low verbal score anyone???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applying

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took the april MCATs- got a 22. so i took the august MCATs and got a 27, but with a 7 in verbal (9 in PS, 11 BS, and R in writing). my advisor says I am not receiving any interviews yet because of this low verbal score, and that I will receive interviews in the spring.
My question is: has anyone out there been interviewed or even accepted with that low of a verbal score????

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I also got a 7 in verbal, I received 2 interviews and one acceptance...however, and I'm not sure if this offset it, I had an undergraduate GPA of 3.67, and I have a master's degree in Epidemiology with a 4.0 GPA. That could have made admissions committees overlook the low verbal score. Also, I think several schools just completely screened me out because of the score (like my instant rejection to Mayo). Does anyone else on the board who is still undergraduate have interviews and/or acceptances with a low verbal score? By the way, how did you do on the writing sample? I often heard that a good score in this section can somewhat offset a low verbal score.

applying: i have the same scores as you do, so dont worry about your 7; it's not great, but it can get the job done. i did have 3 interviews so far.

Joseph Reses : ur right about some of the schools. i've called a few and it feels like they dont want to give me the bad news so they just say your app has been reviewed, on hol, or is being reviewed as we speak.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received a 7 in verbal.... composite of a 31... and have had 4 interviews and three acceptances. It can be done.... I still think it is early in the process with all the AMCAS issues....

I got a 6 on my verbal test with double digits on the sciences and a good score on the writing test....I took the MCAT in august and I am a URM..but no love from any school yet...as a matter of fact I already got denied by UCSF and Georgetown...That's why I am planning on taking the MCAT again....we'll see how it goes next year...

Hey Dr. Don, don't give up yet,unless those are the only schools you've applied to! There's still plenty of time to get an acceptance.

Joe

Definately don't give up!
I got a 7 on verbal (Q) and have 3 acceptances. Just blow them away on the interview. You'll be fine!

when i first got my 7 i thought that i didnt stand a chance this year. but i went for it anyway. and now after 3 interviews, i am convinced that a 7 is a ok score for schools. most of the ppl that interviewed me asked about the 7, but they seem not to care bec they believe that other sections are more important. one of them evern told me that i dont even know why this section is on the test. anyway, it all depends on getting your foot in the door by getting that interview letter. after that, it's all up to you.

thanks joseph and everyone else for their input....actually I'm still waiting for the other 20 schools I applied to...so we'll see, but just in case it doesn't go well I want to start the application process early next year so that in that way I will find out about any acceptances to med school in december (like most of you have already), so that's why I want to prepare for the April 2002 MCAT....I definitely don't want to take it in August...I want to enjoy my SUMMER!!!! Now if I get in before April, then I guess all the studying that I'll do will just be a refresher...no biggy, I already graduated so I work full time now. It's all good..take care people and good luck in the interviews!
DON

I can relate! I took the April MCAT and was devastated with my results of a 28. I had 11 BS 10 PS 7V, I thought I was doomed. I decided to go ahead and apply because I have a strong application with a science GPA of 3.8. I have received 8 interviews with one acceptance and one waitlist. Still waiting to hear from 5 of the school and not yet interview for the last. So it can be done with the dreaded 7.

Congrats josUCD and Nikki! That's impressive... Also, Dr. Don, it sounds like you've gotten very solid scores. I personally think schools really want their applicants to do really well in the sciences (which you did) since that's what you'll be studying. I'm sure you'll get in... You also said you're URM, so I predict next month you'll be flooded with interviews. Plus, if you want, I'll trade my verbal score for your PS score :p

My friend got a 6...count it, a 6 on a section and has two acceptances thus far.

Remember: The TOTAL Applicant!!

Good luck and knock em off their feet!

a 6? am i reading ur post right? what did she get in her other sections?

that's great! down witht he verbal!