Lowest MCAT...Non-trad, military, career-changer and considering other healthcare careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USMC2Doctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken the older MCAT and scored a 14...yup...14 (total). So, I worked more and tried to save money to get into a MCAT course (Kaplan) since it's pretty expensive. Took the test again and scored a 13 (a couple grand down the drain). Now, it's a newer MCAT and I am overwhelmed. I'm already a RN and I do work in a critical care setting (NICU), but as a non-trad, prior military, career changer from Information Technology to Nursing and still pursuing med school, I have seriously reconsidered my plan A of becoming a physician. I have kids so I can't stop working and spend more time with studying for the mcat. I've considered becoming a PA and NP. Applications have been sent, signed, and delivered for those programs. Am I taking the MCAT again? Yes, I am. Why? B/c I can see myself possibly trying to become a physician again if /when I get through PA and NP programs. I'm stubborn.

Lately, I've had some people who have supported me through this journey who have given up or has been telling me to settle down to a plan B. Of course, I listen. After all, they have sacrificed as much as I have in this dream of mine of becoming a doctor. I have to stop dreaming and be realistic. Maybe I don't have the intellectual capacity to become one. My MCAT scored have definitely proven that.

My GPA, EC, LOR etc. shouldn't be a problem. As a non-grad, my science pre-reqs has been recent but spread out in time enough that my foundation of the concepts are a bit shaky. This MCAT is just another obstacle. A big one who's currently winning (MCAT=2, ME=zero). Taking the new MCAT this September and I'll reevaluate my options again. Let me know how to tackle this mcat...or give me other career options. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken the older MCAT and scored a 14...yup...14 (total). So, I worked more and tried to save money to get into a MCAT course (Kaplan) since it's pretty expensive. Took the test again and scored a 13 (a couple grand down the drain). Now, it's a newer MCAT and I am overwhelmed. I'm already a RN and I do work in a critical care setting (NICU), but as a non-trad, prior military, career changer from Information Technology to Nursing and still pursuing med school, I have seriously reconsidered my plan A of becoming a physician. I have kids so I can't stop working and spend more time with studying for the mcat. I've considered becoming a PA and NP. Applications have been sent, signed, and delivered for those programs. Am I taking the MCAT again? Yes, I am. Why? B/c I can see myself possibly trying to become a physician again if /when I get through PA and NP programs. I'm stubborn.

Lately, I've had some people who have supported me through this journey who have given up or has been telling me to settle down to a plan B. Of course, I listen. After all, they have sacrificed as much as I have in this dream of mine of becoming a doctor. I have to stop dreaming and be realistic. Maybe I don't have the intellectual capacity to become one. My MCAT scored have definitely proven that.

My GPA, EC, LOR etc. shouldn't be a problem. As a non-grad, my science pre-reqs has been recent but spread out in time enough that my foundation of the concepts are a bit shaky. This MCAT is just another obstacle. A big one who's currently winning (MCAT=2, ME=zero). Taking the new MCAT this September and I'll reevaluate my options again. Let me know how to tackle this mcat...or give me other career options. Thanks!

How is your prep different this time? Have you taken any practice tests? Do NOT take this test again until a practice test predicts a significantly higher score.

Honestly, though, PA or NP option seems the best option for you. Two extremely low MCAT's including one after a prep course does not bode well for a future medical career. Standardized tests are part of our existence and it appears to be a significant weakness of yours.

Reactions: 1 users
Glad to see more Marines trying to go the doc route. I'm in your shoes myself, except I'm not a nurse. I have a thread in this category labeled "getting out of the military soon" that has had a large response and I believe may give you some direction.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just took the July sitting of the MCAT 2015, and I'll be honest, it was a draining test. I would really caution you against taking the MCAT again unless you really feel as though you are prepared.

I can relate to you because I was working 50-60 hours a week over 6 days while studying and I can tell you that it isn't impossible.

But like xffan said, standardized tests are everything in medicine, so just keep that in mind.

How is your prep different this time? Have you taken any practice tests? Do NOT take this test again until a practice test predicts a significantly higher score.

Honestly, though, PA or NP option seems the best option for you. Two extremely low MCAT's including one after a prep course does not bode well for a future medical career. Standardized tests are part of our existence and it appears to be a significant weakness of yours.

xffan624 thanks for the reply. My study prep this time around is to start from the beginning and strengthen my science foundation. I will definitely reschedule if I don't feel ready by my mcat date. Yes, standardized tests has always been my weakness, but it's something I need to get over if I want any kind of chance to get into med school.

I just took the July sitting of the MCAT 2015, and I'll be honest, it was a draining test. I would really caution you against taking the MCAT again unless you really feel as though you are prepared.

