Loyola U. Maryland or Xavier PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OpenPalm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now, I'm trying to decide between interviewing for these two programs on the same day and I'm hoping the board can help me out in making this decision. So far, the schools are dead tied in my preference.

My current thoughts:
I think Xavier is a bit more prestigious and that prestige is tied into the fact that it focuses heavily on research. I'm more interested in the practice focus of a Psy.D., though I'd be more than willing to do some extra research for good internship opportunities in the future. Xavier is also cheaper and seems like they have more financial aid opportunities than LUM. The class load is also lighter in the winter/spring because of summer classes, which lessens the burden of those semesters on average. More time to work on the thesis in the 4th/5th year

Loyola is in an area I would like to live in more. Baltimore is a more diverse and culturally strong area than Cincinnati. There's also more Jewish life there (important for me personally, but the difference isn't gigantic.) With the selection of internships I'll be more likely to find a better internship for me. I like the idea of being able to go back home to California in the summer (there's nothing like a California summer.)

Any relevant information about the two that you know that's not on their websites would be very helpful. I'll have to take the hand of one of them to dance (and the other will get a phone interview,) so please help me choose one of these fine suitors :)

Members don't see this ad.

I kind of have the same problem....except I already accepted an interview at GWU for Feb. 19, but I really wanted to go to Xavier's interview day too!

I emailed Xavier and they said they do not have any other day....Did they say they would accept a phone interview? I haven't emailed them back asking if I could do a phone interview yet....

I attended Loyola MD so my perspective is probably pretty biased so I won't weigh in on which program is better, more prestigious, etc. I will say that the Loyola interview is weighted very heavily in the decision making process because the program is small and the department strives for a real "family feel" amongst the doctoral students and faculty. I am guessing that a phone interview at Loyola might put you at a significant disadvantage (but I don't know this for certain). I can't speak for how Xavier handles phone vs. in-person interviews.

One other matter that may be important to you is the socio-political environment each city provides. I am pretty familiar with Cincinnati (went to undergrad not far from there and have close friends who live there). My experience is that it is a very socially and politically conservative city and tends to be more southern than midwestern culturally. Baltimore is fairly "provincial" as people from this area like to say but is much more liberal than Cincy.

Hope that helps, and good luck witht he decision-making process!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dynapsyc, and anyone else,

Instead of creating a whole new thread, I was wondering if anyone (current students, alumni, even other applicants) can give us insight into the program at Loyola (MD). Primarily (at this point), what can we expect on interview day? Any recommendations or tips?

Thanks in advance!

yess i would like to know too, about the interview! :)

^^ Ditto and any other insight into the program as well.

I'm a current student in XU's program. FYI you are not required to attend interview day and it does not hurt your chances of acceptance or waitlist.

Also, regarding the more conservative climate in Cincinnati - that is absolutely true. I have never felt that influence from the faculty at Xavier though. They are more typically liberal in thought and deed as are most academics.