LSU Applicants c/o 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where did you do your undergrad?

Ha that's a good question, and I think the best answer would be "all over." I did some at NWACC while in high school, some across the pond at Oxford, and some here in my hometown at the U of A but my degree is from Hendrix... so I'm pretty scattered :laugh: You?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be driving from Fayetteville, AR if anyone wants to carpool!

I'll be heading down with my dad from Cabot. But I'll be a UofA grad in may

Members don't see this ad :)
All,
As we have time on our hands while not in classes, can anyone tell me about the conjugation of the verb 'geaux'?
What's the infinitive? The preterit? Is there a conjugation at all?
Seems like something one should know before heading to BR in February.

To geaux:

Past: Already done gon', chere
Present: Geaux
Future: Fixin' ta geaux

To geaux:

Past: Already done gon', chere
Present: Geaux
Future: Fixin' ta geaux

Thank you! Also to Nechochwen for the very practical advice. It was the future especially that had me hung up. Here in West Texas we say "a-fixin' to"

Regards to all.

What's a good hotel close to campus? And cheap, of course :)

Last edited:
Anyone know when ISers are supposed to find out about interviews? I just got an acceptance yesterday, an interview invite today, have an interview on Sunday, and should hear whether I got an interview tomorrow or Monday, so I'd kind of like to complete the set. Plus, y'know, this is my IS and kind of the most important.

Anyone know when ISers are supposed to find out about interviews? I just got an acceptance yesterday, an interview invite today, have an interview on Sunday, and should hear whether I got an interview tomorrow or Monday, so I'd kind of like to complete the set. Plus, y'know, this is my IS and kind of the most important.

I knew about mine around Feb 1 of last year. Interviewed on the 14th of Feb. :)

Status portal says IS interviews are tentatively scheduled Feb. 4-6 this year, so (if past years are any indicator) invitations will go out about two weeks before then. So... about a week from now. :xf:

Congrats on your acceptance and other interviews!! That's awesome.

What's a good hotel close to campus? And cheap, of course :)

There are a bunch around College Dr./Lee Dr. and I-10, which is about 10-15 minutes from campus. Wherever you stay, find a couple ways to get to campus in case traffic on side roads/the interstate is bad (frequent occurence!).

NB: College and Lee are the same road, it just has two names depending on which side of Perkins Rd. you're on. This is A Thing in BR...

There are a bunch around College Dr./Lee Dr. and I-10, which is about 10-15 minutes from campus. Wherever you stay, find a couple ways to get to campus in case traffic on side roads/the interstate is bad (frequent occurence!).

Also: They have little traffic boxes with arms to control traffic through campus.

Last year, I drove the route to the vet school campus the night before (Sunday) to be sure I knew the route and time for the next day (Monday). I hit one of those boxes on Monday on my way to my interview and they wouldn't let me through. :eek:

They were like, "No, we can't do that. Just go loop back around such-and-such-roads, cut through such-and-such, and then you'll hit River Road and come out on the other side of the vet school."

I was like, "OMG I'm on a time schedule for an INTERVIEW and I am NOT from South Louisiana! I have no idea what you are talking about!! Just let me through!"

Of course they didn't. Luckily I left like an hour and a half before my interview time (when it was a 20 minute drive) because I'm a super weirdy about being late.

College and Lee are the same road, it just has two names depending on which side of Perkins Rd. you're on. This is A Thing in BR...

And it irritates me!

Thanks for the advise, guys! I booked a hotel close by and i'll check out the campus the night before :cool: :D

I got an interview invitation (IS)!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeomg yayyyyyyyyyyyy

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Wish I could say the same, but I'm having too much transcript trouble...

Woohooo! See you at Open House? :)

Highly doubtful, unfortunately. :( Usually work Saturdays.

Congrats jetikarabbit! Equineconstant, hope your transcript issues resolve soon. The process is stressful enough without something like that!

Highly doubtful, unfortunately. :( Usually work Saturdays.

Congrats jetikarabbit! Equineconstant, hope your transcript issues resolve soon. The process is stressful enough without something like that!

I think it's working out. I managed to get my school to overnight it so it should be there by Monday. And then...:eek: I went to check my status and it had changed to "You are invited to interview!" No email or anything, so it's hard to believe, but SUCH a relief!

EDIT: Just read the Interview Prep page they link to, and it plugs SDN. :laugh:

Last edited:
Is there a tour or any other presentation stuff on interview days? Or at least, can there be a tour?

Is there a tour or any other presentation stuff on interview days? Or at least, can there be a tour?

