lowest score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

momof2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the absolute lowest MCAT score you have ever seen get into medical school. I am not talking tiers, just an accredited school. (Assume ALL other credentials including GPA, personal statement, EC's, LOR's, undergrad major, interview, etc. stand out.) Looking for total score here.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a specific score in mind (for your "friend") you ought to just list it.

Otherwise, check out mdapplicants.com

It's not for a friend, its for me and my score was very low. There isn't much hope for improvement. If you know a low score, please list it.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the AAMC book (MSAR), the lowest score I saw was in the single digits. I believe it was a 5 or 9, and that's for all three sections combined. But, usually there are unusual circumstances such as illness that contributed to the low score.

But, if you're healthy then single digit scores will not be good.

Thanks - if all posters could be as straight-forward as you, including myself - this site would be an even better one. Again thanks. I was contracting (as in, in labor) while taking the April test. Some might argue that it shouldn't effect my score and I tend to agree because I did my very best and felt pretty confident about it. I do not think I will improve very much in the August test. Again, thanks.

Are you serious? If you are why not void? Your best bet is to call the schools yourself and ask, no matter what anyone here may think everyone is different...call and ask you may be surprised!

Applied Early Decision - one requirement is to have the April scores released. To answer your question, yes, I was serious. I am a poor test-taker and probably won't ever do much beter on the test. It doesn't mean I won't continue to try; I just wanted to take a pulse on my ED chances with my low score. (To responders: yes, I know I will have to deal with tests in med-school but none like this one.)

Hmmm, from my understanding those applying ED usually have pretty good stats, but I could be wrong. Well, from talking to med students, you will see many more tests like the MCAT, meaning standardized exams so be aware....Did you take a review course like tpr or kaplan? did you do enough practice exams? did you take all the pre-reqs? did you put enough time into it? if the answer to all the above is yes, then maybe you do have ADD or other learning disorder, have you had yourself evaluated? I know that the MCAT is a tough exam. I really do believe that many times there is no correlation between how you did and how well you prepared. I know of many people that did all of the right things and still scored very very low. The good thing is that you can take it again, was this your first time?

As a Mom of two kids and who is pregnant with her third (surprise!!!) I can say that taking the MCAT pregnant, let alone while have contractions, would be a major distraction. My memory is terrible during pregnancy and the MCAT is tough enough to endure with out little feet up under your ribs and someone punching you in the cervix and bladder (as mine is doing to me right now). I can also see how it would be tough for you to study much for the August exam while taking care of a newborn.

Don't set yourself up for failure by expecting to do poorly. MCAT success has alot to do with attitude. It really doesn't matter if someone knew someone who got into some school with "X" score. Your application is unique to you and you shouldn't pin your hopes on someone who got in with the same score or lower than yours. There are just to many variables.

If you do not feel prepared to take the exam in August, then put it off until April. I know that means a year delay, but if your score is really far below average you most likely will be applying next year anyway. Unfortunately, the MCAT is a fact of life in the admissions process. I was petrified of taking it - I'm 35 and the last standardized test I took was my SAT in 1985! I finished my prereqs and took a prep class; studied full-time for about 7 weeks last summer and did well.

Feel free to PM me if you would like specifics on what worked for me. You can improve your score! You just need to determine what your weaknesses are and set a plan. It takes work, but I would bet between putting in place a good personall study plan and NOT being pregnant, you will see a big jump in your score.

Deirdre

Thanks - I will try to PM you. Very encouraging. I too am an older student with far-removed standardized experience. I think my whole problem is reading "to study and learn" rather than speed reading and quick decision making. But since, by degree and profession; I am trained to problem solve, at least that part works for me. I subconsciously look for discrepancies in passages and bog down pretty readily. I have practiced and practiced - to no avail. Flaw for the test; advantage in real life. I plan to approach this "flaw" as an advantage if I recieve an interview.

Originally posted by momof2
yes, I know I will have to deal with tests in med-school but none like this one.)

I guess you have never heard of Step One (USMLE)!

Momof2,
From your posts, you are obviously intelligent, so I think you're perfectly capable of doing well on the MCAT if you prepare and approach it correctly. Don't sell yourself short. Test-taking is a skill that can be taught--yes, some people are naturally better "test-takers" than others but that doesn't mean you can't improve your skill at it. It sounds like your problem is that you are too slow in reading the passages and answering the questions. That is something that can be fixed! It doesn't sound like the problem is with reading comprehension. Perhaps, also, you are too careful and thorough in answering the questions and it slows you down; you may need to learn to be less perfectionistic about it. I really believe that courses such as the Princeton Review can be very helpful in teaching test-taking skills such as how to quickly read a passage, how to eliminate wrong answers by process-of-elimination, skimming passages, etc. and I would strongly encourage you to look into such a course--perhaps even get some private tutoring from them just in test-taking skills and how to approach the test. You also need to start believing that you CAN do well--if you're anxious during the test about how you're going to do, you won't do as well as you could if you feel confident.

