Lower MCAT score second time - Canadian citizen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamie1005

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

There are several similar threads but I was hoping I could get some advice as a Canadian citizen who doesn't have as many options (much fewer medical schools in Canada) and not financially stable enough to attend an American university as an international student. I am currently a third year pre-med student with a 3.7 GPA.

--> My first MCAT score: 29 (10 BS, 10 PS, 9 VB)

So I retook the MCAT (the last try for the older version) in hopes of increasing my verbal score but to my surprise, I actually ended up scoring lower. Significantly lower.

--> My second MCAT score: 26 (8 BS, 8 PS, 10 VB).

Granted, I did better on the section I was hoping to improve in but I did way worse in the other sections.

My GPA is a 3.70 right now but with these MCAT scores, I am very worried about medical school applications. Would it be worth it for me to still apply to med schools with these scores? How will the lower second score affect my prospects? And if I'm seriously considering taking a gap year to improve my application (for example, a year in a research lab or other fieldwork), should I pursue that instead of applying to medical school right away? Or is it still worth a shot?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.