MD Low stats, need to pare down List, VA Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Virginian_Premed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.69
sGPA: 3.51
MCAT: 33 (11/11/11) --> (Taken 2x, first score low 20's, then I found SN2ed!!)

EC's strong & unique, traveled to different countries, volunteered clinical and non-clinical, HIV Counselor, Hospital Volunteer, President/Founder of a few clubs, have 2 publications, did around 3 solid years of research, science & non-science, strong letters of recommendation, and an upward trend in GPA. Graduated in December, working as a Science Teacher for AmeriCorps City Year in Washington D.C. for a year starting this September. Currently pursuing a Master's in Epidemiology, and also work as a TA in the department of Public Health at my alma mater.

School list: I need to pare this down to 25, preferably 20 schools. I just don't have the money to be able to apply to 30 schools, and even 25 is stretching it. If you think there are any schools that are not congruous with my stats, let me know. If you think I left some out, I'd appreciate being notified of that also.

• New York Medical College
  • Virginia Commonwealth University
  • University of Virginia
  • Eastern Virginia Medical School
  • Virginia Tech Carillion
  • Oakland Beaumont
  • Tulane
  • Howard
  • George Washington
  • Georgetown
  • Illinois
  • University of South Florida
  • Drexel
  • Miami
  • Vermont
  • Tufts
  • Einstein
  • Emory
  • Wake Forest
  • Rush
  • Franklin
  • Boston
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • Hofstra
  • Albany
  • Penn State
  • Temple
  • Saint Louis
  • Jefferson
  • Florida Atlantic
  • Frank H. Netter

Thanks for the help y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

Howard is for URMs. If you're a URM with those stats, you're fine for mid-tier MDs. If you're not a URM, nix it. I would ditch Howard, Illinois, USF, Penn State, and Florida Atlantic.

Howard is for URMs. If you're a URM with those stats, you're fine for mid-tier MDs. If you're not a URM, nix it. I would ditch Howard, Illinois, USF, Penn State, and Florida Atlantic.
I'm not URM...I thought Penn State was OOS friendly? My shot at Einstein seems a lot more far fetched than Penn, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
You could eliminate Illinois, Florida Atlantic, South Florida and Miami since they give preference to state residents.Emory is a reach with your stats and Howard accepts mainly URM. That would leave you with 25 schools and you should receive several interviews from those schools.

I would not eliminate research schools like Einstein or Emory. You're within the 10th percentile for both (probably the 25th, even) and you are a research-heavy applicant with 2 publications. Instead, I'd ditch the OOS schools and either of the Georges, which both have low success rates due to the huge numbers of apps.

I think it would be a mistake to just try to go for the schools with the lowest stats and disregard the mission. The publications are what make you stand out: your app is pretty cookie cutter otherwise.

I agree with @Doug Underhill (hope that's not your real name?).

Going for schools just for stats will be the MO for most students with low stats, why not read into the mission?

P.S. Virginia is for Lovers!!