Lower GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspalaceburns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a cGPA of 3.67 and a sGPA of 3.48. The reason that this is so low is because this past semester I have had an illness in the family that took alot of time away from school, and this happened while I was working about 27-30 hours a week. My semester GPA ended up at a 3.48, but I am hoping to rebound next semester. If I am able to rebound I will be looking at a sGPA of 3.58 and a cGPA of a 3.70 I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but have started studying hard.

EC's:
40 hours of shadowing
150 hours as a clinical research assistant taking patient information over the phone for the VA
80 hours as a clinical research assistant following interns at the VA and recording the hours worked and patient load of the interns.
85 hours of volunteering in the ER of a local hospital
25-30 hours a week working in a retail store to put my way through college.
Outdoors club
AMSA
I was wondering if my lower GPA would require me to take time off to try to rebuild my GPA or if I should apply in June. I was thinking of applying early decision to NYMC, but I do have a list of schools that I want to apply to.

List of schools:

Medical college of Wisconsin
UW- Madison school of public health
Temple
Drexel
University of Vermont
Thomas Jefferson
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Creigton
NYMC
Loyola
Uniformed Services

Any help would really be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

If you get at least a 31 on the MCAT, you'd have no reason to delay your application with your projected GPAs. I would not apply EDP, rather, include your favored institution along with the rest of your list, which I feel is appropriate for you.

It's not clear whether the ECs listed are current or as you think they'll be in June. The research looks fine, but you didn't include the details of how many months this took.

Since you talked to patients for 150 hours gathering data, that should count toward your clinical experience, except that it wasn't "face-to-face". I'm not sure how that will be viewed by adcomms. If positively, then with the 85 hours in the ER, you have enough.

Shadowing 40 hours is enough for some schools. Did you follow more than one type of doc. Following the interns may also be looked at as "Shadowing" also depending on how you spin it.

Other than the ER time, do you have other community service/volunteerism? Any leadership or teaching?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be ending my junior year in May. I have worked at the VA for about a year and a half, volunteered for about six months, shadowed throughout my college life, and worked at the retail store for about 4 years.

Due to the fact that I work about 25-30 hours a week, I don't have time to do any teaching nor do I hold any leadership roles. However, on numerous occasions I have been put in charge of training new employees at the store that I work at.

I will be ending my junior year in May. I have worked at the VA for about a year and a half, volunteered for about six months, shadowed throughout my college life, and worked at the retail store for about 4 years.

Due to the fact that I work about 25-30 hours a week, I don't have time to do any teaching nor do I hold any leadership roles. However, on numerous occasions I have been put in charge of training new employees at the store that I work at.

Get that 3.7 and 3.58 and you will be fine with a 31-32 MCAT