LSU SVM Class of 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here. I'm rejected.

Members don't see this ad.

They passed up on some awesome candidates. Their loss.

Reactions: 5 users
So, I contacted them to ask where I ranked (because curiosity was literally killing this cat), but they won't tell me; however, they did say I was in the top half of the 590 out of state applicants.... I guess it's better that I don't know because I'd probably die if I was number 151. :wow:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a second time applicant. I applied last year and made it to the interview process but was rejected. This process is soooo painstakingly difficult especially the waiting part! Keeping my fingers crossed I get another interview this time around!!!

So, I contacted them to ask where I ranked (because curiosity was literally killing this cat), but they won't tell me; however, they did say I was in the top half of the 590 out of state applicants.... I guess it's better that I don't know because I'd probably die if I was number 151. :wow:

When I did my folder review with Jared after applying he stressed numerous times they weren't allowed to ever say where people were ranked. So frustrating! but understandable I guess o_O

Got rejected a while ago too... Hurts, but still waiting for others. Good luck everybody

It's a little early, but if anyone is coming to BR for an interview, let me/the other current students know! We would love to meet you and are happy to answer any questions you have. :)

Reactions: 2 users
When I did my folder review with Jared after applying he stressed numerous times they weren't allowed to ever say where people were ranked. So frustrating! but understandable I guess o_O

Can you do a folder review if you don't even get an interview? I'd love to know what killed me.

I got an update today too. "No longer under consideration"

So frustrating and upsetting! I was granted an interview last year but not this year. I know interviews are not guaranteed but it's just so confusing to me, especially since I improved both GPAs and my GRE score from last application cycle =(

Can you do a folder review if you don't even get an interview? I'd love to know what killed me.

Yep! It should have said when your status system updated. Jared doesn't start taking appointments til May though and won't start scheduling til April 15th.

Waitlisted here as well which sucks but at least there's still a chance. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. This is definitely one of my top-choice schools. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give up hope! I know of a person who didn't know she was in until July. Good luck to everyone!! Did they say when your interviews are? Hit me up with any questions. I'll be glad to help!

Awesome. We are having Open House that day. It's a must-see. :)

We will have the vet school open to the public with little demonstrations and stuff like that. The whole anatomy lab is going to be filled with demonstrations, plus there will be some stuff outside. Last year Mike VI was there, but who knows this year since he's been such a lazy guy. It will be kind of crazy, but cool.

Does anyone have tips for the interviews? I'm super nervous!

Does anyone have tips for the interviews? I'm super nervous!

If the format/scheduling is the same as recent years:
- You will have 3 interviewers. These may be vet school faculty/clinicians/residents, vets from the community, or visiting vets from other areas.
- It is closed folder, meaning they do not have access to the rest of your application, so when you walk in they know next to nothing about you. Be prepared to give them a short "tell us about yourself" spiel.
- Before your interview, you'll be in a "holding area" with other interviewees and some current students. Talk to them, especially current students. :) This is what got me to calm down and get rid of my pre-interview jitters.
- The interview will be about 20-30 minutes long. Look over the questions on the interview feedback page (http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/lsu-svm/survey/26#survey-result) for example questions from previous years. This was very helpful for me!
- Dress code is nicer business-style. If you'll be there during Open House (Jan. 31) and want to check it out, bring along a change of clothes/pair of shoes that are comfortable for walking.
- On weekdays, some roads through LSU's main campus are closed to the public. Regardless of day, know several ways to get to the vet school, and leave early. Traffic can be unpredictable in Baton Rouge.

I'm sure you've heard it a ton, but there's no need to be nervous (though you will be anyhow). Everyone at LSU is super nice. Only a couple of the interviewers from last year asked hard questions, which were typically ethics questions. Personally, I just tried to make my interviewers smile. Remember they won't bite. The ONLY question I was asked was what I thought a typical day of a vet student was. The rest was just a conversation. Be open-minded, and be yourself. Congrats on getting an interview! Good luck!

What time do we get there tomorrow? I don't interview until the afternoon but I can't find an itinerary. It sounds like we're on our own for tours?

