will be sent to us within 3-4weeks.

did you get in Richard?
sorry i am almost a year late because i forgot my ID for SDN but yes, I did got in and finished my first year in pharmacy school with flying colors!!! My grade point average was 90.43 and many of my classmates struggled to even have higher than 80!

It was not easy, the first year, but with hard work anything is possible. I was appreciative to NSU and God for permitting me with this huge opportunity and worked hard.. For now, i'm literally bumming on computer all day in the summer to give my brain a break, fishing, bowling, and of course working as an intern for CVS.

Please let me know if I can help you guys in any way. Best Wishes!

sorry i am almost a year late because i forgot my ID for SDN but yes, I did got in and finished my first year in pharmacy school with flying colors!!! My grade point average was 90.43 and many of my classmates struggled to even have higher than 80!

It was not easy, the first year, but with hard work anything is possible. I was appreciative to NSU and God for permitting me with this huge opportunity and worked hard.. For now, i'm literally bumming on computer all day in the summer to give my brain a break, fishing, bowling, and of course working as an intern for CVS.

Please let me know if I can help you guys in any way. Best Wishes![/QUdRichar

Hi, Richard. I want you to give me some info. I'm in the same boat as you were. Can you?