LSE MSc in Health Economics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thaura12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I recently graduated a top 15 university in the US where I studied international affairs/international health.

My ultimate plan is to pursue a PhD in health policy/related field. Obviously, health economics is an important aspect of sound health policy and I think that I lack a solid background in economics (only took intro micro/macro as core requirement in undergrad),

After graduating, I therefore thought it would be a good idea to bolster my economic understanding and I applied to the London School of Economics - MSc in International Health Policy (Health Economics stream) - as well as a joint degree between the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and LSE - MSc in Health Policy, Planning & Financing.

I have been awarded funding from LSE (50% of tuitition) for the degree in health economics, so I am currently leaning towards doing that one. The program is one year and covers quite in-depth topics in health economics (at least for someone with little econ background).

I was wondering whether people thought this would be a good investment? I don't plan on focusing on health economics for my PhD and therefore personally think that the one-year MSc would serve me quite well and complement my educational background and CV for future employers. It has also always been my opinion that LSE is a world-renowned institution and a leader in the social sciences/economics. I know LSHTM is highly-renowned as well, but the money issue is a big deal for me. Also, since they are sister schools I would able to pursue classes at LSHTM even if I am only enrolled at LSE.

I would love to hear people's comments/advice for my situation.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey!

I was looking at doing the same thing next year. What did you end up doing?