LSU c/o 2018 Applicants!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also got an interview! I currently work at the school and I heard that there was a record number of applicants this year, so that may explain getting an interview last year, but not this year. I do not know how many in state applicants are interviewed, but I was wondering as well. It says they interview the top two-thirds, so I am guessing it is around 100 people.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
So apparently it was an error in the system!! I DID get granted an interview! Jared emailed me telling me this! haha

Reactions: 1 users
So, I am going to decline my interview. Hopefully, someone else will get my spot!!

Members don't see this ad :)
privera3 the same thing happened to me; got an interview last year and rejected this year. Then Jared emailed me and said I got one. haha. How nerve wracking.

Hey y'all I got an interview this year but I am unable to physically be there so I let Jared know and I'm doing a Skype interview. Has anyone done a Skype interview before and know of anyone who has? I just want to know what I should be expecting!! Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I've been reading the Interview Information document LSU provided. By nature I am not a political person, so I'm worried about questions concerning ethical dilemmas and "Knowledge of the profession (economics, opportunities, trends, etc)". I probably know more than I think I do, but I would like to find a good place to read about everything under such topics. Ideas?

I've been reading the Interview Information document LSU provided. By nature I am not a political person, so I'm worried about questions concerning ethical dilemmas and "Knowledge of the profession (economics, opportunities, trends, etc)". I probably know more than I think I do, but I would like to find a good place to read about everything under such topics. Ideas?

NVM! lol all it took was looking up on AVMA's website. But I'm still all ears!

NVM! lol all it took was looking up on AVMA's website. But I'm still all ears!

It sounds like they are looking for job market kind of stuff. Like what is the job outlook for a new graduate from veterinary school and having some alternatives to practice wouldn't be a bad idea.

It sounds like they are looking for job market kind of stuff. Like what is the job outlook for a new graduate from veterinary school and having some alternatives to practice wouldn't be a bad idea.

Thanks. That is good food for thought.

I had a similar question in my interview - they seemed like they wanted to see if I was aware of how much debt I might go into, what I thought I would be earning after graduation, if I had considered going into a specialty, etc. Basically "do you know what you're getting yourself into". Haha. I also was kind of prompted into discussing human pharmacies filling veterinary prescriptions, and the risks/benefits to that.

As mentioned previously, LSU does blind interviews, so your interviewers (I had a group of three interviewers ... who I don't think I've seen since) know nothing about you when you walk in the room. So definitely have an idea of how you would answer "tell us a little about yourself".

Does anyone know how many OOS applicants were selected for an interview and how many they generally accept?

The top 1/3 of the 150 OOS applicants that went to the folder review stage are invited to interview. OOS students usually make up around 15 out of 88ish students in the incoming class.

I was wondering if anyone knew how many Louisiana residents they interview, since they accept 64?

Of the roughly 150-200 applicants each year from LA and AR, the top 2/3 are interviewed.

#statisticsgenie

Little late to this thread and the SDN in general, but I'm out of state and got an interview! I also had the error with my interview invitation coming up, so I was SO excited when I got that email saying there had been an error! I'm super excited but also super nervous since they take so few out of staters!

Anyone excited for interviews next week? I'm a bit nervous about traveling but I really want to check out Baton Rouge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very excited! I can't wait to see the vet school and the rest of the campus. And especially Mike the Tiger! :D

I was wondering if any of you guys knew anymore about the concentrations in the LSU vet school? I can't find any information about them on their website, only what's listed on the TigerDVMforums page thing.

I was wondering if any of you guys knew anymore about the concentrations in the LSU vet school? I can't find any information about them on their website, only what's listed on the TigerDVMforums page thing.

I'm a little fuzzy on the details myself, so I might be wrong on some of this:
First and second years and the fall semester of third year are almost all lecture-based classes, with some labs as part of those classes (except anatomy, which is mostly lab with some lecture). This is referred to as "Phase I" of the curriculum. Starting spring semester of third year, you start Phase II, which works more like the degree plans most undergrad schools follow. There are core classes that everyone must take to graduate, but the rest of your schedule is classes in your concentration/electives, and eventually clinical rotations. Until you get to Phase II, you get very little say in the classes you take. With the exception of a couple of electives here and there, the whole class has the same schedule handed down from on high, and ya just sit down and learn what they tell you to learn. ;)

The current concentrations are:
Small animal
Large/food animal
Mixed animal
Equine
Public practice (government/corporate/lab)
Avian, zoo, exotic animal

Phase I overview: http://www1.vetmed.lsu.edu/PDFs/Phase II Student Handbook/item60845.pdf
Phase II concentration sheets: http://www1.vetmed.lsu.edu/PDFs/Phase II Student Handbook/item45504.pdf

Do you have to pick a concentration? I have no idea. When do you choose one? Yup, no idea.

