Loyola Stritch -- Interview advice please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDapp06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm interviewing with Loyola in about a week, and I am really nervous. This is my best interview invite so far, and from what I have heard, it is a great school with a really supportive student body. BUT I have also read the interview feedback, and I am starting to get worried. Are a lot of ethical questions asked, as well as questions about the current healthcare system? I just want to know what to expect. If I should be prepared to answer questions on ethics and questions about major problems in healthcare today, does anyone have suggestions on where I can get good info on these topics? Such as websites, journals, etc....? Any general advice on how to prepare for the Loyola interview would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

has a great section on ethics. Check it out.

Searun

Hi MDapp06!
I just wanted to tell you that I recently met the director of admissions at Loyola (Dr. Muraskas), who says that they accept about 95% of the people they interview. Really, they're just making sure there's nothing really terrible about you -- if they've invited you to interview, they really want you there! As for ethical questions, they're just looking to see if you can see both sides of a story -- I don't think they need you to take a firm stance. Plus, Dr. Muraskas said they WON'T ask you about abortion.
Hope this helps! Congratulations and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi MDapp06!
I just wanted to tell you that I recently met the director of admissions at Loyola (Dr. Muraskas), who says that they accept about 95% of the people they interview. Really, they're just making sure there's nothing really terrible about you -- if they've invited you to interview, they really want you there! As for ethical questions, they're just looking to see if you can see both sides of a story -- I don't think they need you to take a firm stance. Plus, Dr. Muraskas said they WON'T ask you about abortion.

MSAR 07-08 says they interviewed 531 people and 140 matriculated. Do you really think they accepted 504 people? If so, do you really think that 364 people turned them down after they were accepted? Even if it was from the dean of admissions, I don't buy that story....

MSAR 07-08 says they interviewed 531 people and 140 matriculated. Do you really think they accepted 504 people? If so, do you really think that 364 people turned them down after they were accepted? Even if it was from the dean of admissions, I don't buy that story....

you know that accepting twice as many people as their current class size is a common practice for all med schools nowadays, right? so, 140*2, almost 300, i won't be surprised that they actually accept over 350 students. just my 2 cents.

yobynaes

Good point, but to help you out, 504 is over 3 and a half their class size of 140. Accepting a little more than double I can understand. But over 3 and a half??? Is something wrong with the school that makes people not want to go there?

It's possible that the 95% number was referring to instate applicants who interview. Loyola does have a strong preference for Illinois applicants.

Thank you to everyone for posting your advice and thoughts! I knew I could come to SDN and get great feedback :)

Feel free to keep the suggestions coming!

I interviewed there a few weeks back. It was an awesome experience. The facilities rock, and the students are incredibly nice. I had tons of people come up to me throughout the day to ask me what I thought, and to answer any questions I might have.

Both of my interviews were really conversational. All the students told me that of the two interviews, one is the "tough" one, while the second interview is the "easy" one. For the tough interview, you get asked a few ethical questions. I got a question about conflict resolution, and one about Terri Schaivo (though my interviewer acknowledged that this topic has been beaten to death). Your interviewer isn't necessarily interested in what your answer is, but in your reasoning and your understanding of of the topic. Just pick a side, stick to your guns, and at least mention the other side of the debate. Even though this interview was considered the difficult one, it was still very conversational and laid-back.

My second interviewer was really nice and inviting. He basically asked about some of my background and activities. He asked the obvious "why loyola" and "why medicine" questions. He did ask me my feelings about stem cell ethics, but that was only because I've done research with them.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions about the day.

I interviewed there awhile ago as well. I didn't get asked a single ethical question...both of my interviews were really laid back. One of my interviewers even showed me around the NICU! (His department).

One of my interviews was an hour and 15 minutes long, and the next was 45.

As far as percents, perhaps they accept 95% of people until their class fills, and then they waitlist a lot. The numbers for 2004 showed that they accepted more than half, but i bet a large part of why more weren't accepted is because they filled their class. They only interview 15% of applicants.

I really loved Loyola and I think you will too. Have fun at your interview!

Just another tidbit about Loyola.

I met with Dean Nordstrom yesterday while I was shadowing a first year student. I was on fall break and decided to hang around and get a better feel for Loyola.

Anyways, she mentioned to me that almost 33% of this year's M1 class were taken off of the wait list. Tuition is a big reason as to why more people don't end up attending Loyola.

It's possible that the 95% number was referring to instate applicants who interview. Loyola does have a strong preference for Illinois applicants.

no they don't.

less than half our class is from illinois - and that's mainly because more people from here know about the school and want to stay close to home. as a private school, everyone is charged the same tuition, and they don't show significant preference to in-staters. there is some preference, but definitely not to the extent of 95% of local interviewees being accepted on the basis of being from illinois.

no they don't.

less than half our class is from illinois - and that's mainly because more people from here know about the school and want to stay close to home. as a private school, everyone is charged the same tuition, and they don't show significant preference to in-staters. there is some preference, but definitely not to the extent of 95% of local interviewees being accepted on the basis of being from illinois.

