LUCOM vs WVSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiamiGuy1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Would like to hear what everyone's opinions are. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
WVSOM. Seems obvious. Only one of these schools actually has sent kids to take the COMLEX, on rotations, and to residencies.

^ This, without invoking any religious references.

Reactions: 4 users
Contemplating both. LUCOM has a better location but WVSOM has been established for quite some time.

Contemplating both. LUCOM has a better location but WVSOM has been established for quite some time.

How big of a location difference is it? Is it just that you like the city/region better or is it next to your home and you'd commute and not have to worry about housing? If it mean free housing, estimate total differences in COA of each school. If its not a huge difference, then I already gave you the answer.

Honestly, no matter what, I'd still go with the more established school over one where I'd be in the second class ever to go. Its unlikely that they'll have things organized for clinicals, let alone the curriculum in general, by the time you would be going there.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this a serious question?

Reactions: 2 users
wow, i just read LUCOM's mission statement. It's awful. Why is it even accredited????!!!!

wow, i just read LUCOM's mission statement. It's awful. Why is it even accredited????!!!!
money-mayweather-o.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys. Would like to hear what everyone's opinions are. Thanks!
I am a student in the Inaugural class...thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I was hesitant to attend LUCOM for the reasons stated above: it's extremely conservative. Upon beginning school, there was definitely adjustment for me however, I have found VERY little that I don't love about this school. Our dean is amazing, this is not his first rodeo. Are there creationists on staff? Yes. Are there people who are extremely Christen? Definitely. Has it negatively impacted my education? I don't think so. Along with some differences in ideology for sure, comes a genuine feeling of not being "just a number" at my medical school which is something I was looking for. Our faculty is great, there are of course professors that I learn better from than others but that would be the case no matter where I go. I am in constant contact with friends who are OMS 1 students elsewhere and we have the same issues with school. Our administration has done an amazing job at collecting student impressions, suggestion and complaints and implementing change for the greater good of the class. We have a WIDE variety of faiths in our class and for the most part, everyone respects each other more-so than personal experiences at undergraduate campuses. Does Liberty have a reputation, no doubt about it, but I can honestly say I am one of the most liberal people you will probably meet and I love it here. As physicians we will come up against differing opinions indefinitely, I feel that interacting with such a wide range of opinions and beliefs has helped me (in just my few short months) develop tools that I will use with patients and colleges in the future. If anyone has any personal questions feel free to ask I'm happy to share my experiences.

Reactions: 1 users