I think February 2nd is the open house so i'm assuming there will be tours on that date for interviews. I hope there are tours!

Is anyone going to the Welcome Reception on Friday, February 1st? I'm not sure what to wear!

I think February 2nd is the open house so i'm assuming there will be tours on that date for interviews. I hope there are tours!

Is anyone going to the Welcome Reception on Friday, February 1st? I'm not sure what to wear!

I'll be there :)

I'll be there! Just going to wear a nice dress.

I've never actually been to Baton Rouge before. What's the best restaurant to eat at?

I've never actually been to Baton Rouge before. What's the best restaurant to eat at?

The best restaurant depends on a TON. :)

Do you like/want cajun food? What is your price range? How far are you wanting to go from your hotel/school?

Super good food down here. I've gained weight since moving down, haha. :)

That's what I was thinking of wearing too. I hope the weather is nice!

The best restaurant depends on a TON. :)

Do you like/want cajun food? What is your price range? How far are you wanting to go from your hotel/school?

Super good food down here. I've gained weight since moving down, haha. :)

The one thing I'm excited about besides the interview is DEFINITELY the food! I can't wait to try some real cajun food!

The one thing I'm excited about besides the interview is DEFINITELY the food! I can't wait to try some real cajun food!

Highly recommend Parrain's on Perkins. Absolutely MOUTHWATERING.

Tony's Seafood (Plank Road) has the best freakin' boudin balls in BR. It's essentially take-out and a cajun grocery (plate lunches and the like; no seating), but you DEFINITELY want to taste those balls before you leave.

Heard good things about Boutin's (Bluebonnet), but never been there myself. Apparently it's solely cajun/creole food and zydeco music.

Chimes (Highland; Chimes East --Coursey) is the place to go if you want a bar/pub with excellent selection of beer and good home-style cajun. It's a little loud and definitely a hot spot for everyone to go...as long as you don't mind crowds!

Speaking of beer, if you like it....go to The Bulldog (Perkins). Huge selection of beer: local beer, obscure brands, and anything in between. :)

Highly recommend Parrain's on Perkins. Absolutely MOUTHWATERING.

Tony's Seafood (Plank Road) has the best freakin' boudin balls in BR. It's essentially take-out and a cajun grocery (plate lunches and the like; no seating), but you DEFINITELY want to taste those balls before you leave.

Heard good things about Boutin's (Bluebonnet), but never been there myself. Apparently it's solely cajun/creole food and zydeco music.

Chimes (Highland; Chimes East --Coursey) is the place to go if you want a bar/pub with excellent selection of beer and good home-style cajun. It's a little loud and definitely a hot spot for everyone to go...as long as you don't mind crowds!

Speaking of beer, if you like it....go to The Bulldog (Perkins). Huge selection of beer: local beer, obscure brands, and anything in between. :)

This is so great. I'm definitely going to have to check some of these places out while I'm in the area. Thank you so much!

My transcript is running late and i'm starting to freak out now because the system check wont open... Anyone else in the same situation?

My transcript is running late and i'm starting to freak out now because the system check wont open... Anyone else in the same situation?

I noticed my system check wouldn't open yesterday and it continued to not open today. I figured they were having technical difficulties, and I would just check back tomorrow. If not, we should e-mail them and see what is going on !

EDIT: The LSU system check works for me now!

Last edited:
Okay, Interview Prep time guys. What is LSU known for as a Vet school? Does anyone know of any past questions that through you off? Anything else youre keying on?

I just booked my flights! Used up some miles so it cost less than $100 instead of over $1000--definitely a good use of them.

Okay, Interview Prep time guys. What is LSU known for as a Vet school? Does anyone know of any past questions that through you off? Anything else youre keying on?

Go check out the interview question feedback for LSU
(http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/lsu-svm/survey/26)

I put all the ones I could remember on there after my interview last year. Be aware that Open House is happening on the same day as OOS interviews. It can get a little hectic.

Known for? ...Mike the Tiger, maybe? ;)

I just booked my flights! Used up some miles so it cost less than $100 instead of over $1000--definitely a good use of them.

Wow, where are you coming in from?

Go check out the interview question feedback for LSU
(http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/lsu-svm/survey/26)

I put all the ones I could remember on there after my interview last year. Be aware that Open House is happening on the same day as OOS interviews. It can get a little hectic.

Known for? ...Mike the Tiger, maybe? ;)

Wow, where are you coming in from?

One of the doctors I worked with (a recent LSU graduate) had worked with Mike the Tiger while she was there. We were in a small animal clinic, but that experience helped her work with the fractious cats!