Loyola interviewed 21% of IS applicants and 10% of OOS applicants last year. I'm OOS and on hold...so sad :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Loyola interviewed 21% of IS applicants and 10% of OOS applicants last year. I'm OOS and on hold...so sad :(

do we know if their interview stats are for complete apps or amcas apps?

to the original poster, don't be very stressed about the loyola interview. if you get asked ethical questions, its because the interviewer wants to know how you think and if you can see multiple facets of an issue, rather than what your stance on the given subject is. (and just fyi, pretty sure i WAS asked about abortion. maybe they don't ask about that anymore) my advice for preparing for your interview is to review your AMCAS/secondaries. know your application inside and out. when they ask you about activity x or what you liked about taking class y, be ready to answer. again, its more conversational as opposed to standing in front of the firing squad. early in the interview season, if you get an interview and you aren't a complete lack of personality or obviously wouldn't fit in at the school, you should be accepted. as the season progresses, it gets harder to get a straight-up acceptance. but its not impossible even later in the season. i interviewed in the first or second week of january (a couple years back) and got accepted right to the accepted pile (no wait list). and loyola does take somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/3 of the class off the weight list before its all said and done. and as has been mentioned, i'd agree that the main reason for not taking the loyola acceptance is $$. it was hard to turn down way cheaper in-state tuition for me to go here, but i haven't regretted it. loyola is a great school. and it prepares you very well for being a physician. i would also agree with what jbrice said that loyola doesn't favor in-state over out-of-state. they probably do interview more illinois people but that's because they are right here and more probably apply. feel free to post or PM with any other questions (2nd year is rough and i might not see your post if you don't PM). good luck with the interview!

Reactions: 1 user
to the original poster, don't be very stressed about the loyola interview. if you get asked ethical questions, its because the interviewer wants to know how you think and if you can see multiple facets of an issue, rather than what your stance on the given subject is. (and just fyi, pretty sure i WAS asked about abortion. maybe they don't ask about that anymore) my advice for preparing for your interview is to review your AMCAS/secondaries. know your application inside and out. when they ask you about activity x or what you liked about taking class y, be ready to answer. again, its more conversational as opposed to standing in front of the firing squad. early in the interview season, if you get an interview and you aren't a complete lack of personality or obviously wouldn't fit in at the school, you should be accepted. as the season progresses, it gets harder to get a straight-up acceptance. but its not impossible even later in the season. i interviewed in the first or second week of january (a couple years back) and got accepted right to the accepted pile (no wait list). and loyola does take somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/3 of the class off the weight list before its all said and done. and as has been mentioned, i'd agree that the main reason for not taking the loyola acceptance is $$. it was hard to turn down way cheaper in-state tuition for me to go here, but i haven't regretted it. loyola is a great school. and it prepares you very well for being a physician. i would also agree with what jbrice said that loyola doesn't favor in-state over out-of-state. they probably do interview more illinois people but that's because they are right here and more probably apply. feel free to post or PM with any other questions (2nd year is rough and i might not see your post if you don't PM). good luck with the interview!

Thanks, brats800! Everyone's advice on this thread has been very helpful!

FYI - Here is a link to admission stats from last year:
http://www.meddean.luc.edu/admissions/factsheet.htm

289 acceptances offered out of 530 interviews. I think Dr. Muraskas was being loose with his 95%, but what he was probably implying is that many people who interview early get accepted. Once the school fills their quota of spots that they can comfortably offer, they go to a waitlist. My class had very little waitlist movement (~15 people out of a class of 140), but last year was better.

Moral of the story, if you get offered an interview, try to get a time slot before January or in early January - that's usually when the guaranteed spots fill.

Hope this helps! Loyola is an awesome place to go for school. Good luck!

Laurie, MS3

I've heard Dr. Muraskas talk before-- they interview around 530 students and accept about 290-- that 95% number is the percentage of people who are not rejected, which means, 95% of people are directly accepted or waitlisted, and only about 5% of the interviewees are directly rejected.

Have they rejected anyone pre-interview yet or does everyone just get put on the hold thing

hey all, they JUST send me their secondary application by snail mail, i think its pretty late, considering its pretty much november, im out of state, is there a point in applying to this school this late?

Congrats on your interview invite! I am an M1 at Loyola, and let me tell you what you probably already know - this place is AWESOME. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I think the point that the other Stritchers above are making is that if you are interviewing this early in the cycle, you are pretty much in (maybe this is where Dr. Muraskas's 95% is coming from).

As far as the interview goes, RELAX and just be yourself. The interviewers all work hard to keep you relaxed and make sure that the interview is not a "high-stress" type interview. They just want to see that you can think about ethical situations. They are very big here on teaching not just the science of medicine, but how the science relates to the experience of being human.