I would like to know more about the facilities and equipment at LSU SVM. I saw the equine treadmill (awesome!) and the lameness pavilion at open house and a pic of a dog underwater treadmill, but what other cool stuff will students have a chance to work with?

The seat chart is up on the portal. They are accepting 65 IS applicants this year. I believe approximately 115 of us interviewed. Good Luck to everyone.

The seat chart is up on the portal. They are accepting 65 IS applicants this year. I believe approximately 115 of us interviewed. Good Luck to everyone.

Thanks for the update! This waiting game is pretty nerve wrecking though. Did you interview this week? How do you think you did?

Thanks for the update! This waiting game is pretty nerve wrecking though. Did you interview this week? How do you think you did?
I interviewed on Monday. I think I did aweful because of my nerves. I somewhat choked. This is my first application cycle. And you?

I interviewed on Monday. I think I did aweful because of my nerves. I somewhat choked. This is my first application cycle. And you?

I interviewed Tuesday, but I feel about the same. My interviewers were kind of intense and it made me really nervous. I'm sure you did fine though. The interviews are only worth about 10% so keep your hopes up! Hopefully we hear soon.

I interviewed Tuesday, but I feel about the same. My interviewers were kind of intense and it made me really nervous. I'm sure you did fine though. The interviews are only worth about 10% so keep your hopes up! Hopefully we hear soon.
May I ask what stats you are going in with? I understand if it's personal.

Prereq: 4.0
Last 45: 4.0
GRE: 308
What about you?
Well I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Prereq 3.65
Last 45 3.4
GRE 302
This doesn't include my Fall 2014 grades. I'll fair better next time if I'm not accepted.

Well I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Prereq 3.65
Last 45 3.4
GRE 302
This doesn't include my Fall 2014 grades. I'll fair better next time if I'm not accepted.

I think no matter how good your grades are you're still going to worry haha. Both of our stats are competitive though and there's so many other factors in the application that could influence their decision. Hopefully we'll hear some good news soon!

So I found this site while googling around for interview tips a month ago (wish I'd found it sooner in the application process). I've decided it's way past due to stop lurking now that I have a couple of acceptances :). Are there any other people who've been accepted OOS hanging around here? I loved the school when I visited, and it's pretty much my top choice, but I want to get a better sense of the zoo/exotics opportunities from any current students if possible.

I go to school here, but I'm just a first year, so I'll try to find someone who will know more than I do about it to post on here, Kore13. Hope you guys heard back and all is well!

I go to school here, but I'm just a first year, so I'll try to find someone who will know more than I do about it to post on here, Kore13. Hope you guys heard back and all is well!
Thanks!

Anyone with an acceptance? I want to meet some of my new classmates!
LSU SVM c/o 2019

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone with an acceptance? I want to meet some of my new classmates!
LSU SVM c/o 2019
I'm ~99% sure I'm accepting my LSU offer. Super excited!

I'm ~99% sure I'm accepting my LSU offer. Super excited!
Hooray!! I wonder if someone is going to make a Facebook page or something for everyone. I'm so ready to start haha

The online status check page has finally updated with new numbers: 10/65 IS confirmations, 0/9 Arkansas confirmations, and 2/15 OOS confirmations. C'mon, turn down those offers and get that waitlist moving! ;)

So I found this site while googling around for interview tips a month ago (wish I'd found it sooner in the application process). I've decided it's way past due to stop lurking now that I have a couple of acceptances :). Are there any other people who've been accepted OOS hanging around here? I loved the school when I visited, and it's pretty much my top choice, but I want to get a better sense of the zoo/exotics opportunities from any current students if possible.

Did someone say zoo/exotics? *pulls up a chair* YES LET ME TELL YOU THE THINGS :D

Anything in particular you want to know?

Did someone say zoo/exotics? *pulls up a chair* YES LET ME TELL YOU THE THINGS :D

Anything in particular you want to know?