Finally, I definitely agree that if you're having labor pains during the MCAT that is a major distraction and could seriously affect your performance even if you weren't aware of it at the time! Take it again, after ample preparation (maybe wait till next April so you have plenty of time to prep), kick the MCAT's butt, and then at your interviews you can explain that you were in labor the first time you took it! Adcoms will surely understand that and excuse your low score, as long as you do better the second time.

Don't get discouraged! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement and detailed positive response.

Well I've always done poorly on the verbal section, so I know hwo you feel
This last April I still got a 7 on Verbal, however I did get 12 on the two other sections....

Still though I feel your pain

OCEAN11

Originally posted by beanbean
I can say that taking the MCAT pregnant, let alone while have contractions, would be a major distraction. My memory is terrible during pregnancy and the MCAT is tough enough to endure with out little feet up under your ribs and someone punching you in the cervix and bladder (as mine is doing to me right now). I can also see how it would be tough for you to study much for the August exam while taking care of a newborn.

I'll second what Deidre says here (I have 2 kids too)! It also applies to lactation. Those motherly hormones are not the best things for stimulating intellectual thought. Give yourself a break, enjoy your baby, and allow yourself the time to do really well next time. You deserve to do as well as you can! :)

Don't get discouraged! There is so much you can do to improve your score...unless you've exhausted every means you can don't say or believe that you can't improve! I agree with a previous poster who commented on how intelligent you sound in your posts; you are obviously capable. The other day I read on here on some random thread something I really liked; medicine isn't full of exceptionally bright people but it IS full of extremely hard workers. Take the mcat when you know you're ready, which could very well be next April, not next month. I get so discouraged too sometimes but i KNOW that for you and I both, if we want this badly enough and in turn work hard enough for long enough we can for SURE achieve it. Good luck!! :)

Originally posted by trauma_junky

IMHO, your perfomance on the MCAT has nothing to do with how you will perform in Medical school or any of the USLME tests. I know quite a few people in medical school. I know people who have scored in the thirties on the MCAT only to score less than average on the Boards part 1. That being said I also know people who have scored 26-27 on the MCAT only to score around 240 on the Board( I believe the average is around 216). You will never see a test format like the MCAT again. The MCAT is mainly a verbal reasoning test though outside knowledge does help, whereas the Boards depends mainly on outside knowledge. If you are willing to work hard and put the time in, you will do well in Medical school and on the Boards.

Originally posted by Geek Medic
I know of one person who got in on a 21, and I've heard about one student who got in on a 16 (her parents were heavy donors to the school). She flunked out first year.

:eek: :eek:

Originally posted by trauma_junky

Grow up!:mad:

Back to the topic, I know a practicing surgeon that scored 21 on the MCAT.

I have a friend in the class of 2006 who got in with a 24 but her GPA was really good and she had done alot of volunteer work.

I got in with a 26 (6v, 9P, 11B, S) and 3.5. Awesome letters, 6 mos. full time OR orderly, 3 1/2 years research at the CDC. #s definitely aren't everything.

Thanks to all - feeling better all the time.

I know or know of many people who get in with a 20-25 (they usually have 3.7 or higher gpa)....and a lot of them turn out to be really good docs. Many of them specialize...so don't worry to much about your score, just concentrate on getting in and doing well when you get in.

I know of an 18 (!!) that got in this year through a post-bacc. Although being an ESL URM probably helped.

Momof2-
Hi. I hope I'll be able to give you some specific statistical data; do with it what you may. I second the thoughts of many of those who replied stating that you must take things on a case by case basis. Remember that there are TONS of people that, "by the numbers", should be in medical school but aren't...and vice-versa.
Anyway, here goes. As a preface, I'm a returning student that is taking prereqs (that I missed in my undergrad degree) at SUNY Binghamton in NY State. These stats come directly from the pre-med advising office. The students were admitted to classes of 2007.
Lowest score admitted to ANY school: 15 (St. Georges)
Lowest score admitted to a US school: 18 (NYCOM)
Lowest score admitted to a MD school: 22 (UMDNJ)
FYI: there were 6 students accepted to US medical schools with a score of 24.
THERE IS NO IDENTIFICATION OF URMS.
Bolster the rest of your application; get in; be a great doctor.
Best of luck!

dc

Thanks for the statistics. I appreciate your help.