LSU-SVM Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Me too!!! Does anyone know how many people they interview?

I'm OOS and I know they usually interview the top third of the people they select to go on to folder review, but not sure about IS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an alternate. Did they reject anybody out of the top 150 OOS or did they just designate them an alternate if they weren't granted an interview?

I'm an alternate. Did they reject anybody out of the top 150 OOS or did they just designate them an alternate if they weren't granted an interview?

They have to reject some at least. There's normally something on the upside of 600 OOS applicants.

Ok so looking at previous threads, the stats are that the top 1/3 of folder reviewed OOS gets interviewed (idk about the wait list!) and the top 2/3 IS gets interviewed. Doesn't answer the wait list question but maybe it'll give you a better idea.

Ok so looking at previous threads, the stats are that the top 1/3 of folder reviewed OOS gets interviewed (idk about the wait list!) and the top 2/3 IS gets interviewed. Doesn't answer the wait list question but maybe it'll give you a better idea.
Thanks for looking into that. I guess I just need to hope I'm at the top of the bottom 2/3 OOS.

For those of you who were granted interviews, are you going to the Welcoming Reception the night before? If so, any idea what the dress code is? It says business attire for the interview, but I did not see anything about the reception.

For those of you who were granted interviews, are you going to the Welcoming Reception the night before? If so, any idea what the dress code is? It says business attire for the interview, but I did not see anything about the reception.

There's a reception? Where's the information about this??

It's mentioned in the check system in the current status box.

I'm planning on going, but I'm not sure of the dress code either. Hopefully they send out more info closer to time. If not we can email or call the admissions office about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just notified yesterday that I have now been invited for an interview on February 20th! OOS

I was just notified yesterday that I have now been invited for an interview on February 20th! OOS

I cancelled my interview the other day, I hope you got my spot! :)

Reactions: 1 users
So I just noticed in the bottom corner of the pdf of the welcome reception invitation it says that casual dress is fine. Wasn't sure if you had seen it it yet since I just did!

Aaaahhh I'm so excited for you all. :) :) :) If I'm not on call for clinics Feb. 20 I'll try to make it to Open House to talk with some of you in the holding room pre-interview or I'll be hanging out with the critters in the raptor rehab or exotic pet rooms.

Residency application: UGH yes I had to do that too. I applied and was accepted IS but was super close to the cut off date for residency, so I had to prove I was a resident. But count yourselves lucky to find out now - I didn't get notice of that until right before fall semester. Nothing like having to write some essays and send in a bunch of documents right before school starts to up the stress level of first year...

I'm excited because my interview got moved to World Spay Day :love:

I'm a first year OOS student, I'll also be at raptors and the WAZEM (exotic club) room for most of the day, but I'll try to come up to the room to talk to some of you and give you a first year OOS persepective. I'm very very out of state, so I can give you some insight on the whole "I'm 1500 miles away from home and I can't understand what anyone is saying and I suddenly owe tens of thousands of dollars to the government and what do you mean there are drive through daiquiri stores here how is that legal?" culture shock experience.

I'm a first year OOS student, I'll also be at raptors and the WAZEM (exotic club) room for most of the day, but I'll try to come up to the room to talk to some of you and give you a first year OOS persepective. I'm very very out of state, so I can give you some insight on the whole "I'm 1500 miles away from home and I can't understand what anyone is saying and I suddenly owe tens of thousands of dollars to the government and what do you mean there are drive through daiquiri stores here how is that legal?" culture shock experience.

Don't forget about the law that says you can have containers in the car as long as there's no straw. Most places tape up the cups.

Interestingly enough, a lot of small towns here in North LA are dry. You can't even get beer at Walmart in some places. But those daiquiri stores usually would pop up right outside of town limits. That way it'd be a short yet conveient trip to get liquor just out of town. That's how they gained so much traction in the bigger cities and down south.

Honestly South Louisiana is a very different world from anywhere else. I'm from close to the AR state line. My brother moved to Laffayette for a few years and came back with a new accent, new vocabulary, and new taste buds. It's like he went to a different country. They have so much culture that the North side of the state doesn't have. I'm excited to experience it.

Pahaha. I'm originally from Little Rock, Arkansas - we moved here when I was 7, and I remember my parents being astonished by the drive-through daiquiri places and the like. The whole thing was definitely a culture shock. South Louisiana is a world of its own.

So I just noticed in the bottom corner of the pdf of the welcome reception invitation it says that casual dress is fine. Wasn't sure if you had seen it it yet since I just did!
Thank you. I had not seen that, but now that you point it out am feeling foolish. lol
Now to figure out what is meant by "casual."

Thank you. I had not seen that, but now that you point it out am feeling foolish. lol
Now to figure out what is meant by "casual."
I didn't see it the first time I read it either haha I had to actually look for it. I think casual can be whatever you make it. I wouldn't wear yoga pants but I wouldn't wear a suit either. Im gonna shoot for somewhere in between!

To OOS residents who were granted interviews or have been accepted in the past: Out of curiosity, what are your GPA and GRE stats? Just trying to figure out where I may fall on the alternate list. My GPAs: Last 45 credit hours: 3.7 and required courses: 3.88. My GRE is 304. I'm wait-listed at my IS, too, so I'm losing hope quickly.

To OOS residents who were granted interviews or have been accepted in the past: Out of curiosity, what are your GPA and GRE stats? Just trying to figure out where I may fall on the alternate list. My GPAs: Last 45 credit hours: 3.7 and required courses: 3.88. My GRE is 304. I'm wait-listed at my IS, too, so I'm losing hope quickly.
My required gpa was a 3.87. My last 45 was a 3.95 and my gre score was a 311. Don't be discouraged. It's super uncommon to be offered an interview or accepted the first time (I'm guessing you are a first time applicant). Keep trying!

