Low Undergrad GPA, 3.5 Grad GP- Post Bacc Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hkr09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-

I have a low undegrad GPA (2.8) from a top 100 school and an okay Master's GPA (3.5 with room for upward mobility). I'm interested in applying for a post bacc. I received my BA in PUblic Health and I'm getting my MPH (focusing on Epi) right now. In addition to my crummy GPAs I have a large amount of experience in health. I am working with a pretty well known public health organization, I've been on a public health service trip focusing on AIDS care for homeless youth, I've competed in a public health case competition in my regional area, and I'm going to Africa this summer to work with a hospital on TB prevention within a large AIDS population. I had a horrible GPA in undergrad because of a a few personal things that went on during my time at my university. My grad GPA is only okay because I have been focusing on building my resume in addition to taking a full-time course load (12 credit hours). Earlier this year, I decided I want to go to medical school. I'm interested in a post bacc. because I really like the guidance that most of these programs offer, versus just taking the prerequisites and the MCAT. NYU and Bryn Mawr both have programs that sound like they have great advisers and I'm hoping to enroll in a program similar to those. Any advice on post-baccs that I should apply to? Has anyone else been in this situation? I only want to apply to programs that have linkages. Has anyone been accepted to NYU or Bryn Mawr with not a great GPA?

Thanks- H

Members don't see this ad.

Undergrad GPA is what matters, and unfortunately yours is too low to be looking at competitive postbacs. They want the squeaky clean kids. Grad work, particularly with no hard science background, doesn't fix things.

If med school is what you want, you need a math & science foundation before you start the prereqs, because the prereqs are going to be by far the hardest classes you've ever taken. And you have to get A's. And then med school is harder. I strongly suggest doing a 2nd bachelors in a science, so that you get a good foundation and enough additional time in undergrad to positively affect your undergrad GPA so you have a chance of doing well on the MCAT and a chance of MD admission.

I also suggest finding out what a DO is, and making friends with it.

Best of luck to you.

Undergrad GPA is what matters, and unfortunately yours is too low to be looking at competitive postbacs. They want the squeaky clean kids. Grad work, particularly with no hard science background, doesn't fix things.

If med school is what you want, you need a math & science foundation before you start the prereqs, because the prereqs are going to be by far the hardest classes you've ever taken. And you have to get A's. And then med school is harder. I strongly suggest doing a 2nd bachelors in a science, so that you get a good foundation and enough additional time in undergrad to positively affect your undergrad GPA so you have a chance of doing well on the MCAT and a chance of MD admission.

I also suggest finding out what a DO is, and making friends with it.

Best of luck to you.

The prereqs would be tough depending on the institution you take your prereqs at. They are not the most difficult courses ever in my honest opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, not the most difficult courses ever, didn't say that. If the OP was coming from a 2.8 in engineering instead of a 2.8 in public health, different story.

There were a lot of social factors that impacted my undergrad GPA. It was not because I was not capable of doing the work. My GRE and SAT scores are very high. Do you think that explaining that in a personal statement may help?

Nope. Sorry. You have to produce a solid multi-year undergrad academic performance before any formal postbac will have any interest. You're not getting into an MD linkage program. You may have some luck with formal postbacs at DO schools.

Hi-

I have a low undegrad GPA (2.8) from a top 100 school and an okay Master's GPA (3.5 with room for upward mobility). I'm interested in applying for a post bacc. I received my BA in PUblic Health and I'm getting my MPH (focusing on Epi) right now. In addition to my crummy GPAs I have a large amount of experience in health. I am working with a pretty well known public health organization, I've been on a public health service trip focusing on AIDS care for homeless youth, I've competed in a public health case competition in my regional area, and I'm going to Africa this summer to work with a hospital on TB prevention within a large AIDS population. I had a horrible GPA in undergrad because of a a few personal things that went on during my time at my university. My grad GPA is only okay because I have been focusing on building my resume in addition to taking a full-time course load (12 credit hours). Earlier this year, I decided I want to go to medical school. I'm interested in a post bacc. because I really like the guidance that most of these programs offer, versus just taking the prerequisites and the MCAT. NYU and Bryn Mawr both have programs that sound like they have great advisers and I'm hoping to enroll in a program similar to those. Any advice on post-baccs that I should apply to? Has anyone else been in this situation? I only want to apply to programs that have linkages. Has anyone been accepted to NYU or Bryn Mawr with not a great GPA?

Thanks- H

I had a 2.82 undergraduate GPA with a high 20 MCAT score, and I got into one of the postbac/MSc programs at Drexel University so don't be discouraged. However, I do agree (somewhat) with Dr. Midlife. You may need to explore SMP or postbac programs at DO schools. They may give you the best chances to directly matriculate into the associated medical school.