low undergrad gpa, high grad gpa, any chance of med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babbler2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a very low undergrad GPA of a 2.9 because I rushed my way through college and finished in 3 years. I just wanted to finish and start working. I worked for a year in a pharmaceutical company and now I am in a masters program for a masters in biomedical sciences. I have a 3.9 gpa so far. I am taking an mcat class at kaplan. I plan on taking the mcats in may or so. I'm hoping for a 32+. I should be finished with the program in the fall of 2009. Do I even have a chance of getting into med school? Should I apply in june of '09 or should I finish my masters first and apply? I'm volunteering at a hospital right now and trying to become a certified EMT. I don't have any research experience, but I was hoping to do an independent research for credit at school. Will that count as research experience? I really don't know what to do and as of right now, I feel hopeless. Please give me any advice or feedback whether it's positive or negative. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

2.9 is going to kill your application almost everywhere, even with a great MCAT score to compensate (ie 37+). 32 wont cut it.

Improve your GPA by doing a post bacc that consists of all UD undergraduate science courses, DO NOT TAKE GRADUATE courses. For the most part grad courses are not on the same standards as undergrad classes and are thus discounted at most places, you need to do more undergrad work ebcause that is the GPA they care about. Good luck.

I have a very low undergrad GPA of a 2.9 because I rushed my way through college and finished in 3 years. I just wanted to finish and start working. I worked for a year in a pharmaceutical company and now I am in a masters program for a masters in biomedical sciences. I have a 3.9 gpa so far. I am taking an mcat class at kaplan. I plan on taking the mcats in may or so. I'm hoping for a 32+. I should be finished with the program in the fall of 2009. Do I even have a chance of getting into med school? Should I apply in june of '09 or should I finish my masters first and apply? I'm volunteering at a hospital right now and trying to become a certified EMT. I don't have any research experience, but I was hoping to do an independent research for credit at school. Will that count as research experience? I really don't know what to do and as of right now, I feel hopeless. Please give me any advice or feedback whether it's positive or negative. Thanks!
is this an SMP?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a very low undergrad GPA of a 2.9

I am in a masters program for a masters in biomedical sciences. I have a 3.9 gpa so far.

1) Do I even have a chance of getting into med school?

2) Should I apply in june of '09 or should I finish my masters first and apply?

3) I don't have any research experience, but I was hoping to do an independent research for credit at school. Will that count as research experience?

1) You do have a chance at getting into a med school. Whether you can get into an allopathic (MD) med school or osteopathic (DO) med school depends on the work you're willing to put into the process. See below.

2) I suggest that you finish the masters program before applying so you have a transcript showing sustained excellent grades, hopefully including many upper-level science classes. I don't know what your master of biomedical science includes, but I'm assuming it's not an SMP (Special Masters Program) as I'm under the impression that you need an MCAT score to get into those.

3) Having a research experience will increase the number of schools willing to consider you. Taking a research class for credit will certainly count as research. A semester would be the minimum you should have. two semesters, or a year is better. Two years would be outstanding.

Getting back to a more detailed answer for #1: To get into an MD med school, you will, in general, be judged primarily by your undergrad GPA and MCAT, before the redeeming qualities of your extracurriculars are considered. Your undergrad GPA is too low for all MD schools. After finishing the masters, you would need to do post-baccalareate work by taking undergrad classes, probably four semesters worth, of straight A classes, including lots of upper-level science classes, and retaking prerequisites for which you got a C or lower. With 60 hours of 4.0 GPA, you'd raise your 2.9 to a 3.27. If you can get an MCAT of 34+, with the steep upward grade trend, you'd have a chance of acceptance at an MD school. Keep in mind that the mean GPA for MD acceptees is 3.6.

To get into an osteopathic (DO) med school, you should still finish the masters degree, then retake the prerequisite classes you got a C or lower in, before taking the MCAT. The DO application service will replace any retaken grade on your transcript, helping your GPA to rise faster. (MD schools average the two together.) Maybe you could complete this in 1-2 semesters, going part time, depending on how much redemption you need to do. Some DO schools accept applications with an undergrad GPA of 2.75, and many accept a 3.0. The mean MCAT for DO schools is 24. DO schools have the reputation of looking at the entire application, not just the numbers, so great ECs can help you. If your masters work includes a lot of upper-level science, which build on the prerequisites, maybe you would be considered without additional undergrad work. I don't know, but consider asking about this on the Pre-Osteopathic "What are my chances?" thread at:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=514416

Last edited:
2.9 is going to kill your application almost everywhere, even with a great MCAT score to compensate (ie 37+). 32 wont cut it.

Improve your GPA by doing a post bacc that consists of all UD undergraduate science courses, DO NOT TAKE GRADUATE courses. For the most part grad courses are not on the same standards as undergrad classes and are thus discounted at most places, you need to do more undergrad work ebcause that is the GPA they care about. Good luck.

What?

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, what, and where, is a Masters in the Biomedical sciences? Is that a special masters program? If so, yes you can get in. If not, well you can apply (miracles happen) but I'd start looking at special masters programs. Look at the stickies on SDNs postbac forum for more information.

http://services.aamc.org/postbac/ViewProg.cfm?id=65&PROG_NAME=Masters%20in%20Biomedical%20Sciences&PROG_INST=UMDNJ%2C%20Graduate%20School%20of%20Biomedical%20Sciences

thats the description they have of the program on the aamc site

http://www.umdnj.edu/gsbsnweb/academic_programs/masters_programs.htm

this is the program's website that i am in

it's all upper level science classes. you are allowed to take up to 2 medical courses. the curriculum consists of cell bio, mol. bio/biochem, systems physio, pharmacology, genetics, lab rotations, seminars, independent reserach, upper level phd courses. it's a 30 credit program. you can do a non-thesis or thesis route. i'm still debating whether or not to do a thesis. if i do a thesis, it would take me 2 years to complete the program. i'm trying to find a part time research job at the children's hospital of philadelphia. i was thinking of applying to the postbac program at rutgers combined with umdnj since it's close to where i live and umdnj would be my top choice (if i had a choice...) i just need some advice on what to do, if i'm on the right path, how to improve my chances, how to balance doing all this stuff without going crazy? thanks!

hey, i am in the same situation and in the same school. I wanted to know how did it go with the applications and which schools consider your application.
Thank you!!!

for anyone looking at this post in 2017, i think either this person had it wrong or the standards have changed. from what i've heard from several people on admissions boards at dental schools and medical schools, masters programs are MUCH better than an undergrad post bacc. The reason being is masters programs are a predictor of how well you will perform at a masters level (i.e. dental or medical school).

Reactions: 1 user
for anyone looking at this post in 2017, i think either this person had it wrong or the standards have changed. from what i've heard from several people on admissions boards at dental schools and medical schools, masters programs are MUCH better than an undergrad post bacc. The reason being is masters programs are a predictor of how well you will perform at a masters level (i.e. dental or medical school).
To quote our illustrious Tweeter in Chief...WRONG!

I think dpt227 meant Special Masters Program. I'm pretty sure a SMP with linkage is way better than a DIY postbac.
Maybe...but that's the way I took it.

Masters typically do not help. SMP, if you do well, can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.