Lower score on MCAT re-take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATChallenger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my MCAT for the very first time in August 2010. I made a decent 29 (PS:10 VR:9 BS:10). I decided to take it again, but I NEVER expected this decision to haunt me. I re-took the MCAT in April 2011 and I made a very disappointing 25 (PS:10 VR:6 BS:9). I have a decent GPA of 3.56 and I want to apply this year (2012 Application). Should I re-consider? Maybe take the MCAT a third time? Anly advice is deeply appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you take it a third time, you better make damn sure that you improve.

qft. Also, I don't think you have any other choice but to take it again. Gotta end your retakes on a high note in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
This, especially because medical schools normally look at the most recent score. To be honest, you probably should have stuck with the 29.

Yea, I agree. I was not entirely prepared when I took it the first time, so I thought if I put in a little more effort, I could probably do better. And I worked hard, but I really have no explanation as to why the lower score....sigh...if I only knew then what I know now.

Yea, I agree. I was not entirely prepared when I took it the first time, so I thought if I put in a little more effort, I could probably do better. And I worked hard, but I really have no explanation as to why the lower score....sigh...if I only knew then what I know now.
No point in dwelling on the past. Study hard but effectively, take a prep course if possible, and remain optimistic. Good luck!:luck:

Agreed with others. You have no choice but to take it again. I was in the same situation and have to take it the third time. Make sure you are ready and to score 30+. Best of luck.

What if I have very good LORs and a few years of research experience (With atleast 2 papers)? Does this improve my chances at all?

What if I have very good LORs and a few years of research experience (With atleast 2 papers)? Does this improve my chances at all?

Having research paper is always a plus. My friend got into Havard with a 29 MCAT but I don't think you should hope for that. He does have very good research credentials but I don't know the specifics.

I think a downward trend in MCAT looks bad and that 4 pts drop off was pretty devastating. Having a 30 will significantly improve your chances. I got a 32, 30 and 33. I had to make a tough call to take it again but I am generally a good test taker so I took the gamble.

It all comes down to your guts, my friend. Are you doing well in AAMC? Do you think you will get better? I was sure of my ability to improve so I took it the third time.

Honestly, I still believe that I can do better than a 25 and a 29. I guess I can work really hard and try and improve my score, but that is what I thought the last time too. And my AAMC practice tests were not very impressive.

I re-took the MCAT and this time made a 29Q (1st time 29M, second time 25M). I have been working in research for the last 3 years, have 3 papers published in journals, good LORs. Im re-taking some classes over the summer to improve my GPA (current GPA is 3.7). And Im a Texas resident...

So, Ive been meaning to apply only in Texas, but since I didnt make a higher score on the MCAT and the rest of the application is just average, what are my chances (really)? And what out of state schools should I be looking into first?

I re-took the MCAT and this time made a 29Q (1st time 29M, second time 25M). I have been working in research for the last 3 years, have 3 papers published in journals, good LORs. Im re-taking some classes over the summer to improve my GPA (current GPA is 3.7). And Im a Texas resident...

So, Ive been meaning to apply only in Texas, but since I didnt make a higher score on the MCAT and the rest of the application is just average, what are my chances (really)? And what out of state schools should I be looking into first?

Maybe maybe if you pray enough you could get into texas tech or A&M (their avg mcat is around 26 or 27 right?). You have to retake the mcat. It is really unlikely to get in with a 25, I'd say you have about a 5-10% chance with that score. So you probably really need a re-take (you can probably apply with this score and re-take and re-apply next cycle if youdon't get in). Even if you can score around a 29 again, you should be fine since your a texas resident. And for the record, if your admission to texas schools is really unlikely then getting into an MD OOS school is probably not going to happen.

Maybe maybe if you pray enough you could get into texas tech or A&M (their avg mcat is around 26 or 27 right?). You have to retake the mcat. It is really unlikely to get in with a 25, I'd say you have about a 5-10% chance with that score. So you probably really need a re-take (you can probably apply with this score and re-take and re-apply next cycle if youdon't get in). Even if you can score around a 29 again, you should be fine since your a texas resident. And for the record, if your admission to texas schools is really unlikely then getting into an MD OOS school is probably not going to happen.

Just to clarify, I did re-take the MCAT and scored a 29Q on it (3rd attempt). 25M was my score the second time.