Oh, and looking forward to meeting some of you at interviews/Open House this weekend! I have family coming into town, so I'll only be around until about 9am. But if you have any questions about the school/you get turned around in the maze of hallways, the other current students will be wearing blue lab coats and will be happy to help you out. There will also be current students around in the pre-interview holding corral if you need to get some pre-interview reassurance (or post-interview high fives). :)

Do you have to pick a concentration? I have no idea. When do you choose one? Yup, no idea.
From what it sounds like from my roommate and other third years, I believe you do have to pick one (I think "not picking one" means "mixed," more or less), and you choose when you schedule your rotations. Which I think is in first semester of third year, but I'm not exactly sure when.
Oh, and looking forward to meeting some of you at interviews/Open House this weekend! I have family coming into town, so I'll only be around until about 9am. But if you have any questions about the school/you get turned around in the maze of hallways, the other current students will be wearing blue lab coats and will be happy to help you out. There will also be current students around in the pre-interview holding corral if you need to get some pre-interview reassurance (or post-interview high fives). :)
Seconded on this! Come visit me in pathology in the morning or in Respiratory Physiology from 2-4. :)

Last edited:
Awesome! Thank you for your information, it's more than I knew before. I can't wait to be there tomorrow for dinner and Saturday for interviews! :D

I haven't gotten the best news this week, but getting an interview here as an OOS resident is extremely hard. That is what I'm telling myself as the time creeps closer. Let's do this! And to Victoria, they interview the top 2/3 of the people who applied since all y'all get folder reviews so it'll depend on how many people applied this year.

I hope everyone's interviews went well! And Mike was beyond adorable :3

excited to start hearing! about a week they said but still constantly refreshing my status :)

Good luck everyone!! I decided to decline my interview a few weeks ago and I hope it wasn't to late for someone to get my spot!

Wow a week really?! I just heard by the end of February. Scary but exciting!

On another random note one current student told me they once had a cat use the underwater treadmill for rehab, have any of you heard of this? Seems like it would have to he a very tolerant cat
i have heard of this at other schools. it's obviously not for every cat but it's a good therapy for those that do tolerate it

I absolutely LOVE the school and can't wait to hear back! They said "end of February" though! Ah!

I got accepted too! Shows up in the status check online!

Question for those who got accepted (congrats by the way), are you considered IS or OOS? My status page hasn't changed so I was just wondering.

I don't think they send decisions all at once though so don't worry if yours hasn't changed it doesn't mean anything I don't think

Question for those who got accepted (congrats by the way), are you considered IS or OOS? My status page hasn't changed so I was just wondering.
Cloverbug, I am an out of state applicant.
But don't worry, I believe most acceptances are given towards the end of February!

Oh cool, thanks for getting to me so quickly. Congrats on getting it. I'm OOS too so I was just wondering if they were doing the IS first or everyone all at once type deal. I guess it's refreshing the portal a bunch this week time.

Oh cool, thanks for getting to me so quickly. Congrats on getting it. I'm OOS too so I was just wondering if they were doing the IS first or everyone all at once type deal. I guess it's refreshing the portal a bunch this week time.

Hey Cloverbug, when was your interview? I met a girl from Arizona when I was waiting to be called in the holding room, just curious if it was you :)

Hey Cloverbug, when was your interview? I met a girl from Arizona when I was waiting to be called in the holding room, just curious if it was you :)
Mine was on the 8th at 3:40. I was with my friend from Puerto Rico who had one at 2:20.

The whole Vet Med site has been down all day! It's been driving me insane.

How did everyone's interview go? Mine didn't go as well as I had hoped because I was so nervous. Does anyone know someone that got in with a not so good interview?

How did everyone's interview go? Mine didn't go as well as I had hoped because I was so nervous. Does anyone know someone that got in with a not so good interview?

Mine was alright, I felt like they were kind of discouraging about my future plans after vet school (zoo medicine) because I don't have much zoo experience at the moment. But they were nice enough and they smiled most of the time so I have no idea :p I answered their questions as best I could so that's all I could do! And I don't know about people getting in with not so good interviews, I don't really know anyone who goes there unfortunately.