Lowest cost OT schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurlyHairedGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken a good look at which schools have lowest tuition and living costs? Two of the three in-state schools in Virginia require a lot of prerequisites I won't have time to take. I'm doing a career change in my 30's, taking prerequisite classes part time while working full time.

I grew up in Texas and my family is still there. But the closest OT school is 30 miles away from their house. So living "at home" wouldn't be an option.

I did look at Texas schools as a whole, and their out of state tuition could be as low as 50K for the whole program at Texas Tech. Lubbock is a boring place to live but has really cheap rent.

Any other suggestions for schools with low out of state tuition? I've sort of decided that $30k a year is about my max for tuition whether it is at a private school or out of state.

Members don't see this ad.

I drive 46 miles one way to get to my grad school from my parent's house. Most of if through busy parts of Los Angeles. And I know several others who drive almost/just as/a little more than I do.

It is a pain in the rear, but it does save a lot of money. I understand that housing may not be as expensive in Texas, so it is not as beneficial to do this. But just thought I would toss this out there.

If it costs me $500 a month to save 2 hours on driving a day, I'll pay the extra money and use the 2 hours towards studying and sleeping. I might pay some amount as rent if I were living at my parents, considering that I have a higher net worth than they do. Besides, the school near my parents is highly rated, and I don't know if I can get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although cost of living in high in NY, try SUNY Downstate in Brooklyn, NY. I also heard there's a program in Mississippi that has cheaper in-state tuition than Downstate. I'm not 100% which school it is, but I'm gonna guess it's University of Mississippi Medical Center.

Out-of-state tuition at Downstate is $7,580/semester. I think if you have your own health insurance, you'll be able to waive the insurance fee (which can be anywhere from $500-$1000+ depending on the term).

http://sls.downstate.edu/bursar/tuition_fees.html

Reactions: 1 user
I noticed you posted about Virginia. The three schools are Radford, JMU and VCU. I know JMU is the cheapest for instate. But I'm about to go to Radford. It was the better "fit" for me in many ways. In state you can get less that $30 K per year for tuition but will need around that much ++ to add in living expenses.

My best advice for the VA state schools is PLEASE, PLEASE, go visit them.

I learned so much more about each when doing these mini-visits. You'll get a feeling for each. You'll meet with the directors. Lay out your history of classes and ask them which they can give you life experience credit for and which you must take. Although they have long lists of pre-reqs all three seemed willing to look at one's transcript and discuss equivalents. You'll get a sense of each program based on what they say in response. You'll find out if they seem rigid or flexible. I too am doing a career change, am probably older than you :) and worked my pre-reqs into even./weekend classes at the community college nearby. But I knew already EXACTLY what they wanted based on my personal circumstances.

Hope you can take some road trips really soon!!!

Has anyone taken a good look at which schools have lowest tuition and living costs? Two of the three in-state schools in Virginia require a lot of prerequisites I won't have time to take. I'm doing a career change in my 30's, taking prerequisite classes part time while working full time.

I grew up in Texas and my family is still there. But the closest OT school is 30 miles away from their house. So living "at home" wouldn't be an option.

I did look at Texas schools as a whole, and their out of state tuition could be as low as 50K for the whole program at Texas Tech. Lubbock is a boring place to live but has really cheap rent.

Any other suggestions for schools with low out of state tuition? I've sort of decided that $30k a year is about my max for tuition whether it is at a private school or out of state.

Low cost tuition and in Texas...University of Texas at El Paso!

You can't worry about boring location if your trying to go affordable. Most low cost schools are in boring locations so just go to El Paso save the money apartments are affordable it's only 2 years you can do it!

Last edited:
I think for this upcoming year, Texas Tech is cheaper than UTEP. I'm fine about boring locations, given that I'm very sick of living places that are expensive and have a lot of traffic.

Oh okay I havent looked at Texas Tech enough to know the tuition. I did my bachelors at University of North Texas but my MOT I'm at Bay Path College got a scholarship for some of it took my tuition to a good level. I consider Denton and Longmeadow kinda boring..good luck!

Last edited:
Apply by your house first. 30 miles is not bad at all. Some of my classmates drive 1 hour to class everyday. It is good to have family support, especially if you can save on not paying rent, it is much cheaper. 20k extra debt after school for the convenience of living alone is not worth it in my opinion. Also, my school was only on 4 days a week. Just my opinion.

There is no school near me. There is one 30 miles and many traffic jams away near my *parents* house which is halfway across the country, and I haven't lived at home for any length of time in over 15 years. I hate to use this phrase, but I'm almost 40 so moving back home when I have other resources isn't really appealing.

We'd also have to negotiate putting my 3 year old and 8 year old indoor cats in with their 13 year old indoor/outdoor cat. The 3 year old likes to play and sometimes bothers the 8 year old too much. And what to do with the stuff that currently fills a two bedroom apartment? They have enough problems having room for what they are temporarily storing for my sister.

Plus I don't know if I would get in to that program.

Given that I'm older and have health issues and need sleep, I'm concerned about having a long drive and taking away study/self-care time. I have to deal with that in my current job. Gas and parking also costs money.

@quraish I wish everyone had a school near them. Its just not feasible where I live. Also, depending on where you live weather plays a major factor. I believe, it is worth living alone depending on your circumstances. I will be living alone when I begin my program in the fall. I did look for roommates and could not find a match.

Oh, my bad, I completely missed the part about you being in your 30's. I was thinking more for a college kid without a family to live with their parents is a more feasible option. I live with my family and I graduate in December so @gymnastau I def feel there are tons of benefits of living alone as well. You have your own space, don't need to worry about cleaning up someone else's mess, no one bothering you, and all the perks that come with living alone.

have been wanting to be an OT for ten years but I have not gone because of the loans. Does anyone have any advice about whether this wAs the right decision?