Basically just what the opportunities to get involved are and when you can access those opportunities. How are the electives, how soon can you start taking the electives, how soon can you start getting involved with the BZEM and to what degree, how the professors and clinicians are, etc. My all time favorite vet I've shadowed, who is a fantastic SA/exotic vet, did his clinical year at LSU and loved the program and opportunities, but that was 10 years ago and he had most of his experience with Dr. Mitchell, who I know isn't there anymore. So I would like to get a more up to date overview. I really want to go here, since I like the class size and felt like this was the friendliest/warmest (people and weather :)) of the vet schools I visited, so I just need it to be confirmed in academic terms why I should go here instead of KSU (accepted) and UofI (if I get in). My big pro for Kansas is that there's a lot of microbiology/public health work done there, and my pro for Illinois is that I like that they jump right into clinics first year, so if you could also highlight how LSU provides similar opportunities that would be fantastic!

Just withdrew from the LSU waitlist, I hope it gets moving for you guys! Good luck and stay positive :)

Basically just what the opportunities to get involved are and when you can access those opportunities. How are the electives, how soon can you start taking the electives, how soon can you start getting involved with the BZEM and to what degree, how the professors and clinicians are, etc. My all time favorite vet I've shadowed, who is a fantastic SA/exotic vet, did his clinical year at LSU and loved the program and opportunities, but that was 10 years ago and he had most of his experience with Dr. Mitchell, who I know isn't there anymore. So I would like to get a more up to date overview. I really want to go here, since I like the class size and felt like this was the friendliest/warmest (people and weather :)) of the vet schools I visited, so I just need it to be confirmed in academic terms why I should go here instead of KSU (accepted) and UofI (if I get in). My big pro for Kansas is that there's a lot of microbiology/public health work done there, and my pro for Illinois is that I like that they jump right into clinics first year, so if you could also highlight how LSU provides similar opportunities that would be fantastic!

Argh, sorry, I just realized I never replied to this. :/

Pass/fail electives happen at the end of spring semester of first year and second year. The VMED 5010 classes listed at the bottom are what have been offered in the past: http://www1.vetmed.lsu.edu/Admissions/General SVM Information/Curriculum/item26680.html As far as I know, there's an exotics-related class offered every year.

In spring semester of second year, we have an avian/exotics class - regular grading applies, and everyone takes this. There's a little exotics med sprinkled in several other classes too - clinical pathology, anesthesiology, farm animal (if you count alpacas/llamas and pot-bellied pigs as exotics, anyway).

Tracking (the vet school equivalent of pursuing a major) and clinical experience starts early spring semester of third year. (https://www1.vetmed.lsu.edu/PDFs/Phase II Student Handbook/item45504.pdf) If you want to do exotics/zoo/wildlife exclusive, you'll get the most experience in the avian/zoo/exotics concentration. If you want to have broader experience - some small or large animal - it was recommended to us to choose the mixed animal concentration. During third and fourth year, you also do a 2-3? clinical externships for several weeks each, typically at outside hospitals/zoos or at other vet schools. I'm a little fuzzy on the details of 3rd/4th years still, but there's more info here if you want to look through it: https://www1.vetmed.lsu.edu/SVM/Current Students/Phase 2 Student Handbook/item43912.html

Outside of academics, we have a very active Wildlife Avian Zoo Exotics Medicine club (WAZEM for short). This semester we've had at least 1 speaker and 1 wet lab/field trip every month. The Wildlife Hospital (part of BZEM) also has a raptor rehabilitation program, and you can volunteer to care for the non-releaseable birds as early as fall semester of first year. Or you could start this summer, if you or anyone else reading this gets to Baton Rouge early, and if so please send me a message because we could really use some help over the summer. ;) You can also volunteer to help care for the bazillions of baby squirrels who come into the hospital, and typically they recruit first years to care for the majority of them during fall semester.

Last edited:
Tracking (the vet school equivalent of pursuing a major) and clinical experience starts early spring semester of third year.
LSU has a tracking system? To what extent is it different from other universities that have core requirements throughout the full DVM program but offer opportunities to insert electives in the later years?