From what I understood from my tour earlier this year, They throw out all GPA and GRE scores for OOS applicants after the first cut is made. Then they make their interview invites based solely on supplemental application material such as essays, experience and LORs. If you're an OOS alternate, your grades were good enough to get past the initial cut.

Has anyone watched the presentation that is linked in status check? I'm watching now--very informative!

I'm glad you mentioned it, I'm watching it now. Some really good stuff here. (Also - congrats on your Mississippi acceptance!)
It's s good to watch before the interview because IS doesn't get this talk :( and thanks!! :)

I watched it a couple weeks ago. It made me feel so much better about being an OOS applicant. I can't believe that they eventually offered seats to all the OOS applicants that they interviewed two years ago! It was also really great to see what the curriculum looks like laid out. It's not very clear on the website. Needless to say, I am SO EXCITED to be there next weekend. I've never been to Louisiana before! And the weather looks amazing. haha

It's s good to watch before the interview because IS doesn't get this talk :( and thanks!! :)
Yeah, we IS people don't get all the bells and whistles with the application process haha. I might try to hit the open house Saturday after work just to be up there again before my interview that Monday though.
I watched it a couple weeks ago. It made me feel so much better about being an OOS applicant. I can't believe that they eventually offered seats to all the OOS applicants that they interviewed two years ago! It was also really great to see what the curriculum looks like laid out. It's not very clear on the website. Needless to say, I am SO EXCITED to be there next weekend. I've never been to Louisiana before! And the weather looks amazing. haha
That's awesome! I've lived here most of my life, and I have no plans to leave. Our weather is definitely interesting. The food is hard to beat.

The weather may look nice now, but I guarantee you'll probably see all four seasons if you stay at least two days. That's how we roll around here! I've seen 70 degree weather, sun, fog, a tornado, and snow flurries in a 24 hour period!

I'll be there Thursday to Sunday! (almost like spring break...but not!) And Michigan is the same way. I experienced snow, hail, sun, and fog all in the duration of one softball game. I would gladly take snow flurries over a foot of snow any day!

You make it sound like weather in Texas!

How does it work if you are wait-listed and then offered a seat after the decision deadline? Specifically, if you were lucky enough to be accepted elsewhere and then offered a seat off the wait list at your preferred school.
Looking forward to meeting the other OOS-ers next weekend! I looooove Louisiana and have been trying to find the right reason to move there for years.

I looooove Louisiana and have been trying to find the right reason to move there for years.

It's definitely a place of its own. I've grown up in north LA but it would be awesome to experience the south. Where I grew up was culturally meshed with East Texas. It would be nice to experience the more tropical weather and get to be close to NOLA!

Hey, what hotel did you guys book? I'm kind of confused on something. Forgive me if I'm naive because I've never visited campus... I booked Staybridge Suites, it's like 3 min from the vet school according to google maps. But I just noticed the teaching hospital is a separate building, and the packet says to go to the "Vet Building"... That's the building by the river right?

Hey, what hotel did you guys book? I'm kind of confused on something. Forgive me if I'm naive because I've never visited campus... I booked Staybridge Suites, it's like 3 min from the vet school according to google maps. But I just noticed the teaching hospital is a separate building, and the packet says to go to the "Vet Building"... That's the building by the river right?
Yep it's all the same building, there's just separate entrances. It's the one on Skip Bertman.

Anybody going to the open house tomorrow and want to meet up?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hi everyone, I emailed them last week and canceled my OOS interview offer as well. I hope someone gets my spot!

I wish I could. Is it shameful to say I've lived in LA my whole life, wanted to be a vet for quite some time, and have NEVER been to open house? If I wasn't so busy and wasn't going there Monday night anyways I'd consider making a day trip out of it.

I've never been to the open house either! If anyone would like a ride, I'd be more than happy to pick people up from their hotel or whatever...always nice to have a buddy! I'm from New Orleans so I'll be heading to Baton Rouge bright and early tomorrow morning

OOS is interviewing tomorrow correct? Well good luck everybody! Hope you are enjoying the school, the springy weather, and some southern hospitality.

PS- go like "LSU SVM Admissions" on Facebook if you haven't already. They post when decisions go up so we can all look at our status checks and celebrate! ;) I just haven't seen it mentioned yet so I thought I'd poke everyone.

My husband was very disappointed that they didn't allow family to come to the orientation/reception session. Mississippi and Missouri both allowed and encouraged family to come to their's. I hope this is something LSU changes in the future. Because of this, he didn't get to see the warm, family-like environment that I saw. I really liked what I saw there, but I'm having a hard time convincing him.

Did ya'll get to go to Open House? I think that's what they hope our family sees. We went to Open House a couple of years ago, and it gave me and my husband a chance to talk to students.
Also, they allowed family in the first year classroom while we were waiting for interviews. My husband waited with me; so he got to hear the current students answer questions. There were parents in there with other applicants, too.

Yes, we went, but it was way too busy to really talk with everyone. I didn't know that he was allowed in the waiting room. There wasn't anyone else with the interviewees. They were ahead on interviews so I wasn't even in there very long. The interview itself went great! They were so nice and I didn't feel intimidated. The admin staff are great too!

My husband was very disappointed that they didn't allow family to come to the orientation/reception session. Mississippi and Missouri both allowed and encouraged family to come to their's. I hope this is something LSU changes in the future. Because of this, he didn't get to see the warm, family-like environment that I saw. I really liked what I saw there, but I'm having a hard time convincing him.

Just tell him if you get an AR contract seat, it'll save him a ton of money! Sometimes money is the way to negotiate with men ;) I'm glad to hear you liked it, I'm excited to go now!