Low score on step 1. Can I retake it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daydreamer9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is redundant but I didn't get a chance to go through all of the threads. I'm currently in year II of med school, but as I gear up for the boards I just had a question that no one seems to have the answer to.

If I get a low score on step 1 am I, or am I not, allowed to retake the exam? My whole life has been like this, I usually bomb any standardized exam the first time, but the second time I hit the 90+ percentiles. So this is really freaking me out since half the people have told me I can, and half have told me I can't! Thanks a lot.

:(

Members don't see this ad.

Daydreamer9 said:
Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is redundant but I didn't get a chance to go through all of the threads. I'm currently in year II of med school, but as I gear up for the boards I just had a question that no one seems to have the answer to.

If I get a low score on step 1 am I, or am I not, allowed to retake the exam? My whole life has been like this, I usually bomb any standardized exam the first time, but the second time I hit the 90+ percentiles. So this is really freaking me out since half the people have told me I can, and half have told me I can't! Thanks a lot.

You cannot retake the exam. However, if you do poorly on Step 1, you can get in the "90th percentile in Step 2".

Later.

Daydreamer9 said:
Hey everyone,

According to this forum, a poor score can still be in the 90+th percentile.

Daydreamer9 said:

In that case, make sure you bomb hard enough to fail the first time....then you can take it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boris Badenov said:
In that case, make sure you bomb hard enough to fail the first time....then you can take it again.

So which is better then? To pass with a low score, or to fail the first time and have a much better score on the second?

You guys are so helpful, thanks a lot! :)

While I can't answer that question, I can tell you that you'll probably pass the first time around (which is a good thing), so try to make an effort to buck your pattern of bombing the first time around.

After you've taken a couple assessments, done the released questions, and gone through Qbank, you should be familiar enough with everything come test day. Don't sweat it.

Daydreamer9 said:
So which is better then? To pass with a low score, or to fail the first time and have a much better score on the second?

You guys are so helpful, thanks a lot! :)

Hi there,
You may NOT re-take USMLE Step I unless you fail the exam. Failing this exam can just about put you out of the running for a competitive residency unless you can prove that your testing circumstances were less than optional (virtually impossible).

USMLE is not reported in percentiles. There is a three digit score and a two digit score. For example about a three-digit score of about 182 is the minimum passing score which is given a two-digit score of 75. This is not a percentile but a two-digit score. (The three-digit score to pass this exam changes from year to year and has been increasing). The mean score among US grads is about 215-220 which is far above the minimum passing score.

If you bomb on USMLE Step I, you can make a good effort to do better on USMLE Step II but Step I is the great determining factor so do not screw up on this exam. It can really tank your residency application if you want to match in a competitive residency.

Good luck
njbmd :)

Zweihander said:
Do you know what scores correlate with what percentiles?

It will vary from year to year. I've heard that 2005's average was 217 with a SD of 23; so a score of 240 will put you in the top 16% or so.

idq1i said:
Do you even know if the distribution is normal?
No idea, although I suspect that this would likely change from year to year. Supposedly, the reason they did away with percentile reporting is because a 230 in 2000 is totally equivalent to a 230 in 2005. However, it is possible for the same score to carry a different percentile in different years, and so the test administrators believe that percentile is irrelevant and potentially misleading for this test. That said, I would have no idea how to correlate a given score with a percentile in any case. :oops:

Daydreamer9 said:
So this is really freaking me out since half the people have told me I can, and half have told me I can't! Thanks a lot.

I guess that depends how low your Step I score was. ;)

Daydreamer9 said:
Hey everyone,

If you "Pass" the exam, NO RETAKES no matter how close to "Fail" you get.

If you fail the exam, you may RETAKE until you pass (at this point you may not retake) or until your school says you are no longer eligible to continue.

Hope this helps.