And I'm flying from Albany. I swear flights are usually cheaper...I think it's because it's relatively short notice and because people will pay a lot of money to go to New Orleans around the Super Bowl.

And I'm flying from Albany. I swear flights are usually cheaper...I think it's because it's relatively short notice and because people will pay a lot of money to go to New Orleans around the Super Bowl.

Yikes. Bad planning on LSU's part. Really? Superbowl weekend when Superbowl is in NO? I hadn't even thought of that.

So sorry. :(

If any of you out-of-staters would like to get together before/after your interview for dinner while you're in town, please PM me. :)

I'd love to meet you and extend a welcome! :)

I didn't even think about the super bowl. That would explain the crazy hotel prices in Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

I didn't even think about the super bowl. That would explain the crazy hotel prices in Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

Yup! I didn't think of it either until my dad dropped me off at the airport to go back to school and there were superbowl advertisements everywhere. Luckily I can just stay with my family and don't have to pay for a hotel AND flights.

Does anyone know when LSU is sending out acceptances? On the 15th?

Tracking page says middle to end of February, although rejections could go out earlier.

Does anyone know when LSU is sending out acceptances? On the 15th?

Jared sent an email the other day that said that all offer of acceptances will be made by Feb 19th.

So I've had my transcript sent two times and its still not there (with enough time in advance) :scared: :confused: :eek: :mad: I'm so stressed about that. They need to see it before the interview! Anyone in the same situation?

So i've asked this questions before, but I'm still unsure of what to wear to the Welcome Reception on Friday. I was thinking a dress, but its not supposed to be too warm. Then I was thinking jeans but I think that's too casual. help!

So i've asked this questions before, but I'm still unsure of what to wear to the Welcome Reception on Friday. I was thinking a dress, but its not supposed to be too warm. Then I was thinking jeans but I think that's too casual. help!

They did not have a welcome reception for interviewees that are in state. So I haven't been. I would assume anything would be fine within reason. Jeans would probably be okay as long as they were dark jeans and worn with a nice blouse and dressy shoes.

Personally, I would probably go with slacks, blouse, and a sweater. (It supposed to be cold)

But a dress would be perfectly acceptable as well. :)

Wear whatever you're comfortable in. And shoes that you are okay to walk in. The school isn't all that big, but there are lots of stairs.

I went in 2009. I remember being a bit more dressed up than most people, but I'd rather be on that side of the spectrum than the more casual side. I wore the pants I wore the next day for my interview (so nice black slacks), with a cardigan. For the interview I wore a pants suit with a silk blouse underneath the suit jacket. Wearing the same pants to the reception and interview made it so that I packed light, which is always a goal of mine :)

They did not have a welcome reception for interviewees that are in state. So I haven't been. I would assume anything would be fine within reason. Jeans would probably be okay as long as they were dark jeans and worn with a nice blouse and dressy shoes.

Personally, I would probably go with slacks, blouse, and a sweater. (It supposed to be cold)

But a dress would be perfectly acceptable as well. :)

Wear whatever you're comfortable in. And shoes that you are okay to walk in. The school isn't all that big, but there are lots of stairs.

I went in 2009. I remember being a bit more dressed up than most people, but I'd rather be on that side of the spectrum than the more casual side. I wore the pants I wore the next day for my interview (so nice black slacks), with a cardigan. For the interview I wore a pants suit with a silk blouse underneath the suit jacket. Wearing the same pants to the reception and interview made it so that I packed light, which is always a goal of mine :)

I'm trying to pack light too so the slacks with a blouse is good advice! And i'll definitely be sure to wear comfortable shoes now. Don't wanna be in pain all day during the Open House and Interview!

I'm so excited! :soexcited:

Last edited:
I hope everyone is going to the welcoming reception tonight!

I hope everyone is going to the welcoming reception tonight!

haha, I got the email saying everyone should come to the reception quickly followed by the "whoops, we only meant OOSers" email. Couldn't come anyway 'cause I'm in Philly atm. :p

How did you all do on your interview?
Mine was on feb 2nd at 1:00pm and I think it went really well! But Afterwards I kept thinking of other things I could have told them, lol. Oh, well.
Anyways, anyone who wants to add me on fb, PM me!

Last edited:
I've been looking at the interview feedback in preparation for tomorrow and am trying to figure out what I need to say to introduce myself. I'm considering throwing in something sort of random at the end: my favorite Christmas present this year was a New Orleans cookbook. Think it's a good idea?