Low step 1 but want General Surgery

Discussion in 'Kaplan Medical USMLE Forum' started by Joseferrw80, Dec 6, 2010.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Joseferrw80

Joseferrw80

MD/PhD Student
    So I didn't do so well on Step 1, (196/79). i'm an IMG looking for general surgery but I am very concern about my score on my step 1. I would ideally like to go to a large city, in an academic institution. Now I'm studing for step 2. Any advice, what chances i have, i want to be realistic? I appreciate any constructive criticism and also straightforwardness. Thanks.
  2. KapFriend

KapFriend

Academic Administration
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hello Joseferrw80,

General Surgery is competitive, and basically, all competitive programs use similar selection criteria, though some are stricter than others. In order to strengthen your application, you want to get a very good score on Step 2. It sounds like you'll have both Step 1 and Step 2 CK scores in plenty of time to apply to programs. You might consider getting CS out of the way sooner than later. Test dates become more difficult to attain as the year goes on, and you'll have less anxiety knowing you passed when you apply. Some maintain that having Step 3 out of the way is beneficial.

You want to have done some type of US based clinical experience, such as an externship, which should garner some good LoRs. Sometimes, especially at university affiliated programs, having some research experience helps. And last but not least, make a positive impression during your interview.

When researching programs, look carefully at their requirements. Some programs have minimum score requirements.

Good luck on Step 2!
  3. Joseferrw80

Joseferrw80

MD/PhD Student
    thank you very much for your advice. It really helped me.
  4. KapFriend

KapFriend

Academic Administration
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    We are happy to help anytime! If you would like study tips, please let us know.