Low PS score, what are my chances at UNC (IS)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarolinaGirl33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT scores back and I made VR 11 PS 9 BS 12 for a total of 32. My cGPA is 3.75 and my sGPA is 3.7. My EC's are decent and I just accepted a position as a research technician at Dana-Farber, so hopefully that'll boost my application as well.

I was hoping to apply in-state to UNC, where the average scores are 11, 11, 11 (total 33). Does a PS score in the single digits mean I don't have a shot at UNC anymore?

I've never made below a 10 on practice exams for PS, but simply ran out of time with the calculations. Should I retake the exam?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

no, you'll be fine. are you applying next cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you need to retake. Plenty of people get accepted to decent schools with even a 8 PS score. You will be fine. Just make sure you submit early, broadly and be smart when deciding your school list. Apply to atleast 10 MD schools (I recommend 15) and make sure very few of those schools are public schools where you will be selected against because you are an OOS applicant. For example, West Virginia University School of Medicine will pick a 26 MCAT OOS applicant over you because he/she has strong ties to W Va. So be smart when applying. Also make sure you're not applying to a ton of high ranked schools. The majority of your schools need to be achievable based on your stats, including plenty of safety schools.

Submit your AMCAS in early June and start pre-writing your secondaries from early June. Submit your secondaries within a week of receiving the secondary invite. Make sure your app is on top of the pile. Stay positive, stay happy...you have a high chance of receiving an acceptance.

Thanks for all the good advice! :)

But can anyone speak specifically about my chances at UNC?

Contact the admissions office if you want specific opinions about your chances at UNC; Any feedback that's provided here is pure conjecture.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is PS usually the section weighted the least by medical school? I spoke to an adcom at one of my state schools who stated that, unless maybe he meant it specifically for his school?