low SAT & high GPA..........HELP!!!!

bbo0429

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm a senior in high school,Arizona, going to take SAT 1 exam in this October.
(I never took one :( so I have to do extremly well)

I SHOULD attend University of Arizona for Pharmacy.
I'm sure they are really competitive and picky for prepharmacy students .. I will probably get really low SAT score(like around 1200~1400). My GPA is over 4.0, I can be 4.2 after I graduate.
I did some activities like volunteering in hospital, retirement center, church & member of orchestra, NHS member, etc.

Do you think I can be accepted to U of A for prepharmacy???
It is really important to me!!
I'm really stressful about my SAT score..... so please help me :(

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not familiar with how all undergrads work, but can't you just declare yourself "pre-pharmacy"? At least at my undergrad there was no requirements for being pre-anything.

Secondly, why are you assuming that your SAT won't be good? You have a whole month to get ready for it. So, don't be negative about it when it hasn't happened yet, put your gameface on and start preparing for it.

Wow, talk about low self confidence!! :rolleyes:

If you have a GPA that high, you should have NO trouble getting at least a 1600 on the SAT. I got an 1800 and the only resource I used was Up Your Score: The Underground Guide to the SAT (2009-2010 version). It's an awesome book and it's a cinch to read, it's not boring like the real Kaplan books are. It was written by kids who aced the test, and it's basically all the tricks and strategies you can use to boost your scores and manage your time, which is a huge aspect of the test.

So get the book, read it, go over some basic math and grammar rules, take a deep breath, and take the test. Chances are, you'll do a ton better than you expect!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the dude above.

Take it again and chill out, I don't know UA's stats, but I'm pretty sure the pharmacy school won't turn you away because of your SAT score...

Try taking the ACT too.

I am also going to be a senior in high school this year in Arizona. Throughout high school I have taken all honors and AP I possible could only getting one B my first semester of AP chem. My GPA with my HONORS points is like 4.67 or higher. I am a really nervous test taker and therefor did poorly on the SAT, as well as my two AP tests (granted AP chem ap test was impossible). 1600 on the SAT, 1 on AP Chem test and 3 On Ap Language. Planning on retaking AP language cause I know I could pull a 5. I want to be a Pediatric Oncologist/Hemotologist or a Pediatric Thoracic/cardiologist surgeon. I LOVE kids and am the hardest most determined person I know. I have high hopes for college but with my SAT score have no idea how I would get in... Northwestern would be my number :) But I am also considersing a program where I could go to a school, maintain a certain GPA, and automatically be accepted into their medical program. What do you think about my school record conflicting with my dreams?

a month is plenty of time to at least get a 1750-1800 score on SATs

even if u got accepted into a BS/MD program there is still no "automatic" acceptance anywhere ... the most there is are like seats that are separated n kept "on hold" for the institutions own undergrads...my advice is to just try and take your SATs again but in all honestly high school has little to do with your pre-med and med school aspirations
obviously exposure to gen chem n orgo n physics will make those classes in college easier for u but thats about it
you can go anywhere n major in anything to be pre-med you just need to keep an amazing gpa, great mcat scores, get involved in community/volunteer/student organizations/research/summer med programs and have a passion for medicine
unfortunately a lot of people get caught up with what they accomplished in high school and forget how much more important maintain all that in college is, just a heads up

Good Luck with everything :D

I am also going to be a senior in high school this year in Arizona. Throughout high school I have taken all honors and AP I possible could only getting one B my first semester of AP chem. My GPA with my HONORS points is like 4.67 or higher. I am a really nervous test taker and therefor did poorly on the SAT, as well as my two AP tests (granted AP chem ap test was impossible). 1600 on the SAT, 1 on AP Chem test and 3 On Ap Language. Planning on retaking AP language cause I know I could pull a 5. I want to be a Pediatric Oncologist/Hemotologist or a Pediatric Thoracic/cardiologist surgeon. I LOVE kids and am the hardest most determined person I know. I have high hopes for college but with my SAT score have no idea how I would get in... Northwestern would be my number :) But I am also considersing a program where I could go to a school, maintain a certain GPA, and automatically be accepted into their medical program. What do you think about my school record conflicting with my dreams?

The only thing holding you back is your SAT score (which is average by national standards), which isn't as abysmal as you might think. Pick up the Official SAT Study Guide and read it cover to cover. I guarantee that your score will go up at least a couple hundred points if you skim through those practice tests in the back. Lastly, as CScull mentioned, take the ACT too. Good :luck:!