Loyola MSMP or Georgetown SMP?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apc cy7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've been accepted into loyola's msmp and gu's smp and I'm not sure which one I should attend, so here I am.

loyola's program is much smaller (only 25 compared to ~150 from georgetown), which might be nice, but it's also a newer program, so I'm not sure that it gives as good of results or is as well known/respected as georgetown's program - I'm pretty sure gu is ranked higher than loyola. Loyola is also a smidge cheaper, so that's a plus as well. I'm wondering if both programs would be equally challenging and just as difficult to do well in; I know gu's classes will be with the med 1 students, so I feel like this might be more challenging, but also more telling of the fact that I can truly handle a med school courseload. I think loyola does 12 credits each semester and gu does 18 credits and then 15 credits, so even though it's a lighter courseload, I'd probably have time to do more shadowing/volunteering with loyola?

I know people in both chicago and dc, so location isn't really playing a factor in my decision.

I'm really torn and I keep going back and forth between the two! Happy to hear any advice/opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm planning on applying to post bacs for next year and these are two of my top choices. I guess it depends on your specific needs; I recall reading that Loyola MAMS has a huge focus on volunteer work while in the program, so I assume the opportunities will be available/encouraged in the MSMP program as well. At the same time, if GPA enhancement is a big goal for you like it is for me, then Gtown may be the way to go given that you can bang out 18 credits early on to show any medschools that you have already applied to that you can hang with/outdo M1s. I think that would probably make Gtown more difficult, especially given its massive class size.