While you are interviewing here, here are a few things that I would suggest noticing:

1. How the students work together. Just step into the anatomy lab while on your tour and watch the first years interacting. Notice that we are smiling, laughing, enjoying each other and HELPING each other learn.

2. Notice that the upper classmen help out the lower classmen, and that this help is both informal and formal (we have assigned upperclassmen). If you like a "family feel" where big brothers and sisters help you, and you help your junior academic "siblings" then this would be a good place to go. If you are a "all in it just for myself" kind of person - you won't like the system here.

3. Notice the opportunities for extra-curricular activities, both clinical, social, and humanitarian. You may find yourself in Kenya over the summer, volunteering in a clinic, delivering food to the homeless, playing football on the girls football team (or cheerleading if you are a guy), and this is all just during your FIRST YEAR.

4. Notice that the hospital is literally next door to the school. Physicians there are extrememy receptive to you just going over and following them around for a few hours. Great way to learn stuff, tie in your academics to a "real world" setting, and keeps life interesting.

5. The most amazing gym you will ever see at a school is 3 doors down from the school. You just gotta see it.

6. The academic schedule here is on a block schedule. You just focus on one science class at a time (while a first year at least, the second years double dip a bit). Lectures are over by noon 4/5 days a week, so you get plenty of time for studying, or outside interests without having to ever ditch lecture like some other schools.

7. Chicago is AWESOME.

OK.. I am writing far too much. Good luck!

hey all, they JUST send me their secondary application by snail mail, i think its pretty late, considering its pretty much november, im out of state, is there a point in applying to this school this late?

Yes... apply - see my post above for reasons why.

Congrats on your interview invite! I am an M1 at Loyola, and let me tell you what you probably already know - this place is AWESOME. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I think the point that the other Stritchers above are making is that if you are interviewing this early in the cycle, you are pretty much in (maybe this is where Dr. Muraskas's 95% is coming from).

As far as the interview goes, RELAX and just be yourself. The interviewers all work hard to keep you relaxed and make sure that the interview is not a "high-stress" type interview. They just want to see that you can think about ethical situations. They are very big here on teaching not just the science of medicine, but how the science relates to the experience of being human.

While you are interviewing here, here are a few things that I would suggest noticing:

1. How the students work together. Just step into the anatomy lab while on your tour and watch the first years interacting. Notice that we are smiling, laughing, enjoying each other and HELPING each other learn.

2. Notice that the upper classmen help out the lower classmen, and that this help is both informal and formal (we have assigned upperclassmen). If you like a "family feel" where big brothers and sisters help you, and you help your junior academic "siblings" then this would be a good place to go. If you are a "all in it just for myself" kind of person - you won't like the system here.

3. Notice the opportunities for extra-curricular activities, both clinical, social, and humanitarian. You may find yourself in Kenya over the summer, volunteering in a clinic, delivering food to the homeless, playing football on the girls football team (or cheerleading if you are a guy), and this is all just during your FIRST YEAR.

4. Notice that the hospital is literally next door to the school. Physicians there are extrememy receptive to you just going over and following them around for a few hours. Great way to learn stuff, tie in your academics to a "real world" setting, and keeps life interesting.

5. The most amazing gym you will ever see at a school is 3 doors down from the school. You just gotta see it.

6. The academic schedule here is on a block schedule. You just focus on one science class at a time (while a first year at least, the second years double dip a bit). Lectures are over by noon 4/5 days a week, so you get plenty of time for studying, or outside interests without having to ever ditch lecture like some other schools.

7. Chicago is AWESOME.

OK.. I am writing far too much. Good luck!

I Want IN!!! :D Please, please take me :)

Definitely apply if you are interested. Loyola screens for secondaries so you are already in a better positing by being invited to submit one. There are people who have been accepted that got secondaries late in the game.

Hi MDapp06!

According to US News for Fall 2005:

Instate: 183 int, 102 accepted, 65 matriculated
OOS: 348 int, 188 accepted, 75 matriculated

According to US News for Fall 2005:

Instate: 183 int, 102 accepted, 65 matriculated
OOS: 348 int, 188 accepted, 75 matriculated

that sounds about right...there's about 60 illinois residents in our class of 140.

Just another tidbit about Loyola.

I met with Dean Nordstrom yesterday while I was shadowing a first year student. I was on fall break and decided to hang around and get a better feel for Loyola.

Anyways, she mentioned to me that almost 33% of this year's M1 class were taken off of the wait list. Tuition is a big reason as to why more people don't end up attending Loyola.
only 33%?!! Any advice on how to get off the alternate list!!!

only 33%?!! Any advice on how to get off the alternate list!!!

This is from 8+ years ago. I remember talking to Matt on interview day and he said usually 10-20% get off the waitlist depending on the year.

I assume you can continue to demonstrate interest by keeping them up to date with your activities and send them your grades (if you have updates).

Reactions: 1 user