LPC vs MSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tshielad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently in my 2nd year of my Mental Health Counseling Program. I am considering staying another year to get my MSW for a better job outlook in the future. I wanted to know if you know anyone that has both Master's degree or what you think about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am currently in my 2nd year of my Mental Health Counseling Program. I am considering staying another year to get my MSW for a better job outlook in the future. I wanted to know if you know anyone that has both Master's degree or what you think about it?

Are you looking for training in a particular area that your existing program might not offer (for example, grant writing), or a marketable credential? If you stay for a third year and get the MSW, are you planning to get both licenses, or only the LCSW (or whatever they call it in your state)?

Think about what you hope the MSW would add, and whether the curriculum at the MSW program actually provides the kind of preparation and support you need. I guess the "better job outlook" might depend upon what kind of job(s) you intend to seek and what hiring practices look like in your geographic region, etc. It seems like some social workers predominate in some regions of the country, while other types of masters practitioners are more prevalent in others.