I can relate to you because I was working 50-60 hours a week over 6 days while studying and I can tell you that it isn't impossible.

But like xffan said, standardized tests are everything in medicine, so just keep that in mind.

I have been studying more after work and sleeping less and less, but there has been some days that studying after a long and exhausting day in my unit is merely possible. How are you preparing this time around?

Glad to see more Marines trying to go the doc route. I'm in your shoes myself, except I'm not a nurse. I have a thread in this category labeled "getting out of the military soon" that has had a large response and I believe may give you some direction.

Yeah, I haven't met any other Marines who has gone from the Marines to physician in person, but I have seen a few on this SDN forum. I've met a few Navy and Army, but not Marines.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry to say but unless you have found some huge deficit and have figured out how to fix it, you may not be cut out for this. Two mcats in the low teens means you are either horrible at standardized test or don't even remotely know the information. Both are required to survive the MCAT. If you're an RN, I would personally suggest CRNA as the midlevel job of choice. They make fabulous money and it isn't a lot more schooling from where you are now....

Good luck

Many thanks for your service to our country, and Semper Fi!

While we love veterans, your scores are so far off the charts in a negative way that I can't recommend medical school. You are in a major risk category for failing medical school!

IF you have test taking anxiety issues, these can be fixed.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been studying more after work and sleeping less and less, but there has been some days that studying after a long and exhausting day in my unit is merely possible. How are you preparing this time around?

I ended up using both Kaplan and Exam Krackers materials and supplementing with Khanacademy when i was too tired to read

also questions
lots
and lots
and lots
of questions

I want to echo @sb247's advice. Two MCAT scores below 15 show that you have no grasp on the material and do not have the requisite test-taking skills. Continuing to put time and money into MCAT preparation is most likely a lost cause. I know someone who was in the same boat as you. After a year of private tutoring and lots of self-study, they were rewarded with a score of...18.

However, let's say you don't heed this advice. You put several years of serious sweat equity into preparing for the MCAT and pull out a mid-20s score that might (or might not) get you into a DO school. You go through an application cycle and, hey, you get in. However, now you have to tackle the beast that is medical school without years to prepare yourself for each exam. Are you now comfortable taking out loans for or shelling out roughly $50k a year in tuition when your track record with testing suggests that there is a reasonable chance you will fail out?

I don't want to be all doom and gloom but I hope you seriously consider this before moving forward. As far as career options, PA over NP, all day, everyday. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

As a non-grad, my science pre-reqs has been recent but spread out in time enough that my foundation of the concepts are a bit shaky. This MCAT is just another obstacle. A big one who's currently winning (MCAT=2, ME=zero). Taking the new MCAT this September and I'll reevaluate my options again. Let me know how to tackle this mcat...or give me other career options. Thanks!

I realize it might not be feasible but maybe retaking those pre-reqs, or auditing them, and making sure your understanding of the concepts are solid will help. If you're still gunning for plan A that would be the only way I could see you improving. Otherwise look into PA, NP, or CRNA.

You say your GPA isn't a problem. What is it? A disjunction in GPA and MCAT could possibly be a mini-red flag sometimes.

Those are some rough scores. I'm not even sure a stellar third attempt could resurrect your chances. But I will never say never. Best of luck.

Man, I haven't taken it yet but it seems like you're speaking in future tense about study technique for the September test. That's WAY too soon, especially if you haven't started studying. If you're really serious about it, mark the month of January or March for the test and start over.

Again, I haven't taken it, but if you can't beat this test then there's no way any school will consider taking you on as a professional test taker for 4 years.

Yeah, I haven't met any other Marines who has gone from the Marines to physician in person, but I have seen a few on this SDN forum. I've met a few Navy and Army, but not Marines.

We're out there.

Semper Fi

Regarding your question of whether to retake the mcat in a month, I think we all can acknowledge that you will not be ready to take the mcat in a month, and posting a third subpar score will do nothing to help your cause. When you're stuck in a hole, the first thing to do is to stop digging deeper. So stop. You will not be ready to take the mcat again any time soon, and you wouldn't be asking that question if you didn't know that already on some level yourself.

Regarding whether to give up altogether, that is a question only you can answer. Why do you want to go to medical school? Do you really need an md/do, or can you accomplish your goals another way? Because as others have already pointed out, you must be able to take and pass many standardized exams if you intend to be a physician. It is not possible to be a physician who has taking standardized tests as a weakness. Even as an attending, I still have specialty boards, recertification, etc. The testing never stops until you retire. So you either need to make peace with standardized exams and learn how to perform satisfactorily on them, or choose a different career path. If you decide that you do not want to undertake what will likely be a multi-year process to improve your test-taking skills, we may be able to give you some better suggestions for alternative careers if you tell us what your motivations for med school are.