low post bacc gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saxyukie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone have gotten into medical school with a mediocre postbacc gpa (around 3.5). I've been reading threads of people with low undergrad grades, but 4.0 post bacc, but is there anyone out there who is like me, with a low undergrad gpa (around 3.1) and an average post bacc gpa (3.5). I would like to know my chances with these numbers. Someone please help? :)

Members don't see this ad.

saxyukie said:
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone have gotten into medical school with a mediocre postbacc gpa (around 3.5). I've been reading threads of people with low undergrad grades, but 4.0 post bacc, but is there anyone out there who is like me, with a low undergrad gpa (around 3.1) and an average post bacc gpa (3.5). I would like to know my chances with these numbers. Someone please help? :)

No one can tell you your chances with only one piece of your application. Your overall GPA is well below average, so whether you can get in or not is going to depend, in a big way, on the rest of your application.

saxyukie said:
Hi,

Hi, I wouldn't worry too much, as long as the rest of your application is great. The schools I'm looking at consider grades (or evaluations depending on the school) and MCAT score as 50% of your application. The rest is extracurricular stuff like volunteering, experience..

Members don't see this ad :)
M2Oer said:
Hi, I wouldn't worry too much, as long as the rest of your application is great. The schools I'm looking at consider grades (or evaluations depending on the school) and MCAT score as 50% of your application. The rest is extracurricular stuff like volunteering, experience..

There is no fixed percentage across the board that schools use for the numerical stats. I wouldn't put too much stake in a rigid 50% rule of thumb.
To answer the OPs question, as other posters have suggested, it will depend on your entire application, but in general, if you are using postbac to rehabilitate a below average undergraduate GPA and prove a current ability to handle the sciences, you want to get "mostly A's". If you fall shy of this mark, you are going to need other strengths in your app to bring you back up.

I don't know where your post-bac was....but at OU-COM you would have been directly admitted into medical school with a 3.0. Not really sure whether you want to do MD or DO but I'm sure that LECOM and OUCOM would be excited with those postbac scores becuase they have postbac programs. My post bac GPA was lower than that and I got into VCOM...they just like to see that you can master the curriculum and that you did that extra step to help your undergrad or post graduate GPA.

i know someone who had a 3.6 and a 26 mcat and got into school...3.5 is not that way off. better that you improved, than tanked. call the schools you want to apply to and don't give up.

GPA is not the only factor that schools look for. Every individual is unique and no one can really tell you whether or not your GPA is ok. Call the schools up and look for the average GPA's for the school. Same goes for MCAT scores. I have seen so many people being discouraged because they were told by others that their MCAT/GPA were not high enough. At times it is better to do your own research and just apply.