Lowest GPA for MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the lowest GPAs that you have heard of that gained acceptance into a MD/PhD program?

Members don't see this ad.

averages at the more selective programs are in the 3.8's, though I suspect that evidence of sustained research helps you more than anything.

at some other programs, the avg is lower, but with so few people enrolled, i wouldnt look to averages as a reliable estimate of how you stack up.

id say, if you have a 3.5-3.6, you're in the running, but there are so many other factors (mcat, essays, recs, research) that gpa alone is not a good indicator of your chances. it is conceivable that there exist applicants with stellar research and modest gpas, who would get into great programs.

the higher the better, thats for sure

Durfen last year had a 3.3 and was very successful in the application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
What would be considered stellar research?

I haven't cured any diseases yet;) but I think I've started to build a solid research record. I've been working as a lab tech for the last 18months working mainly with animal models/physiological stuff while occasionally pitching in with genetics work (mainly genotyping, everyone's favorite:p) and currently have 2 publications in decent journals and 3 conference abstracts with a couple more in writing/review (not first author but hopefully I can get the chance to on a small one in the coming year). I think it's as good as it is going to get without a MS or PhD, or a lot more years working as a tech (you know the guys that have been around the lab forever and are extremely good at keeping the grad students and post-docs on track).

Your GPA is just one part of the package, and I always sensed that, given the smaller applicant ppol, MSTP admissions committees see more of your whole app package than just MD. I had a 3.5 (from a small, lib arts school) and did very well in the application process. I had a lot of research experience, but no pubs. And my MCAT was even mediocre too. I got positive feedback on the strength of my letters and essays at many interviews, and I think my research, my ability to discuss my research, other experiences, and I guess my interviews (??) served me well.

You haven't told us what your stats are, but anyway, it's different for every applicant. I faired better than I expected when applying, and you may find that the same is true for you. Know your strengths, and play them up in your application. And obviously, any above-average aspect of your app will help balance a low GPA, whether that's a great MCAT, publications, glowing LORs, or curing a disease in your spare time. :)

What is mediocre MCAT score out of curiosity? That is if you don't mind me asking, I got a 28 on my first try and I'm extremely worried that's not gonna cut it......

For what it's worth, my friend with a 27 was accepted to UCLA (she applied MD-only). She applied to like 30 schools, though.

For the sake of anonymity, I won't even identify the gender of the individual, but I know of at least one applicant who was accepted into an MSTP in NYC one year with a 3.1 GPA and 33 MCAT; the individual's research was, of course, outstanding - having presented at international conferences and with a few quality pubs under his/her belt.

In the MCAT department, I guess I'm an anomaly - a 30 MCAT (low VR) and 3.61 cum uGPA. I'm having a rather successful application cycle nonetheless.

I only know about my school and others might be different, but I think an MCAT below 30 makes it more difficult to get accepted to MD-PhD programs. Of course, they also take into account your significant research experiences, publications, letters of rec, and GPA so there is no absolute cutoff.

Hello everybody!
I'm taking the MCAT this may, and my GPA is also mediocre (3.3). I'm hoping to raise my GPA more, and doing really well on the MCAT. But guys I need some research experience. How do I get involved with that..thanx

Hmmm, just email a professor that you're interested in doing research with or schedule a time to meet him/ her. For most professors, GPA does not really matter in regards fo becoming a part of the research team: it's all about your willingness to dedicate your time to conduct research well.

I was recently accepted to VCU's MD/PhD program. They're not MSTP, but it's fully funded and they said they'll be applying for MSTP funding/designation next year. Plus, they're putting a lot of money into the Massey Cancer Center and Translational Research. My UG cGPA was 3.4 and MCAT was 33Q. I'm non-traditional, my grad cGPA was 4.0, I have ~5 yrs of research experience and 1 first author publication. I applied very broadly. I interviewed at OHSU, will interview at University of Cincinnati, and was rejected from the top tier MSTPs (i.e. Cornell, Columbia, Stanford). No other news so far, but I do have one acceptance!

If you can check any box on the application that represents an underrepresented ethnic group, there is no limit on how low your MCAT/GPA can go and still be accepted. Not trying to start a flame war, but trust me, I've seen it from the reviewer side.

FWIW, I had a 3.3/31s with a first author publication and a master's degree and did fine.

If you can check any box on the application that represents an underrepresented ethnic group, there is no limit on how low your MCAT/GPA can go and still be accepted. Not trying to start a flame war, but trust me, I've seen it from the reviewer side.

FWIW, I had a 3.3/31s with a first author publication and a master's degree and did fine.

No. The MCAT, GPA and UG school might be lower if there is presumed lack of opportunity for URM applicants, but MD/PhD programs have minimum credentials. Applicants must be able to succeed in medical and graduate school. Even a single very bad blemish: MCAT lower than 26, Science GPA lower than 3.0, or UG school at bottom tier, might be killers for a URM applicant. The last two might be overcome with a Master's program.

No. The MCAT, GPA and UG school might be lower if there is presumed lack of opportunity for URM applicants, but MD/PhD programs have minimum credentials. Applicants must be able to succeed in medical and graduate school. Even a single very bad blemish: MCAT lower than 26, Science GPA lower than 3.0, or UG school at bottom tier, might be killers for a URM applicant. The last two might be overcome with a Master's program.

I'm just saying that we interviewed and accepted several URM applicants with MCAT<26, GPA<3.0, and minimal publications. These students went on to accept offers at much more prestigious schools than mine. Maybe it has to do with the fact that our applicants had to go through the MD screening first and their applications were handled by the office of minority recruitment and then handed up to us, but regardless, they were interviewed and accepted. Our program director made it clear that the school of medicine was actively trying to increase our MD/PhD minority percentage (much to his chagrin).

Anyway, I am not a URM and had below average scores, above average publication record, and excellent letters, so the answer to the OP's original question is that you do not need 3.9 and 35 to get in, but you better standout in some other way. This is just my opinion having been in a program and having been part of the application review process.

and was rejected from the top tier MSTPs (i.e. Cornell, Columbia, Stanford)

Man, I'm applying with a 42R and 3.97 and still got rejected by Cornell and Stanford for MSTP (still waiting on Columbia). Who knows what those people are looking for...

I'm just saying that we interviewed and accepted several URM applicants with MCAT<26, GPA<3.0, and minimal publications.

... wow. No wonder URM admissions is something program directors never want to discuss. I'm never quite sure how to advise borderline URM applicants.

As I indicated, applicants must be able to succeed in medical and graduate school. If they have MCATs below 26 or Science GPAs below 3.0, they are going to have a hard time passing standardized testing (USMLE steps) or getting thru medical and graduate school.

I was recently accepted to VCU's MD/PhD program. They're not MSTP, but it's fully funded and they said they'll be applying for MSTP funding/designation next year. Plus, they're putting a lot of money into the Massey Cancer Center and Translational Research. My UG cGPA was 3.4 and MCAT was 33Q. I'm non-traditional, my grad cGPA was 4.0, I have ~5 yrs of research experience and 1 first author publication. I applied very broadly. I interviewed at OHSU, will interview at University of Cincinnati, and was rejected from the top tier MSTPs (i.e. Cornell, Columbia, Stanford). No other news so far, but I do have one acceptance!

I guess I'll add to this statement that I am not URM for ethnicity and went to University of Hawaii for BS and MS. I am female, so that might be included in "URM" for MD/PhD programs, since there are something like 30% women in these programs? Maybe being from Hawaii, where we don't have an MD/PhD program helped too? I'm not that impressive in some aspects, but I think my sustained research experience also helped. Hope this extra information helps.